|Melissa Barrera Quick Info
|5 ft 7 in
|Date of Birth
|July 4, 1990
Melissa Barrera is a Mexican actress and singer who rose to prominence with her work in the Mexican telenovela Siempre Tuya Acapulco (2013). In 2013, she was a part of the singing duo Melissa y Sebastian through which she released her first album. Melissa is also well known for playing the character of Isabel Cantú in the acclaimed TV series Club de Cuervos (2017), which was the first Spanish-language Netflix original series.
Melissa Barrera Martínez
Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
Los Angeles, California, United States
Melissa completed her high school graduation from the American School Foundation of Monterrey. She then auditioned for and was selected, in 2009, in the Collaborative Arts Project 21 (CAP21) which is a part of the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University (NYU).
- Father – Tomás Gerardo Barrera Tames (Film Producer)
- Mother – Rosana Maria Martinez García
- Siblings – She has 3 younger sisters.
She is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- George Salinas, Manager, Crossover Entertainment, Los Angeles, California, United States
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Melissa has dated –
- Paco Zazueta (2011–Present) – Melissa began dating Mexican singer Paco Zazueta in September 2011. The couple eventually got married in 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Mexican descent.
- Long, straight shoulder-length hair
- Arched Eyebrows
- Lean Physique
- Affable smile
Melissa Barrera Favorite Things
- Sport – Basketball
- Actress – Rita Moreno
- Adventure Sports – Rock Climbing, Water skiing
- Skincare Brand – Osea
- Movie Genre – Musicals
- Cuisine – Mexican
- Snack – Tacos
- Movie – West Side Story (1961)
Melissa Barrera Facts
- She began getting attracted to the theater during her middle school years when she participated in school plays such as The Wizard of Oz, Grease, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Aida.
- Her professional career began when she starred with the lead role of Julieta in the Mexican production of Romeo y Julieta, while she was in the last year of her high school. She then acted in a regional production of the play Footloose in the lead role of Ariel before leaving for college.
- While she was at the New York University, Melissa participated in theatre productions such as Sweet Charity and The Caucasian Chalk Circle.
- In 2011, just after leaving university, she was selected to participate in the Mexican reality talent musical show La Academia where she received a lot of recognition for her singing skills.
- By the end of 2011, she landed an acting role in a TV Azteca telenovela titled La Mujer de Judas. Her early acting work helped her get the role of Olvido in the 2014 telenovela Siempre Tuya Acapulco for which she garnered several accolades and got established as one of the most promising actors in Mexican television.
- Melissa’s first top 10 radio hit came with her very first single titled Mamma Maria, as a part of the singing duo Melissa y Sebastian.
- For portraying the character of Maria in the hit Spanish musical Hoy No Me Puedo Levantar, Melissa won the “Revelation in Theatre” award from the Agrupación de Periodistas Teatrales (APT) and the “Female Revelation in a Musical” award from the Agrupación de Críticos y Periodistas de Teatro (ACPT).
- In 2015, she performed the theme song titled Volver a caer for the telenovela Tanto Amor, where she played the lead role of Mía González. The song was recorded in collaboration with famed Mexican singer Kalimba.
- In April 2019, Melissa was selected for the starring role of Vanessa in the 2020 movie adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda‘s musical titled In the Heights.
- In November 2023, she was removed from the horror movie Scream VII after she posted pro-Gaza posts on social media in the middle of the Israel-Hamas war.
Featured Image by Melissa Barrera / Instagram