|Nana Visitor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||July 26, 1957|
Nana Visitor is an actress who started her career in 1976. She has done many films and TV series but her most memorable role was in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as Kira Nerys from 1993 to 1999. Her Star Trek character was also included in the Star Trek video games released in 1996 and 2000. She has also done 12 episodes in Family Guy from 2009 to 2014.
Nana (pronounced Nuh-naa)
New York City, New York, United States
- Los Angeles, California
- Manhattan, New York City
Nana studied in a progressive Girls school in NYC called The Nightingale-Bamford School and graduated in 1975.
She was accepted to Princeton University for the college education but right before enrollment, she booked a job as part of the chorus of a show.
More jobs on Broadway followed and after deferring her enrollment to Princeton several times, Nana never took time off from work to study for a college degree.
Former Dancer, Actress
- Father – Robert Tucker (Broadway Choreographer)
- Mother – Nanette aka Nennette Charisse (Ballet Teacher)
- Siblings – Ian Tucker (Older Brother) (Broadway Actor), Zan Charisse aka Zan Guest (6 Years Older Sister) (Broadway Actor), Paris Theodore (15 Years Older Half-Brother, Nennette’s Son) (Spy Weaponry Inventor)
- Others –
- Joanna Tucker (Niece, Ian’s Daughter) (Teacher)
- Jaspre Guest (Niece, Zan’s Daughter) (Founder of a PR & Branding Agency)
- Remington Guest (Nephew, Zan’s Son) (Crystal & Clothing Company Owner)
- Cyd Charisse (Ex-Aunt-in-law) (Famous Yesteryear Dancer and Actress)
- Nico Charisse (Uncle, Nanette’s Brother) (Dance Teacher / Hollywood Coach)
- Calliope Charisse (Maternal Grandmother)
Stone Manners Salners Agency
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
- Nicholas Miscusi aka Nick (1985–1994) – Nana met Nick in 1985 during a tap dancing workshop run by her father. He was her father’s favorite student and became Nana’s close friend as well. Merely a month after befriending Nick, the couple moved to Los Angeles together with only $500 in their wallet to catch a break as actors. Nana felt gravely out of place in Los Angeles and after booking a few minor acting jobs was ready to move back to NYC but just before leaving she managed to book the role of Kira Nerys. For years, the actress avoided getting married to her boyfriend thinking having kids will be the end of her career and independence. However, Nicholas convinced Nana to get married in December 1989. About a little more than two years after marriage, the couple had a son named Buster (born April 1992) who was primarily looked after by his father in the initial years as Nana spent long hours on the sets. Buster is a former marine and served in the US Military from 2010 to 2015. He had to take premature retirement from the US military because he was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease after which he became a nutrition coach. Post-divorce Nana’s ex-husband became a director alongside acting.
- Alexander Siddig aka Siddig El Fadil aka Sid (1995–2001) – Sudanese British actor, Alexander is the nephew of veteran actor Malcolm McDowell. He gained worldwide fame for playing Doran Martell in Game of Thrones (2015–2016) and Ra’s Al Ghul in Gotham since season 4 in 2017. Alexander first met Nana while shooting the pilot of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in 1992 and immediately became her close friend. When Nana’s marriage to Nicholas Miscusi broke down, Alexander sympathized with both of them and offered Nicholas space in his home for a few days to help with his unexpected transition to single status. During this time, Siddig also called off his engagement to an actress. Nana liked his ex-fiancé a lot and even tried to get the couple back together. When that did not happen, she started thinking of other women she could set up Siddig with. She did not think of dating the actor herself because he was 8 years younger to her. In September 1995, Siddig met Nana and confessed that he fancied her but the actress found the idea of dating him rather absurd. However, she changed her mind by Christmas 1995. The couple started dating that led to an unplanned pregnancy. Together, they had a son called Django El Tahir El Siddig (born September 1996). He was named after the Jazz musician, Django Reinhardt. Nana’s pregnancy was written into the plot of the Star Trek TV show from season 4 to 5. Nana and Sid got married in June 1997 and got divorced after 4 years of marriage in 2001 due to undisclosed reasons.
