|Mariusz Czerkawski Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||April 13, 1972|
Mariusz Czerkawski is a Polish former professional ice hockey player and actor. He played in the NHL for teams such as GKS Tychy (1988-1991), Boston Bruins (1993-1994, 1994-1996, 2005-2006), New York Islanders (1997-2002), Monreal Canadiens (2002–2003) and Toronto Maple Leafs (2005-2006).
Mariusz Krzysztof Czerkawski
Marish, Marishka, Chow, The Polish Prince
Radomsko, Lódzkie, Poland
Former Professional Ice Hockey Player, Actor
- Father – Dariusz Czerkawski
- Mother – Grażyna Czerkawska
- 6 – Toronto Maple Leafs
- 10 – Edmonton Oilers
- 19 – Boston Bruins
- 21 – Poland, New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers
- 27 – Montreal Canadiens
- 28 – New York Islanders
- 91 – Djurgårdens IF
6 ft or 183 cm
91 kg or 200.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mariusz Czerkawski has dated –
- Izabella Dorotea Scorupco (1996-1998) – He married a Polish-Swedish actress Izabella Scorupco on July 14, 1996. They have a daughter named Julia Scorupco, born on September 15, 1997, who later became a social media star and friend of Madison Pettis.
- Emilia Raszyńska (2002-Present) – Mariusz started dating a Polish model and 1st runner-up for 1999 Miss Poland, in 2002. They got married on September 1, 2007, and have a son named Iwo Czerkawski, born on May 29, 2009, who is an aspiring hockey player.
Race / Ethnicity
He has also dyed his hair ‘Dark Brown’ in the past.
- Droopy nose
- Tall height
Mariusz Czerkawski is a brand ambassador for Próchnik.
Mariusz Czerkawski Facts
- He played for Poland’s national team between 1989 and 2006.
- Mariusz was drafted by the Boston Bruins in the 5th round as the 18th pick and 106th overall player in the 1991 NHL Entry draft.
- When he was signed by a Swedish team, Djurgårdens IF, in the 1991-1992 season, he did not know a lick of Swedish and his English was terrible. His teammates helped him learn Swedish within a year.
- Lars Falk, the head coach of Djurgårdens IF, urged him to get a haircut because he sported a very long hair. He refused and later speculated whether this was the reason he was loaned to Hammarby IF in the 1992-1993 season.
- He made his debut for Boston Bruins at the end of the 1993-1994 NHL season, thus becoming the 1st person born and trained in Poland that played in the NHL. Other ice hockey players in NHL have been born in Poland but neither of them grew up there.
- Mariusz was the 1st Polish professional ice hockey player to be named an NHL All-Star, which happened in the 1999-2000 season.
- In the 2002-2003 season, Montreal Canadiens paid $1.8 million to buy him out of his contract to New York Islanders. New York Islanders signed him for the 2003-2004 season for $900k.
- During his time at New York Islanders, their new coach put him on the top line with Oleg Kvasha on the left-wing and Alexei Yashin on center. Mariusz unofficially called this partnership ‘Eastern European Bloc Connection’.
- He was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (5th Class) in 2004 for his contribution to the development of Polish ice hockey.
- One of his friends, Albert Klosiewicz, stated that during the peak of his career, Mariusz was on Polish TV every day. When interviewed, he added: “I don’t want to say he’s like Michael Jordan, but he’s on that track.” This is primarily because there was only one other Polish ice hockey in NHL at the time, Krzysztof Oliwa.
- He has been called “one-dimensional” and cited as having “a questionable attitude and work-ethic” by the critics.
- Even though he retired in 2008, Mariusz returned for play one final game in January 2009 for GKS Tychy, the 1st ice hockey team he played for.
- After he retired from ice hockey, he became a passionate golfer.
- He never revealed whether he follows a vegan diet but one of his favorite meals is Tofu with nori algae. Mariusz also admitted he’s a hummus addict.
- He is a big fan of Polish tennis. He has watched his favorite tennis player, Hubert Hurkacz, win the 2018 Poznań Open. His friend, Wojciech Fibak, a Polish former professional tennis player, entrepreneur, and art collector was also in attendance.
Featured Image by Mariusz Czerkawski / Instagram