|Matthew Gray Gubler Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||March 9, 1980|
Matthew Gray Gubler is an American actor, voiceover artist, filmmaker, fashion model, painter, illustrator, director, and author who is known for playing criminal profiler Dr. Spencer Reid in the CBS television show Criminal Minds, Raymond in the comedy horror film Suburban Gothic, Alex #30 in the social Internet series The Beauty Inside, Chip in the dark crime comedy thriller film 68 Kill, Paul in the romantic comedy-drama film (500) Days of Summer, Bart in the black comedy crime horror film How to Be a Serial Killer, and Mr. Claybaugh in the horror film Excision. In addition to that, he has also done voiceover work in a number of projects including Alvin and the Chipmunks, Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur, Batman: Assault on Arkham, All-Star Superman, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked.
Matthew Gray Gubler
Strudel Goolar, The Gube, MGG
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
He divides his time among –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- New York City, New York, United States
For high school education, Matthew went to the Las Vegas Academy of International Studies, Visual and Performing Arts from where he graduated with a major in acting.
Then, he got enrolled at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. In 2002, he graduated with a major in film directing.
Actor, Director, Fashion Model, Voice Actor, Artist, Filmmaker, Painter, Illustrator, Author
- Father – John Gubler (Attorney)
- Mother – Marilyn Gubler (Political Consultant and Rancher)
- Siblings – Gray Gubler (Younger Brother) (Model and Actor), Laura Dahl (Older Sister) (Fashion Designer)
- Others – Vivian Gray Gubler (Paternal Grandfather), Loreta Isabel Newton (Paternal Grandmother), Maxwell S. Kelch (Maternal Grandfather) (Co-founder of Las Vegas’ first radio station, KENO), Laura Belle Gang (Maternal Grandmother) (Co-founder of Las Vegas’ first radio station, KENO)
Matthew Gubler has been represented by –
- ID Public Relations
- 3 Arts Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States
6 ft 1 in or 185 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matthew Gray Gubler has dated –
- Eve Wind – Matthew is reported to have dated singer Eve Wind for a brief period of time. It is estimated that they went out for a year before 2004.
- Charlotte Kemp Muhl (2004-2005) – Gubler started going out with model Charlotte Kemp Muhl in 2004. They made their first public appearance with a date at a swanky restaurant in Hollywood. Their relationship caused quite a stir as Charlotte was merely 16 years old when they started going out. By the time, they broke up, she was 17 years old.
- Kat Dennings (2007) – It seems that Matthew has a thing for young girls as Kat was 20 years old when they started dating. He himself was 26. They started going out in January 2007. They broke up in August but remained on good terms and even co-starred in Suburban Gothic in 2014.
- Marisa Morris (2008-2010) – Gubler hooked up with Portuguese actress Marisa Morris in 2008. They went out for under two years before they decided to go separate ways in 2010.
- Victoria Asher (2010) – Matthew had a brief affair with musician Victoria Asher, the keytarist for Cobra Starship in 2010. Their affair was fairly short-lived and fizzled out in a couple of months.
- Ali Michael (2010-2013) – Matthew’s fascination with young women continued with model Ali Michael, who was 20 years old when they started going out in the latter half of 2010. In comparison, Matthew was 33. Their relationship became public knowledge in August 2010 after they were pictured on a date at Urth Cafe in Los Angeles. However, the rumors of them being a couple were circulating since July, as they were spotted tweeting back and forth.
- Rachel Bourlier (2011) – Gubler reportedly hooked up with French journalist Rachel Bourlier in the summer of 2011. They had met at the 51st Monte Carlo television festival in June, which he was attending for the promotion of his show and to accept an award. They were spotted out on June 15 at famous landmarks such as the Rodin museum and de l’Hotel-de-Ville and they even had a picnic on Saint-Louis Island.
- Taylor Swift (2013) – Matthew was RUMORed to be seeing pop star Taylor Swift in 2013 after he was spotted in her kitchen on the eve of 4th July. Plus, their Snapchat posts on the same day had many similarities. However, their relationship couldn’t blossom into something serious due to their work commitments and conflicting schedule.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he is of Manx, Swiss-German, Irish, English, and Scottish descent, whereas, on his mother’s side, he has Scottish, English, German, and Dutch ancestry.
His messy hairstyle
Best Known For
Portraying the role of Dr. Spencer Reid in the crime thriller TV show, Criminal Minds.
In 2004, Gubler made his film debut in the dramedy film, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou for his role as Intern #1.
As a voice actor, he made his theatrical film debut by providing vocals to the character of Simon Seville in the live-action/computer-animated musical comedy film, Alvin and the Chipmunks, in 2007.
First TV Show
In 2005, he made his first TV show appearance in the role of Dr. Spencer Reid in the CBS crime drama series, Criminal Minds.
Matthew Gray Gubler Favorite Things
- TV Show – Carnivàle (2003-2005), The Cosby Show (1984-1992)
- Director – Wes Anderson
- Book – The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Butter Battle Book
- Music – The Wind in the Trees
- Film – Mary Poppins (1964)
- Valentine’s Day Playlist – Sleep Walk (By Santo & Johnny), Dramamine (By Modest Mouse), You Send Me (By Sam Cooke), J’y Suis Jamais Alle (By Yan Tiersen), Perfect Day (By Lou Reed)
Matthew Gray Gubler Facts
- He had to use a cane in one of the episodes of season 5 of Criminal Minds because he had dislocated his knee while dancing. It was covered up in the script by showing that his character was shot in the knee. He had to undergo three surgeries for it.
- Before becoming an actor, he excelled as a model. He was placed on the 46th position in the list of “Top 50 Male Models” on models.com.
- He was discovered while he was studying at New York University film school. He subsequently signed up with DNA Model Management.
- He was regularly bullied while growing up, which he claims made him stick closer to what he was and become a solid individual.
- He appeared as Paul, one of Tom’s friends, in 500 Days of Summer and during its filming in Los Angeles, he dislocated his knee while out dancing.
- In November 2014, he became an ordained minister so that he could perform the wedding ceremony of his former Criminal Minds co-star Paget Brewster and Steve Damstra’s wedding.
- He doesn’t like being called Matt because that was the name used by bullies when he was growing up.
- In his free time, he likes to paint. He started posting his painting works, which include watercolor, gouache, oil, and pastel on his website in 2005.
- In September 2005, a painting exhibition featuring his 12 watercolor works was held at the Gallery of Fine Art in Ostrava, Czech Republic. All of his works were sold.
- He always abstains from wearing matching socks because he believes matching socks bring bad luck. He inherited this superstition from his grandmother.
- In October 2011, his original watercolor painting, Mushface was auctioned for $10,100 on eBay. All the proceeds from the auction were donated to Smith Center for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas.