McKayla Rose Maroney
McKayla, Mack, Air Maroney, Fab Five / Fierce Five (along with her Olympic teammates)
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
Long Beach, California, United States
McKayla was homeschooled, to accommodate her rigorous 8 hours-a-day training, in preparation for becoming an elite gymnast. She graduated in 2014.
For higher education, she is interested in studying Health and Psychology as well as learning music production. McKayla told Seventeen Magazine, that although she is interested in enrolling for a college education to major in the aforementioned subjects, the likelihood of doing so would be at close to the age of 30.
Former Olympic Gymnast, Actress, Aspiring Singer / Songwriter
- Father – Mike Maroney (Quarterback at Purdue University)
- Mother – Erin Maroney
- Siblings – Kavenaugh / Kav Maroney (Younger Brother), Tarynn Maroney (Younger Sister)
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
53 kg or 117 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
- As an elite gymnast, McKayla split most of her time between training and studying. Moreover, in an interview, she reiterated that gymnasts in her training community were not allowed to have a boyfriend.
- Ever since she retired in February 2016, she has not dated anyone publicly.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Irish descent.
- Pug Nose
- A strong and toned yet curvaceous physical frame
35-26-36 in or 89-66-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU) or 10 (UK)
6 (US) or 36.5 (EU)
McKayla has done endorsement work for the following brands
Best Known For
- Her proficiency on the Vault in Women’s Gymnastics which won her 11 Gold medals and 1 Olympic Silver medal.
First Gymnastic Match
She competed for the first time in 2009 in the junior division of USA Gymnastics National Championships also called as Visa Championships in Dallas, Texas. She was 13 years old at the time and won a Bronze medal in vault.
She has not appeared in any feature film.
First TV Show
Her first TV show appearance was in 2012 as Tonya on the comedy-drama series Hart of Dixie.
Post-retirement, McKayla has turned vegan and subscribes to the principles of the Indian herbal medicine, Ayurveda. She has a Kapha body type, according to Ayurveda, which means that she is required to do some form of cardio every day.
McKayla has hired a personal trainer for a full body workout twice a week and also practices Pilates and yoga as frequently as she can.
McKayla Maroney Favorite Things
- Food – Sushi
- Fruits – Mangoes, Strawberries
- Childhood Movie – Tarzan (1999) (animated movie)
- Gymnast – Carly Patterson
- Gymnastics Event – Floor routine
- School Subject – English
- Hobbies / Activities – Going to the beach, watching movies, being by the pool, shopping
- Singers / Music Artists – Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Drake, Mariah Carey, Taylor Swift, Chris Brown, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Beyonce
- Books – Audrey Wait, Tucks Everlasting, Hunger Games series, Uglies series, Percy Jackson series, The Last Song, A Dogs Life, The Mysterious Benedict Society
- Movies – Yes Man, Last Song, Transformers, Pirates, Shutter Island, The Guardian, Elf, Avatar, Inception
- TV Shows – Keeping up with the Kardashians, Jerseylicious, E! News, Pretty Little Liars, Make it or Break it
- Sports Other Than Gymnastics – Soccer, Ice skating and Tennis
McKayla Maroney Facts
- McKayla got involved with gymnastics at the age of 2.
- She was featured in a music video for the song Up in the Air (2013) by the band 30 Seconds to Mars.
- She ended up winning a silver medal even though she was a crowd favorite to win Gold at the 2012 Olympics. While standing on the podium, she pursed her lips to one side trying to hide her disappointment. Her picture went viral on the internet as several people converted it into a meme and called it her, “McKayla is not impressed” face.
- She acknowledged the memes made out of her ‘not impressed’ face in good humor and laughed it off during all her TV show appearances such as The Late Show with David Letterman, The Colbert Report and Dancing with the Stars.
- When McKayla’s gymnastics team, the Fierce Five were invited for a visit to the White House after winning the team Olympic Gold, President Barack Obama requested for a picture alongside McKayla sporting the ‘not impressed’ expression.
- After McKayla’s picture went viral on the Internet, her parents were frightened by the unwanted attention that came their daughter’s way. Several people had sent marriage proposals. Her parents hired professional security guards to protect her from stalkers.
- Her online popularity soared more than ever, post-retirement, but people brutally judged her for her changing appearances. She was accused of getting lip injections but McKayla clarified in an interview to Seventeen that she owed her evolving looks and plumper lips to a maturing body and make-up.
- In August 2014, McKayla was one of the 500 female celebrities whose n*de images were accessed and leaked online by hackers through cloud computing services.
- In May 2017, McKayla posted a video of herself dancing in a thong on her Instagram account. While some people trolled her for getting butt implants other people criticized her behavior and pointed out that it did not befit someone who is a role model to young girls.
- She invested her post-retirement period by engaging in acting gigs, learning music and celebrating her youth and new found freedom.
- In October 2017, she accused the USA Gymnastics team doctor, Larry Nassar of s@xually molesting her since the age of 13 till the entire time she served on the team. At that time, Nassar was already in jail on several accounts of s#xual misconduct against him filed by many other athletes and was awaiting his final sentence.
- To cut back on the intense judgments and trolling she often faces online, McKayla discontinued her official website and deleted her Twitter and Instagram accounts. She stated she needed to take that action to regain her sanity.
- After retiring from competitive gymnastics, McKayla disclosed that she was not eating very healthy while competing and would often drink 24 ounces of Coke in a single stretch which probably aggravated her adrenal fatigue and indirectly contributed to other injuries.
- Retirement from gymnastics in 2016 liberated her from an intense training regimen that she was following since early childhood.
- To know more about the former athlete, follow her on Facebook.
Featured Image by Pete Souza / Flickr / Public Domain