|Michy Batshuayi Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||October 2, 1993|
Michy Batshuayi made scouts from the leading European clubs take notice of his considerable talent in the 2013-14 season. He had managed to score 21 goals, which helped him finish as the 2nd best goalscorer after Lokeren‘s Hamdi Harbaoui in the league. His great performances for Standard Liège helped him secure a move to Marseille. His instinctive finishing and attacking movement at Marseille got him a transfer to Chelsea. However, at Chelsea, he wasn’t able to establish himself in the starting line-up with different managers finding it difficult to place their trust in the young striker.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Pino Batshuayi
- Mother – Viviane Leya Iseka
- Siblings – Aaron Leya Iseka (Younger Brother) (Professional Soccer Player)
Michy Batshuayi is represented by Meissa N’Diaye.
23 – Standard Liège, Chelsea FC, Belgium National team, Valencia CF
30 – Standard Liège
22 – Olympique Marseille, Belgium National team
42, 44 – Borussia Dortmund
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 m
84 kg or 185 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Congolese descent.
He loves to highlight his hair in bright hues.
His unique and eye-catching hairstyles
Michy Batshuayi has inked a personal endorsement deal with Adidas which requires him to wear the German brand’s footwear for his professional matches.
Best Known For
- Being one of the best young Belgian attacking players
- Having played for some of the most prestigious European clubs including Marseille, Chelsea, Standard Liège, Valencia, and Borussia Dortmund
First Soccer Match
In February 2011, Michy Batshuayi made his professional debut with Standard Liège in an away match against Gent. He replaced Franck Berrier with 7 minutes remaining on the clock.
In August 2014, he made his first appearance for Marseille in a 3-2 win over Bastia. He was sent in for Dimitri Payet late in the 2nd half.
In August 2016, he made his competitive debut for Chelsea in the first match of the new league campaign against West Ham United. He came off the bench in the 2nd half to create Diego Costa‘s late winner in a 2-1 win.
In March 2015, Batshuayi made his first international appearance in a UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match against Cyprus. He also managed to score his first international goal in the match as he found the net from outside the penalty area in a 5-0 win.
- Linkup play
- Aerial Duels
- Offside Timing
- Ability to hold the ball
Michy Batshuayi regularly works out in the gym to improve his game and physical attributes. He is particularly fond of working on his leg muscles. He also follows a special training regime during the off-season to make sure that he is up for the demands of the new season.
Michy Batshuayi Facts
- In December 2011, he scored his first professional goal in the last UEFA Europa League group stage match against F.C. Copenhagen. His goal helped his side progress to the knockout round.
- In April 2012, he got the first red card of his professional career after he was sent off for stamping on the chest of Jeroen Simaeys. He was handed a 4-match ban by the Royal Belgian Football Association.
- He was again sent off in September 2012 for elbowing Benjamin Delacourt in the first half an hour of the match against Mouscron in the Belgian domestic cup. He was slapped with a 2-match ban.
- In September 2013, he scored his first professional hat-trick in a match against Oostende in the 4-2 win.
- The 2013-14 season proved to be his breakthrough season with Standard Liège. He scored 21 goals in 38 matches and was given the Ebony Shoe Award, which is reserved for the best player of the African origin.
- In August 2014, Marseille paid a transfer fee of £4.5 million to buy him from Standard Liège. He scored his first goal for the club in October 2014 in a match against Rennes in the Coupe de la Ligue.
- In April 2016, he was heavily linked with a move to West Ham United. It was even claimed that the London-based club had submitted a €35 million bid.
- In June 2016, Crystal Palace submitted a €38 million (£31.5 million) bid. The offer was accepted by the club but Michy wanted to wait for the bid from a bigger club.
- Batshuayi agreed to a move to Chelsea with the English club submitting a bid worth €40 million (£33.2 million) with Marseille. He left Belgium’s UEFA Euro 2016 squad to undergo medical examinations and signed a new deal in July 2016.
- He was the first signing of the new Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte. However, he still wasn’t given sufficient chances by the Italian manager despite delivering well in the limited opportunities during Conte’s reign at Chelsea.
- In August 2016, he scored his first Premier League goal for Chelsea in their 2-1 victory over Watford.
- In his first match for Borussia Dortmund, he scored a brace and recorded an assist. He had scored the 3rd goal as well but it was disallowed as it was found via VAR (video assistant referee) that he was in the offside position. He had been sent on a season-long loan to the German club.
- Before he was called up by the Belgium senior squad, he was approached by DR Congo FA. However, in March 2015, he issued a public statement underlining his desire to play for the Belgian national team.
- In November 2017, it was rumored on the social media that Batshuayi was going to become the first openly gay player in the Premier League. However, he rubbished such rumors with a cheeky tweet.
Featured Image by Michy Batshuayi / Instagram