|Penny Smith Quick Info
|5 ft 7 in
|Date of Birth
|September 21, 1958
Penny Smith is an English newsreader, television presenter, and radio host whose most notable work includes being a news reader for GMTV for 17 years. In her long career, she has worked for Sky News, BBC Radio London, GMTV, and Classic FM. She has also launched several books and yoga videos and counts hiking, tennis, the opera, and theater as her hobbies.
Penelope Jane Smith
Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
Notting Hill, London, England, United Kingdom
Penny studied at the Uppingham Primary School and later attended Rutland High School for Girls in Oakham.
Newsreader, Television Presenter, Radio Presenter
- Father – Graham Smith (Engineer)
- Siblings – Helen Smith (Sister). She had an older brother who passed away circa 2008 from Hepatitis B.
Penny is represented by Jackie Gill Management Limited.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Penny Smith has dated –
- Tony Birtley (1984-1987) – Penny married travel journalist Tony Birtley in Grantham in 1984. Together, they traveled the world for 3 years but things went downhill when they decided to live a domesticated life. The couple had lost the spark in their relationship and hence headed for divorce in 1987.
- Rory Bremner – Scottish comedian Rory Bremner and Penny Smith were in a relationship in the past. However, Penny has refused to divulge details about her time spent with him.
- Paul McKenna – British hypnotist Paul McKenna is one of the men Penny dated in the past. Both of them have refused to speak about their relationship.
- Vince Leigh (2001-Present) – Penny started dating actor Vince Leigh in September 2001. Like her other relationships, she has remained tight-lipped about Vince as well. Penny has mentioned that she is wary of getting married again due to the failure of her first marriage but they seem to be committed to each other nonetheless.
Race / Ethnicity
Penny has done endorsement work for brands like Travelsphere.
Best Known For
Her long-lasting career on GMTV as a newsreader on its breakfast television show for 17 years from April 1993 to June 2010
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance in 1989 as a newsreader on Sky World News.
Although Penny has never been overweight from any perspective, she has always felt the need to lose a few pounds. Penny is a proponent of yoga and in 2008, she practiced Iyengar yoga 3 times a week for 90 minutes each to attain a flexible and toned figure.
She has always been physically active and playing tennis, hiking, and cycling everywhere had helped her reduce weight in 2010. Also, she likes to keep herself active and fresh by climbing the steps, walking, and running after toddlers.
When she became a size 14 in 2009, she decided to follow a strict soup diet and it helped her slim down to a size 10. As she had to wake up in the wee hours of the morning due to her work schedule, she began gorging on soup made with carrots, celeriac, bean sprouts, peppers, and onion for breakfast. The soup kept her feeling full and stuffed and avoid binge eating on calorie-filled foods.
She also credits moderate eating in helping her shed the pounds. In this way, she had her favorite chocolates and bread but in small quantities.
Her typical diet included –
- Breakfast – Mozzarella, avocado, and tomatoes or tomatoes and olive oil on toast, poached eggs, and kippers, muesli with cocoa nibs and flax seeds
- Lunch/Dinner – Salmon, prawns, and nuts
- Snacks – British apples and pears or a crumpet with a drizzle of honey
Penny Smith Favorite Things
- Vegetable – Carrot
- Drink – Campari soda, beer
- Guilty Pleasures – Red bounty bars, Salt and vinegar crisps, Beer
- Presents – Jewelled Estée Lauder powder compact
- Beauty Icon – Aung San Suu Kyi (Burmese Politician)
Source – Express, Healthy Food Guide, Daily Mail
Penny Smith Facts
- She is a prolific writer and has written for several magazines and newspapers including Good Housekeeping, Woman and Home, Daily Mail, and Essentials.
- One of her main interests lies in yoga and she has released 3 yoga videos – Penny Smith’s Power Yoga, Penny Smith’s Essential Guide to Yoga, and Penny Smith’s Yoga Masterclass.
- She worked as an au pair in Belgium at the age of 18 and had put on 4 stone in 3 months as a result of eating the delicious Belgian cuisines like chocolates and beer, which are high on calories.
- Visit her official website @ penny-smith.co.uk.
- Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Penny Smith / Instagram