|Marine Le Pen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||August 5, 1968|
Marine Le Pen is a French politician and lawyer who started serving as the President of the National Rally political party in 2011. She became a part of France’s National Assembly (lower house of Parliament) in June 2017 and was a member of the European Parliament from 2004 to 2017. Marine has also run for the French Presidency twice, she stood 3rd in 2012 behind François Hollande and Nicolas Sarkozy, and finished at 2nd place in the 2017 election, losing to Emmanuel Macron in the 2nd round of voting. She is widely credited with softening the extremist image of her political party and has expelled many members from the party, including her father in August 2015.
Marion Anne Perrine Le Pen
Neuilly-sur-Seine, Paris, France
Saint-Cloud, Paris, France
Marine completed her schooling from the Lycée Florent Schmitt high school in Saint-Cloud, Paris. She then studied law at Panthéon-Assas University, Paris and graduated with a ‘Master of Laws’ degree in 1991 and a ‘Master of Advanced Studies’ degree in criminal law in 1992.
- Father – Jean-Marie Le Pen (Politician) (Former Military Paratrooper)
- Mother – Pierrette Lalanne (Former Model)
- Siblings – Yann Le Pen (Older Sister), Marie Caroline Le Pen (Older Sister) (Politician)
- Others – Marion Maréchal (Niece) (Politician), Nolwenn Olivier (Niece), Pierre Olivier (Nephew)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Marine has dated –
- Franck Chauffroy (1995-2000) – Marine married business executive Franck Chauffroy in 1995. The couple has 3 children together – a daughter named Jehanne Chauffroy (b. 1998) and twins Mathilde Chauffroy and Louis Chauffroy (b.1999). They separated in 2000.
- Eric Lorio (2002-2006) – Marine got married to Eric Lorio, the former national secretary of the National Front (now National Rally) in 2002. The couple got divorced in 2006.
- Louis Aliot (2009-Present) – In 2009, she started dating Louis Aliot, a French politician and lawyer, who became the vice president of the National Rally in 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of French, Breton, Swiss, and Maltese descent.
- Neck-length blonde hair
- Dimpled smile
- Always wears a locket or a necklace
Marine Le Pen Favorite Things
- Pet – Cats
- Pastime – Karaoke singing
- Politician – Vladimir Putin
Marine Le Pen Facts
- In 1976, a bomb planted by extremists went off in Marine’s home. The attack was aimed at her politician father. Fortunately, Marine and her family escaped unscathed from the incident.
- While at university, she participated in the National Circle of Students of Paris (CNEP), a movement close to the National Front (later renamed as National Rally), her father’s political party.
- She won her first political election in 1988 when she was elected as a Regional Councillor for Nord-Pas-de-Calais.
- In 1992, she obtained a certification of aptitude and became a lawyer at the Paris Bar where she practiced law till 1998. After leaving the practice, she joined the legal department of the National Front which she led until 2003.
- After becoming the President of the National Rally political party in 2011, Marine tried to re-shape the party’s image by moving away from its hardline nationalistic policies and relaxing some of its conservative political positions. She also advocated for civil unions for same-sex couples and acceptance of unconditional abortion.
- She has also been firm in her opposition to globalization and has called for France to leave the Eurozone through a Brexit-style referendum.
- Marine was placed in Time magazine’s annual “Time 100” list in 2011 and 2015.
- For her work as a member of the European Parliament (2004-2017), she was ranked by Politico as the second-most influential figure in the European parliament in 2016.
Featured Image by Rémi Noyon / Flickr / CC BY-2.0