|Marianne Faithfull Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 29, 1946|
Marianne Faithfull is an English singer, songwriter, and actress who had become an overnight star in 1964 after the release of her single As Tears Go By. She was one of the leading female artists in the 1960s cultural phenomenon of ‘British Invasion’.
Marianne Evelyn Gabriel Faithfull
Hampstead, London, England, United Kingdom
Putney, Wandsworth, London, England, United Kingdom
Marianne had attended a primary school in Brixton, London, after which she had attended the St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Convent School, in Reading, Berkshire, as a charitably subsidized (bursary) student.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress
- Father – Robert Glynn Faithfull (Professor of Italian Literature at Bedford College of London University, Former British Army/Intelligence Officer, Former Spy) (d. 1998)
- Mother – Eva von Sacher-Masoch (Aristocrat, Ballerina, Dance Teacher) (d. 1991)
- Others – Simon Faithfull (Younger Half-Brother) (Artist, Sculptor), Artur Wolfgang von Sacher-Masoch (Maternal Grandfather) (Writer, Nobleman) (d. December 12, 1953), Flora von Sacher-Masoch (Maternal Grandmother), Alexander von Sacher-Masoch (Maternal Uncle) (Novelist) (d. August 17, 1972), Baron Leopold von Sacher-Masoch (Maternal Great Great Uncle) (Author) (d. 1895), Robert Dunbar (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Filmmaker, Producer) (d. April 29, 2000), Tatiana Blagoveshchenskaya (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Marina Adams (Ex-Sister-in-Law) (Architect), Margaret Dunbar (Ex-Sister-in-Law), Jennifer Dunbar Dorn (Ex-Sister-in-Law) (Film Director)
Rock, Folk, Alternative, Blues, Jazz
- Decca Records
- London Recordings
- Island Records
- RCA Records
- Hut Records/Virgin Records Limited
- NEMS Records
- Instinct Records/EMI
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Marianne has dated –
- Stash De Rola
- Brian Jones
- Gene Pitney (1964)
- John Dunbar (1964–1966) – Marianne had started dating British artist, collector, and former gallerist John Dunbar in 1964, and they got married a year later, on May 6, 1965. They have a son together named Nicholas Dunbar (b. November 10, 1965). They had parted ways in 1966.
- Mick Jagger (1966–1970)
- Jean De Breteuil (1971)
- David Bowie (1971–1972)
- Ben Brierly (1975–1986) – She had started dating Ben Brierly in 1975 and the couple got married on July 8, 1979. They eventually got divorced in 1986.
- Howard Tose (1985)
- Giorgio Della Terza (1987-1991) – Marianne had started dating actor Giorgio Della Terza in 1987 and they got married in 1988. The couple had parted ways in 1991.
- François Ravard (1994–2009)
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English descent on her father’s side and Austro-Hungarian descent on her mother’s side.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Neck-length, frizzy hair
- Affable smile
- Smoky, raspy voice
Marianne has been featured in the TV commercials for –
- Virgin Airlines (2000)
- GAP jeans (2002)
She had also been featured in a print advertisement for The GAP clothing stores (2002).
Marianne Faithfull Facts
- Marianne’s career in the entertainment industry was kickstarted accidentally. She was discovered at a 1964 Rolling Stones party by English record producer, talent manager, impresario, and author Andrew Loog Oldham.
- The word ‘masochism’ was derived from the last name of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, Marianne’s maternal great great uncle and a member of the aristocratic Sacher-Masoch family. The word was coined due to the content of his 1870 novella Venus in Furs.
- In 1999, VH1 had placed her at number 25 in its list of the ‘100 Greatest Women of Rock and Roll’.
- In 2011, she was awarded the ‘Commandeur of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres’, one of France’s highest cultural honors.
Featured Image by Marianne Faithfull / Instagram