|Maria Bakalova Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||June 4, 1996|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Maria Bakalova is a Bulgarian actress who came into prominence after portraying the role of Tutar Sagdiyev, the shaggy daughter of the central character, in the mockumentary comedy film Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020). She has appeared in numerous other movies including Angels (2018) where she played the part of Angela and has been featured in a number of TV shows such as Tipichno (2015) in which she essayed the role of Maria. She is the recipient of various accolades for her phenomenal performances like the New York Film Critics Circle Awards in 2020 for “Best Supporting Actress”.
She attended the National School of Arts in Burgas, majoring in Drama Theater. She also majored in Drama at the Krastyo Sarafov National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts in Sofia, graduating in 2019.
She is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency, U.S.
- Insight Management & Production, U.K.
- JupiterLights Media
- Public Eye Communications
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
53 kg or 117 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Bulgarian descent.
She often tends to dye her hair in different shades.
- Expressive eyes
- Mole beneath her nose
- Shapely lips
- Tattoos on her body
Maria Bakalova Favorite Things
- Passion – Singing and playing the flute that she began doing from the age of 6 pursuing it right into her studies at the National School of Arts in Burgas, where she had earned a second major in flute
Source – Screen Rant
Maria Bakalova Facts
- She was raised in Bulgaria and had later shifted to Los Angeles in California.
- She has disclosed that she had responded to an open casting call for the movie Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, sent in a tape, and gone to London to audition for the part. Sacha Baron Cohen, a producer of the film along with being its lead actor, had chosen Bakalova from more than 600 women around the world who had auditioned for the coveted role of Tutar. The crew concluded she was the right pick after she acted in scenes with unsuspicious people who thought she was a real journalist. She turned out to be so believable, that she stayed in character and was taken on a tour of the White House.
- Maria has recounted that she was asked to show up as stinky, dirty, and repulsive for one of her screen tests for the film Borat 2, following which she had concocted a dreadful perfume. She was shooting another movie at the time and could not shower or brush her teeth for 10 days so instead, she made a secret weapon using a lethal combination of onions, vinegar, and valerian pills, and applied it before her next audition. She has gone on to admit that she will never forget the smell and how she had herself ended up being grossed out by it.
- Maria has affirmed that she was overjoyed to represent Bulgaria in Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, being aware that there are hardly any leading characters for actors from her background or actors with a foreign accent.
- Maria has revealed that Borat 2 had required such secrecy that her real parents had not even known what the movie was until the premiere of its trailer. She had taken up the challenge and proved that she knew how to keep a secret.
- She speaks fluent Bulgarian.
- During the 2021 Golden Globes, she was nominated under the “Best Performance By an Actress In A Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy” category for her role in Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. This made her the first Bulgarian actress to receive a nomination for a Golden Globe Award.
- She won the 2021 Critics Choice Award for “Best Supporting Actress” for her role as Tutar Sagdiyev in the 2020 mockumentary comedy film, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.
Featured Image by Maria Bakalova / Instagram
Her weight is 55 kg