|Mike Dirnt Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||May 4, 1972|
Mike Dirnt is the musician, songwriter, and composer who is a member of the punk rock band Green Day. Along with school friend Billie Joe Armstrong, he started the band Green Day in 1986. In the early stages, Green Day was known as “Sweet Children”. With his band, he has released over a dozen albums such as Revolution Radio, American Idiot, Dookie, etc.
Michael Ryan Pritchard
Mike Dirnt, Van Gough
Oakland, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Mike Dirnt went to the Carquinez Middle School. He later got enrolled at the Salesian High School. However, he studied at this all-boys Catholic school for the first year only and then shifted to the Pinole Valley High School and graduated from there in June 1990.
Musician, songwriter, composer, bassist
- Mother – Carol Alba Rowland
- Siblings – Myla (Sister)
- Others – Cheryl Nasser (Adoptive Mother), Patrick Pritchard (Adoptive Father)
Mike Dirnt’s music band is represented by Creative Artists Agency.
Punk rock, alternative rock, pop punk, garage rock, new wave, garage punk
Bass, vocals, guitar, keyboards, drums
Reprise, Lookout, Adeline Records
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mike Dirnt has dated
- Anastasia Serman (1996-1999) – Mike Dirnt got married to Anastasia Serman in 1996. She gave birth to their daughter, Estelle Desiree in December 1996. However, their marriage came to an end in 1999. He was later embroiled in a custody battle for Desiree and in 2008, managed to win full custody. He took her to live with him in Oakland.
- Sarah Garrity (2004) – In 2004, Mike got married to his girlfriend Sarah Garrity in a romantic but private ceremony at a villa in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. But their marriage didn’t even last beyond the end of the year.
- Brittney Cade (2009-Present) – Mike Dirnt first met Brittney Cade in the early months of 2004 at the Japanese restaurant Sushi Roku in Los Angeles. They remained good friends for about one and a half years before he managed to gather enough courage to ask her out for dinner. In October 2007, he proposed to her in Venice during their backpacking trip through Europe. They got married in a private ceremony in her hometown of Ojai, California. In October 2008, Brittney gave birth to their first child, Brixton Michael. They welcomed their daughter, Ryan Ruby Mae into their family in November 2010.
Race / Ethnicity
Dark Brown (Natural)
But, he has dyed his hair ‘blonde’ throughout his career.
- Bright Blue eyes
- Dyed Blonde locks
Mike Dirnt’s music group’s work has been used in a series of TV commercials. Their song Holiday and their cartoon versions were used in an advert by Yahoo.
Green Day’s music was also used in a TV commercial for Pepsi.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the punk rock band, Green Day, which is credited with making punk rock music mainstream in the United States. The band has also achieved tremendous commercial success and has sold over 85 million records all over the world. Also, their multiple albums have debuted at the top of Billboard 200.
- Having played music with many other rock bands such as Foxboro Hot Tubs, The Frustrators, Screeching Weasel, and Squirtgun.
In April 1990, his music group Green Day released their debut studio album, 39/Smooth. The album’s initial commercial success was minimal as they sold under 3,000 records within the first year. But once they became popular, the sales of the album picked up as well.
In 2006, he made his theatrical film debut by lending his voice to the animated musical movie, Live Freaky Die Freaky.
First TV Show
In 1994, Mike Dirnt made his first TV show appearance in the music TV series, 120 Minutes.
Mike Dirnt has a disciplined workout regime in place. He relies mostly on bodyweight exercises for his workout needs. He has a habit of doing pushups before his stage shows. He believes that push-ups give him the needed energy for his performances. He also pops in few vitamins before the show.
Mike Dirnt Favorite Things
- Bass Player – Cliff Burton
Source – Wikipedia
Mike Dirnt Facts
- He has collaborated with his Green Day bandmate and close friend Billie Joe Armstrong to establish Oakland Coffee Works, which focusses on selling sustainable and organic coffee beans.
- Amongst his various business endeavors in his native Northern California are two diners including Rudy’s Can’t Fail Café in Emeryville.
- Despite missing a number of classes due to illness, he excelled in school. The various illnesses were thought to be the result of his biological mother’s drug abuse.
- When his parents divorced, he initially lived with his father but he missed his mother so eventually moved in with her and his sister.
- He first met Billie Joe Armstrong when he was 10 years old. They met in their middle school’s cafeteria. They used to spend most of their time playing music at Armstrong’s house.
- At the age of 14, he and Armstrong collaborated to start their music band called Sweet Children.
- In his teens, he started working as a chef at a seafood restaurant called Nantucket to ease his family’s financial trouble. He was also able to save enough money to buy a pickup truck that he and Armstrong used to get to attend various shows.
- In those early days, he often used to attend music shows at 924 Gilman Street, an influential Berkeley based punk club, along with Armstrong. They even took a part-time job of security guards at the club.
- As his mother was struggling to provide for him and his sister, she decided to move out of town in 1987 but Mike didn’t want to leave Sweet Children, so he and Armstrong managed to convince their parents to allow Mike to live in Armstrong’s garage.
- The Green Day went on their first van tour in June 1990. Exactly on the same day, Mike graduated from the high school.
- Green Day was adopted as band’s name because of band members’ love for cannabis.
- While performing in Irvine in 1998, he was involved in a backstage scuffle with Third Eye Blind bassist Arion Salazar, who had run on stage and had bearhugged Dirnt. During the argument, he was hit in the head with a beer bottle thrown by a fan, resulting in a small fracture.
- At the iHeartRadio Music Festival, he and Armstrong smashed their bass and guitar on the stage after Green Day’s performance was cut short for Usher’s performance.
- In the run-up to the 2016 US Presidential Election, he was a staunch supporter of the Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders.
- In April 2015, Green Day was added to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was their first year of eligibility.
- His music band’s albums American Idiot and Dookie have been included by Rolling Stones in their list featuring 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
- Green Day was heavily criticized in July 2017 after they went ahead with their performance at Mad Cool festival in Madrid despite an acrobat dying 20 minutes before they were about to take the stage.
- He got the last name of his stage name because of his habit of playing Air Bass Guitar and making ‘Dirnt, Dirnt, Dirnt’ noise while playing it.
- In January 2013, his biological father passed away. He had managed to meet him for the first time just a month before his death.
- Follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Alvaranstrong / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0