|Mithun Chakraborty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||June 16, 1950|
Mithun Chakraborty is an Indian actor known for his work in films like Disco Dancer, OMG – Oh My God!, Guru, and Swami Vivekananda. He belongs to a Bengali family and was a Naxalite before he joined films. He is also remembered for films like Surakshaa, Sahhas, Wardat, Mujrim, Agneepath, Yugandhar, Don, and Jallaad. His performance as the famous Krishnan Iyer Nariyal Paniwala in the film Agneepath won him a Filmfare Award of “Best Supporting Actor”. Other than acting, he also owns the Monarch Group, which has interests in the hospitality sector and the educational sector. He also has his own production house. Chakraborty was also a member of the parliament and has also served as the grandmaster for the hit TV reality show Dance India Dance.
He made his film debut with the film Mrigayaa that was directed by Mrinal Sen. Mrinal spotted Mithun in FTII and offered him the role. He won a National Film Award for his performance in the film. Mithun Chakraborty ruled the Indian film industry in the 80s by giving major hit films which include his film Disco Dancer that extended Chakraborty’s popularity across India and Russia as well. Mithun has also been the highest taxpayer between 1995 to 1999. He has done numerous films across different languages and has won many awards including National Award.
Mithun, Mithun Da
Barisal, East Bengal, Pakistan
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mithun attended the Scottish Church College in Kolkata and then, later on, went to the Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
Actor, Entrepreneur, Television Presenter
- Father – Basantokumar Chakraborty (Supervisor, Telephone Exchange)
- Mother – Santirani Chakraborty
- Siblings – He has 3 sisters and had a brother who was killed in a freak accident.
- Others – Jaswant (Father-in-law) (Actor), Haridarshan Kaur (Mother-in-law) (Producer)
Mithun is represented by V.J. Upadhyay.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mithun has dated –
- Sarika – Mithun and Sarika, who is an actress were in a relationship in the late 1970s. They met on a film set and dated for a few months before breaking up.
- Helena Luke (1979) – Helena Luke, who was a model and an actress during the 80s got married to Mithun in 1979. She was dating actor Javed Khan and soon after their breakup she married Mithun but their marriage lasted only for 4 months. She claimed in an interview that she had a problem with Mithun’s miser like behavior and hence they filed for divorce.
- Yogeeta Bali (1979-Present) – Mithun and Yogeeta became friends on the sets of film Be-Shaque. The two connected to each other as Yogeeta was facing issues in her marriage with Kishore Kumar and Mithun had just had a divorce with Helena. Yogeeta found him to be a perfect partner and they tied the knot in 1979. They have 3 sons together named Mahaakshay Chakraborty (b. July 30, 1984), Ushmey Chakraborty, and Namashi Chakraborty and a daughter named Dishani Chakraborty.
- Sridevi (1985-1988) – Mithun and Sridevi, who was a famous actress met on the sets of Jaag Utha Insan (1984). They apparently got close while Mithun was already married to Yogeeta Bali. There was a rumor that they did a court marriage but the two denied it. Due to all these rumors doing the rounds, Yogeeta even tried to commit suicide and hence Mithun decided to not to leave his wife. Sridevi and Mithun broke up once she found out that he was still in a relationship with Yogeeta.
Race / Ethnicity
He belongs to Bengali descent.
- Good face cut
Mithun has been a brand ambassador of various brands like –
- Panasonic Electronics (1980)
- Channel 10
- Manappuram Gold Loan
Best Known For
Portraying lead roles in films like Disco Dancer (1982), Tahader Katha (1992), and Swami Vivekananda (1998)
He made his theatrical film debut as Ghinua in Mrigayaa in 1976, for which he also won a National Award for “Best Actor”.
He made his theatrical film debut in Bollywood as Ghanti in the drama-thriller Do Anjaane in 1976.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as “Grand Master” on the dance reality show Dance India Dance in January 2009.
Mithun was a fitness enthusiast in his younger days. He then took up fitness again while he was shooting with Salman Khan for Veer. He got so inspired by him that after the shoot of the film, he invested 25 lakhs and set up a gym in his Madh Island farmhouse. Mithun is also a black belt in martial arts and was a professional wrestler before joining the film industry.
Mithun Chakraborty Favorite Things
- Sport – Football
- Hobbies – Cooking
Mithun Chakraborty Facts
- He worked as a junior artist before making his debut.
- He was a Naxalite in his young days but had to give everything up because of the accidental death of his brother.
- During his Naxal days, he was friends with Ravi Ranjan, a fellow Naxal.
- He cooks food for his entire family on his birthday.
- Mithun launched his son Mimoh Chakraborty in 2008.
- He has been a renowned dancer and was very famous with the tag “Disco Dancer”.
- As of September 2019, he has 5 books written on him by Bengali writers.
- He was involved in street theatre during his college days.
- Mithun was a member of Parliament and resigned in the year 2016.
- He has been a grandmaster on a lot of dance reality shows.
- In 2007, he founded the sports team Royal Bengal Tigers for the Indian Cricket League.
- In the past, he was mentally prepared to change his name to Rana Rez.
- He has been a part of a lot of films that were shelved like Kashmakash (1985), Vachan (1996), MAQSADD The Plan (2008), and many more.
- Mithun was offered the film Iruvar that was directed by Mani Ratnam. He refused the role in the film because he was asked to cut his hair short.
- Sridevi opted out of a film with Mithun in the year 1994.
- Mithun recorded 4 songs for the Megaphone Company in 1985.
- He has been a part of a lot of regional films like Bengali, Oriya, Bhojpuri, Punjabi, and Telugu.
- In 1992, Mithun started Cine & T.V Artistes Association (CINTAA) with Dilip Kumar and Sunil Dutt, a trust that protects the artist’s right.
- In the 2010 film Golmaal 3, Mithun’s dancing style has been parodied.
- To honor Mithun Chakraborty, Guinea-Bissau issued a postal stamp in 2010.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Doniyor Sharipov / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0