|Mohammed Rafi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 24, 1924|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Mohammed Rafi was an Indian playback singer, musician, performer, qawwali singer, and actor who became one of the greatest singers on the Indian subcontinent. The legendary singer worked on songs for more than a thousand Hindi films as well as sung in multiple regional languages including Konkani, Assamese, Bhojpuri, Bengali, Sindhi, Kannada, Tamil, Magahi, and Maithili. For his spectacular contributions to music, Mohammed Rafi was honored with the Padma Shri award by the Government of India in 1967.
Pheeko, Shyam Sundar
He was born on December 24, 1924.
Mohammed Rafi died at the age of 55 on July 31, 1980, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India after suffering a heart attack.
Kotla Sultan Singh, Punjab, British India (Later: Kotla Sultan Singh, Amritsar, Punjab, India)
Mohammed Rafi took training in classical music from revered artists like Ustad Abdul Wahid Khan, Pandit Jiwan Lal Mattoo, and Firoze Nizami.
Playback Singer, Musician, Performer, Qawwali Singer, Actor
- Father – Haji Ali Mohammad (Ran a men’s salon in Noor Mohalla in Bhati Gate)
- Mother – Allahrakhi Bai
- Siblings – Mohammed Rafi had 1 older and 4 younger brothers.
- Others – Leena Das (Daughter-In-Law) (Actress), Firdaus Rafi (Daughter-In-Law), Yasmin K. Rafi (Daughter-In-Law), Raashid Rafi (Grandson), Shabana (Granddaughter), Fuzail Rafi (Grandson) (Singer), Irfan (Grandson)
Qawwali, Ghazals, Pop, Sufi, Bhajans, Filmi, Comedy Music, Harmonium Music
He released his music through labels like Silk Road, etc.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mohammed Rafi had dated –
- Bashira Bibi – He first married his cousin Bashira Bibi in his ancestral village but their marriage ended when she refused to live in India after the partition.
- Bilquis Bano – Rafi later got married to Bilquis Bano.
Note – Mohammed Rafi fathered 4 sons, Saeed Rafi, Shahid Rafi, Khalid Rafi, and Hamid Rafi, and 3 daughters, Parveen Rafi, Nasreen Rafi, and Yasmin Rafi.
Race / Ethnicity
- Dimpled chin
- Deep-set eyes
Mohammed Rafi Facts
- Initially, he started singing by chanting the verses sung by a fakir.
- Mohammed Rafi was 13 years old when he gave his first public performance in Lahore at an event featuring the famous singer K. L. Saigal.
- He enjoyed playing badminton, carrom, and flying kites during his free time.
- Many Hindi movies have been dedicated to Rafi and some of them are Allah Rakha, Mard, Coolie, Desh-Premee, and Heeralal-Pannalal.
- He has often been described as a calm, warm, humble, devoted, god-fearing, and family loving person.
- As an actor, Mohammed Rafie worked in films like Laila Majnu and Jugnu.
- One striking example of his compassionate nature is that he never used to send anyone he met back empty-handed.
- In 1997, he was mentioned in the song Brimful of Asha by the British indie rock band, Cornershop.
- In the popular film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, Rafi’s song Mera Man Tera Pyasa is played in the background at approximately 00.11.14 runtime.
Featured Image by India Post / Government of India / National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP) of Government of India