|Najmul Hossain Shanto Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 25, 1998|
|Spouse||Sabrin Sultana Ratna|
Najmul Hossain Shanto is a Bangladeshi professional cricketer who has represented his country in all 3 formats of the sport (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is), as a top-order batter. He was a member of the Bangladeshi squad that had reached the final of the 2018 edition of the Asia Cup, the 3rd time that the country had achieved the feat. Before breaking into the senior national team in January 2017, he had participated in both the 2014 and 2016 editions of the Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup. The team had finished 9th and 3rd, respectively, in those tournaments. The 2016 edition was the first time that Bangladesh had reached the semi-final of the tournament and Najmul was a vital cog in the Bangladeshi squad, scoring 259 runs at a stellar average of 64.75 runs per inning. In the Bangladeshi domestic circuit, Najmul has played for Kalabagan Cricket Academy (2015), Rajshahi Division (2017–2018), and Abahani Limited (2020-Present) across all 3 formats. In the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League), he has turned out for Comilla Victorians (2016–2017), Khulna Tigers, and Fortune Barishal.
Najmul Hossain Shanto
Right-Arm Off Break
99 – Test Match, One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I), Khulna Tigers (BPL)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Najmul has dated –
- Sabrin Sultana Ratna (2020-Present) – Najmul tied the knot with Sabrin Sultana Ratna in July 2020. At the time of the wedding, Sabrin was a 3rd-year student of the Department of Statistics at Rajshahi University, a public co-educational research university situated near the northern Bangladeshi city of Rajshahi.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Bangladeshi descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-parted hair
- Sports a trimmed beard
Najmul Hossain Shanto Facts
- Najmul began his cricket training at the Clemon Rajshahi Cricket Academy and used to cycle and walk about 20 km every day to cover that distance.
- He first came into the spotlight during the 2016 edition of the Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League (a top-tier club-based List A tournament in Bangladesh) where he made 537 runs at an average of 41.3 runs per inning.
- In December 2017, while representing Rajshahi Division, in a game against Dhaka Metropolis, during the 2017–18 season of the National Cricket League (the oldest domestic first-class cricket competition in Bangladesh), he was involved in a 341-run opening partnership. It was the then-highest opening partnership in a domestic first-class match in Bangladesh.
- Najmul was the leading run-scorer in the 2017–18 season of the Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League, with 749 runs to his name in 16 matches.
- He holds the record of being just the second Bangladeshi player, after Sabbir Rahman, to have scored a century in a domestic T20 match.
- In 2019, Najmul was the captain of the Bangladeshi squad that won the ‘Gold’ medal at the South Asian Games. It was the country’s second such ‘Gold’ medal. The tournament featured under-23 squads from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, and senior squads from Bhutan, Maldives, and Nepal. Bangladesh had beaten Sri Lanka by 7 wickets in the final of the tournament.
- At the 2022 ICC World T20, he was Bangladesh’s leading run-scorer (and the 11th-highest overall), recording 180 runs in 5 matches.
Featured Image by Najmul Hossain Shanto / Instagram