- Matthew Rimmer (2003–Present) – Nana met Matthew when she was cast in the Broadway musical Chicago. Her third husband-to-be was the company manager. They got engaged in early 2002 and married in April 2003. Matthew continued to work as a theatrical production general manager in New York City for a while and later became the Chief Operating Officer of The Broad Stage theatre in Santa Monica, Los Angeles. He should not be confused with actor, writer Matthew Rimmer from Texas. Nana’s husband is originally from Florida.
Race / Ethnicity
She has an English father and a Greek mother (She was born in Greece and raised in Paris, France. After the World War II, she moved to the United States with her siblings)
Dark Brown (Now, turned completely gray)
Occasionally, she likes to color her hair but prefers it gray.
- Sharp facial features (Sharp nose & chin)
- Lean build
- Usually maintains short hairstyles
No available record to confirm her endorsements.
Her religious beliefs are not confirmed.
Best Known For
- Playing the character of Major / Colonel Kira Nerys in the 1990s TV show Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) (1993–1999)
- Also gave voice to the same character in the following video games:
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Harbinger (1996)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – The Fallen (2000)
A small role of an unnamed character in the horror film The Sentinel (1977) in which she was credited as Nana Tucker.
First TV Show
Nana had a 3 episode guest role as Svetlana Petrovsky in Ivan the Terrible in 1976.
- Nana is an extremely skilled cook who has thorough knowledge about creating healthy and restorative meals with flavor.
- Inspired by the Spanish gastro-scientist, Ferran Adrià Acosta, Nana stays fit by creating wholesome meals that satisfy hunger within just a few bites.
Nana Visitor Favorite Things
- Store – H&M
Source – ShoesAndStarships.com
Nana Visitor Facts
- Nana Visitor switched her last name at the age of 16 from ‘Tucker’ to ‘Visitor’.
- She started learning dance at her mother’s studio at the age of 7.
- A lot of people find her name very odd. Her first name has a French origin, while she borrowed ‘Visitor’ from her great-great-grandfather’s name. Nana liked the reminder of life being temporary in that word so decided to make it her last name for professional credit.
- Rather than be disappointed by Nana’s decision to not go for a college education, her family was relieved when she decided to make a career in showbiz like all her relatives.
- In an interview during the early 90s, she described her entire family as bohemian, artistic and wild.
- She admitted to being claustrophobic in the past.
- Her manager initially discouraged her from accepting the role of Kira Nerys recommending she should wait for bigger network roles. But, Nana wanted to play Kira because she was complete by herself and was not identified in relation to any other male character in the TV show.
- She had to work in 16 to 28 hours shifts while filming Star Trek: DS9. Her fake nose required two hours to set before filming and 20 minutes to remove at the end of the day.
- At the age of 17, Nana claimed to be a raging feminist who had to tone down her personality to be more acceptable in the male-dominated television industry.
- Star Trek: DS9 was created entirely by a staff of male writers and Nana often had to fight for input much to their annoyance. As the seasons progressed, the actress felt content to claim that she got her way 75% of the time as far as shaping her own character was concerned.
- Nana does not like to keep one hairstyle for very long and prefers to change it every season.
- A China-born, Canadian amateur astronomer, William Kwong Yu Yeung discovered an asteroid in 2001 and named it 26733 Nanavisitor to honor the actress.
- At the end of filming ABC TV series Wildfire (2005–2008), Nana continued to live on location in New Mexico in the village of Corrales and started a local / online bakery business for a few years named Un Petit Morceau.
- For 4 months from October 2010 to January 2011, Nana collaborated with her sister Zan to run a YouTube food channel. Together, the sisters called themselves the Kitchen Witches.
- To find out more about the actress, follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0