|Matěj Švancer Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 26, 2004|
Matěj Švancer is a Czech-Austrian freestyle skier in slopestyle and big air who shot to fame after winning Gold at the Winter Youth Olympics in 2020, following which he started for Austria in the 2021-2022 season.
Prague, Czech Republic
He has gone to an Alpine Ski school.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Sharp features
- Cheerful smile
Matěj Švancer Favorite Things
- Trick – Double front flip
- Parks – Absolut Park, Cardrona
- Ski Patterns – Anti Ollila, Torin Yater-Wallace
- Food – Eggs, Pistachios
Source – FreeRide.cz
Matěj Švancer Facts
- He had changed citizenship from Czech to Austrian in February 2021. As he had been riding with the Austrian ski group for a long time, he had asked them about the change of nationality back in 2016. He never received the pass he wanted and had then switched from alpine skiing to freestyle skiing, going on to try again. That had only complicated matters and it took another 2 years, after which he realized that it was not a very big decision as he just wanted to ski. He had thought that as he would be paying for all the trips and costs incurred, it would be prudent to just relocate to Austria. He has loved competing for them and holding the passport and being completely Austrian.
- Matěj has recollected that his ski trip from the goals to the freestyle had been rather fast. He used to always go to the snow park after training with his buddies. It was a trip with the Freestyle Academy of Skiing to France, that had a huge impact on him when he had looked around a lot there and succeeded to learn to at least name the jumps. He went on to decide to finish the slopes around Christmas and in mid-January, he rode his first freestyle races that had been Q Parks on Planai where he finished 2nd. He had no clue how it worked and has felt lucky that he had met a few friends on the spot who had given him the best advice.
- Švancer has stated that he has enjoyed skiing in the Czech Republic and that he had first skied in Les Arcs in France when he had been only 2 years old and had been with his family. His family would frequently go to Austria, just on ski holidays. He has added that after he finished school in Czech and passed the tests for one in Austria, he had shifted there. The main reason, however, had been something other than skiing.
- Švancer has affirmed that his ski school being an Alpine Ski institution has had the timetable built more around that, and not freestyle, having been mostly alpine and nordic combined with him having been a freestyler along with only three others. His skiing had improved greatly after he was allowed to shred with people in his school.
- Matěj has disclosed that he has relished combining some of the styles he has seen but has, nevertheless banked mainly on his own. He has never longed to ride exactly how someone else has and has at the most liked mixing in a little bit.
- When not skiing, he has cherished riding a lot of skateboarding as well as inline skiing, wakeboarding in the summer, along with going on the downhill bike mostly in Leogang.
Featured Image by Matěj Švancer / Instagram