|Sridevi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||August 13, 1963|
Sridevi or Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan was a multilingual actress who worked in a wide variety of films like Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Malayalam, and Kannada language films. She was actively involved in films from 1967 to 1997 for 30 years. After a gap of 15 years, she resumed her career in 2012 which ended unexpectedly in 2018.
Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan
Sridevi, Puppy, Sri, Lady Amitabh Bachchan
Sridevi was born on August 13, 1963.
Sridevi died at the age of 54 on February 24, 2018, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates due to accidental drowning.
Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, India
Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Sridevi’s educational qualifications are unknown.
- Father – Ayyapan Yanger (Lawyer) (Died in 1991)
- Mother – Rajeswari Yanger (Died in 1997)
- Siblings – Srilatha Yanger (Sister)
- Others – Satish Yanger (Step-Brother), Hamasakalyani (Step-Mother), Anil Kapoor (Brother-in-law) (Actor), Sanjay Kapoor (Brother-in-law) (Actor), Arjun Kapoor (Step-Son) (Actor), Sunita Bhavnani Kapoor (Sister-in-law), Sonam Kapoor (Niece) (Actress), Rhea Kapoor (Niece) (Producer), Harshvardhan Kapoor (Nephew) (Actor), Surinder Kapoor (Father-in-law) (Producer), Anshula Kapoor (Step-daughter), Maheep Kapoor (Sister-in-law), Reena Marwah (Sister-in-law), Sandeep Marwah (Brother-in-law), Mohit Marwah (Nephew)
Boney Kapoor managed Sridevi.
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sridevi was in a relationship with –
- Mithun Chakraborty (1984-1988) – Mithun and Sridevi’s infamous love affair was kept well under wraps. The two became close during the filming of the movie Jaag Utha Insan (1984). Mithun was already married to actress Yogeeta Bali and rumors of the two getting close were doing the rounds. Rumors flew in 1985 that Mithun and Sridevi secretly got married. However, the two denied the rumors. She gave Mithun an ultimatum to come to a decision and choose. Yogeeta attempted suicide and Mithun refused to leave his wife. The two annulled their marriage in 1988 and finally accepted their involvement.
- Boney Kapoor (June 1996-2018) – Considered as a power couple in the Bollywood film industry, the two had a rollercoaster relationship. While Mithun and Sridevi were still together, he made her consider Boney a brother. Boney was already married to Mona Kapoor. Boney went on to reveal that the affair was one-sided, and Sridevi was angered to find out about Boney’s feelings. The two continued to remain very good friends after the death of her mother, and eventually, Sridevi fell in love. Rumors of Sridevi’s pregnancy started doing the rounds, and the couple finally revealed that they were secretly married in a simple temple ceremony on June 2, 1996, but they revealed the news in January 1997. The couple had two children, daughters Janhvi Kapoor (born in March 1997) and Khushi Kapoor (born in 2000).
Race / Ethnicity
Sridevi had Tamilian ancestry and Telegu roots on her mother’s side.
- Her eyes
- Her chiseled face
- Sridevi’s lustrous hair
Sridevi had endorsed the following brands
- Mahindra Real Estate
- Jos Alukkas & Sons Alukkas Jewellery
- Dabur Amla Hair oil
- Shanthi Masala
Best Known For
Being the first female superstar of Bollywood and one of the most popular actresses of Indian cinema, in a career spanning 5 decades.
Sridevi made her film debut as a child artist in the Tamil film Kandan Karunai in 1967 as Lord Muruga in his adolescence.
First TV Show
Sridevi made her television show debut as Malini Iyer in the show Malini Iyer in 2004.
Sridevi was known for her ageless looks. She practiced yoga with Manish Tiwari. She also did power yoga and maintained her fitness with outdoor games like tennis and jogging with her daughters. Sridevi also used to do cardio exercises and worked out 5 days a week.
She avoided eating fried food and cola drinks and followed a strict sleep and diet ritual.
Below is what Sridevi’s diet usually consisted of –
- Breakfast – Warm water infused with lemon and honey, herbal tea, oatmeal or muesli with dry fruits, honey, and skimmed milk, followed by fresh vegetable juice
- Lunch – Fresh green salads and dal, smoked or grilled salmon, tofu and feta cheese
- Snacks – Whole fruits, peanuts and goats’ cheese with multi-grain crackers
- Dinner – Soups or curried vegetables with rotis
Sridevi Favorite Things
- Kitchen Ingredient – Strawberries
- Clothes – Sarees
- Film Looks – Chandni, Hawa Hawai from Chaalbaaz, Kabhi Main Kahoon from Lamhe, Sadma, Khuda Gawah, Judaai
Source – The Telegraph India
- She could speak Telegu, Tamil, Hindi, and English.
- Her family was not financially well off. She was the sole breadwinner in her family.
- She was the highest paid Indian actress for nearly 7 years from 1985 to 1992.
- When Sridevi entered the film industry, she was unable to speak Hindi.
- While shooting for a song in the film Chaalbaaz which was released in 1989, she was unwell and having a 103-degree fever. The song was shot in the rain.
- She started acting at the young age of 4.
- Sridevi was honored with the fourth highest civilian honor, Padma Shri in 2013 by the Government of India.
- She was approached for a role in Jurassic Park by Steven Spielberg. However, she rejected the role as she had projects on her hand and was afraid of losing out on those projects.
- She had an infamous rivalry with Jaya Prada, who was Sridevi’s fierce competitor. She revealed that the two did not get along. However, they decided to bury the hatchet.
- She revealed that she is not egoistic and preferred to stay humble.
- Her 2017 film MOM was Sridevi’s 300th film. It was also her last film before the death in 2018.
- Sridevi was fond of painting and would have become an artist if not an actress.
- When Boney started smoking, Sridevi decided to quit eating non-vegetarian food till her husband Boney quit smoking.
- Sridevi was on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / BollywoodHungama.com / CC BY 3.0