|Nikki Jean Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||August 25, 1983|
Nikki Jean is an American singer-songwriter and occasional actress who came to limelight after getting featured on Lupe Fiasco‘s song Hip-Hop Saved My Life from his album The Cool (2008). She went on to release several albums herself like Pennies in a Jar (2011) and a number of EPs such as Champagne Water EP (2014). She has also starred in numerous films including the award-winning independent movie On the Outs (2004) where she played the role of Malia.
Nicholle Jean Leary
St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
She attended Howard University in Washington, D.C.
Singer, Songwriter, Pianist, Actress
Soul, Hip Hop, Pop
Vocals, Piano, Keyboards, Guitar
- Rhymesayers Entertainment
- Columbia Records
- S-Curve Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
She often tends to dye her hair in different shades.
- Prominent cheekbones
- Tattoos on her hands
She has endorsed or promoted several brands such as Glam Doll Donuts.
Nikki Jean Favorite Things
- First Album That Was Meaningful To Her – Common‘s Resurrection that she had played over and over, having loved it for being honest and unpretentious and having considered it to be one of the best hip hop albums of all time
Source – Seventeen
Nikki Jean Facts
- She has affirmed that the first song she ever wrote was called Childish Games that had a lot of nursery rhyme imagery woven together in the context of a relationship. She has gone on to add that she used to eat lunch in the stairwell or the choir room of her high school and had penned it down over lunch one day.
- Nikki has recalled her first big concert to have been a Prince concert that she had managed to sneak into underage in 1999 in a club called Life in New York. It had begun in the middle of the night and had continued until sunrise.
- Nikki has stated that she has written songs only when she has felt happy, however, it was not always that way. Apart from her solo career, she had once belonged to the Philadelphia-based music group named Nouveau Riche and when she was with the band, she used to write from a dark and angry place. Later on by way of doing shows, she came to know of a few super fans who were huge supporters of her and had told her how much the songs meant to them but she was once dismayed to get the news that one of her fans had committed suicide and had begun to wonder if she had been listening to her music while attempting to end her life. After the incident, she felt responsible for the impact of her songs on the listeners and made it a point to only write happy songs.
- She has disclosed that she has always pondered on what freedom means to her even when she was in high school when she was frustrated with the way things were in general and trying to figure out why what she wore mattered and why was it so important to be liked. This has led to freedom being a recurring theme in her career even dating back to her earlier vlogs on YouTube.
Featured Image by Nikki Jean / Instagram