|Nabil Fekir Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||July 18, 1993|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Since making his professional debut in 2013, Nabil Fekir has delivered impressive consistent performances which have helped him establish himself as a great attacking force. Because of his scintillating performances for Lyon, he has been courted by many established clubs such as Arsenal, Manchester United, and Liverpool. He even came very close to securing a move to Liverpool in the summer of 2018 but his injury history and haggling between the club torpedoed his transfer.
Nabil Fekir has polished his soccer skills at the youth academy of Lyon.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Mohamed Fekir
- Siblings – Yassin Fekir (Younger Brother) (Professional Soccer Player)
Nabil Fekir is represented by Jean-Pierre Berne.
Attacking Midfielder, Forward
31, 18, 9, 8, 12 – Olympique Lyon
18, 12, 7 – France National team
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He has Algerian ancestry on his father’s side.
He keeps a neatly trimmed beard.
Nabil Fekir has signed a personal endorsement deal with Nike. As per the clauses of the contract deal, he is required to wear Nike shoes for his professional matches. He also uses his social media activity to promote Nike products.
He was raised in an Islamic household.
Best Known For
His great performances for the French club, Lyon, since having made his debut for the club in 2013. His solid performances for the club have made him one of the highly rated attacking players in the European top flight leagues.
First Soccer Match
In August 2013, he made his professional debut with Lyon Champions League play-off round 2nd leg away match against Real Sociedad. He replaced Yassine Benzia at the half-time. His side eventually lost the match by 2-0.
In March 2015, Fekir made his first international appearance for the France national team against Brazil in an international friendlies match. He was sent in for Antoine Griezmann late in the 2nd half.
- Long Shots
- Set pieces
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
Nabil Fekir Facts
- At the age of 12, he decided to join the youth academy of Olympique Lyonnais. However, he was released by the academy 2 years later as the academy coaches felt that he wasn’t too strong to succeed.
- After noticing his strong performances in the youth teams of Vaulx-en-Velin and Saint-Priest, Lyon decided to re-sign him in 2011. He was also pursued by Lyon‘s local rivals AS Saint-Étienne but Fekir wanted to hold out for Lyon.
- He was first called to the Lyon first team in July 2013. However, he remained an unused substitute in his side’s 1-0 home win over Grasshopper in a UEFA Champions League’s qualifying round match.
- In April 2014, Nabil scored his first professional goal in his side’s 4-1 win over Bastia in a Ligue 1 match. He also recorded 2 assists for Bakary Koné’s and Alexandre Lacazette‘s goals.
- The 2014-15 season proved to be his breakthrough season as he played 34 matches and managed to score a total of 13 goals in the season. He also managed to record 9 assists.
- At the end of 2014-15 season, he was included in the Team of the Year for Ligue 1. He was also declared the Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year.
- He scored the first hattrick of his career in August 2015 in a Ligue 1 away match against Caen. However, he couldn’t build on the impressive start as he tore knee ligaments while on an international duty.
- In August 2017, he was declared the new club captain by the Lyon management as they sought to replace Maxime Gonalons, who had moved to AS Roma.
- He enraged AS Saint-Etienne fans during his side’s match against their fierce rivals, which Lyon won by 5-0 with Fekir scoring 2 goals in the match.
- After scoring his 2nd goal in the match, he took his shirt off and showed it off to Saint-Étienne supporters, which led to the fans throwing projectiles and spilling onto the field. The riot police had to step in to protect Lyon members and restore order.
- In June 2018, Lyon negotiated a transfer deal worth €60 million with Liverpool. However, the deal collapsed after Liverpool found issues with his knee in the medical and tried to negotiate lower transfer money with the French club.
- In March 2015, Nabil was called up by Algeria for the friendlies against Qatar and Oman. However, he decided to withdraw his name from the squad after he was named in the French squad for their friendlies.
- In June 2015, he scored his first international goal in a friendly match against Belgium. However, the match ended in a 3-4 defeat for his side.
- Follow Nabil Fekir on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Nabil Fekir / Instagram