|Vijay Babu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 14, 1976|
Vijay Babu is an Indian film producer, actor, and businessman who has primarily worked in the Malayalam film industry. He is best known for producing and starring in the films Philips and the Monkey Pen (2013), Peruchazhi (2014), Aadu (2015), Mudhugauv (2016), Aadu 2 (2017), and Home (2021). He is the founder of a film production company called Friday Film House through which he is known to support many experimental films and upcoming filmmakers.
Kollam, Kerala, India
He splits his time between Kerala, India, and Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Vijay had attended the St. Jude School in his hometown of Kollam. After his high school graduation, he joined Loyola College, a private Catholic higher education institution in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Film Producer, Actor, Businessman
- Father – Subashchandra Babu
- Mother – Maya Babu
- Siblings – Vinay Babu (Brother) (Producer), Vijayalakshmi Suraj (Sister)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vijay has dated –
- Smitha Vijay – Through his long-term marriage to Smitha, a Dubai-based executive, Vijay has a son named Bharath Vijay.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, wavy hair
- Sports a thick beard
Vijay Babu Facts
- He had started his career in the media industry with STAR India, an Indian media conglomerate based in Mumbai. In 2002, he won the ‘Best Employee’ award there but had quit his job by the end of the year to venture as an entrepreneur in Dubai.
- A few years later, he joined Asianet, an Indian Malayalam language general entertainment pay-TV channel as its COO. He had also worked for a while with Sitara TV in Hyderabad.
- In 2009, he returned to his native state of Kerala and joined Surya TV, a Malayalam-language Indian general entertainment pay-TV channel as its vice president.
- He had quit his career as a media executive in 2013 and joined the Malayalam film industry as an actor and producer.
- In 2014, he won the Kerala State Film Award (as producer) in the category of ‘Best Children’s Film for Philips and the Monkey Pen (2013).
- The 2020 Malayalam-language romantic drama film, titled Sufiyum Sujatayum, produced by Vijay, under his banner Friday Film House, was the first Malayalam film to have a direct release on an OTT platform.
- He was embroiled in controversy in April 2022 when a young actress from the Malayalam film industry had accused him of s*xual and physical abuse over the past 2 months in the guise of friendship. A criminal case was registered against him and the local police had started an investigation.
- It was reported that Vijay had fled to Dubai after the issue came to light. Thereafter, Indian police authorities issued a lookout circular for him at all Indian airports and were planning to search his properties for evidence. A few days later, via a live stream on Facebook, he had denied all allegations against him, stating that he would countersue the actress for defamation.
- In that video, he had accidentally named his accuser which led to him being charged further under Section 228A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for violating the victim’s anonymity.
Featured Image by Vijay Babu / Instagram