|Nnamdi Asomugha Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||July 6, 1981|
Nnamdi Asomugha is an American actor, producer, former football player, and philanthropist. He is known for his successful career as a cornerback playing for teams like Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, and San Francisco 49ers. He gained much praise from his teammates as well as his coaches for his game and was selected as an All-Pro for four times. Nnamdi has also branched out as an actor and has worked in various movies and shows like Fire with Fire, Double Negative, Beasts of No Nation, Crown Heights, Sylvie, The Game, Friday Night Lights, Kroll Show, Leverage, and Hello, My Name Is Doris. Nnamdi Asomugha has also done a lot of community service and his organization, the Asomugha Foundation, aims at providing help and assistance to widows and orphans in Nigeria as well as works in the field of education. He has been awarded numerous honors for his work as a philanthropist.
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Nnamdi Asomugha studied in Leuzinger High School in Lawndale, California and then in Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, California. He also attended Narbonne High School in Harbor City, California where he played both basketball and football.
Later, he got enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley from where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interdisciplinary Studies focusing on Corporate Finance. During his time at the university, he also played for the California Golden Bears football team and wrapped up his college career with 187 tackles, three sacks, 19 stops for losses, eight interceptions, three touchdowns, 15 pass deflections, two fumble recoveries, and a forced fumble in 41 games as a free safety.
Actor, Producer, Former Football Player, Philanthropist
- Father – Godfrey Asomugha
- Mother – Lilian Asomugha
- Siblings – Chisaraokwu Asomugha (Younger Sister), Chijioke Asomugha (Older Brother)
Nnamdi Asomugha is represented by –
- Art2perform, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Creative Artists Agency, Talent and Sports Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein
21 – Oakland Raiders
24 – Philadelphia Eagles
28 – San Francisco 49ers
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nnamdi Asomugha has dated –
- Kerry Washington (2012-Present) – Nnamdi Asomugha started going out with actress Kerry Washington in 2012. Eventually, on June 24, 2013, the duo tied the knot in a private wedding ceremony. The couple welcomed their first child, a daughter named Isabelle Amarachi Asomugha, on April 21, 2014. Then, on October 5, 2016, they were blessed with their second child, a son named Caleb Kelechi Asomugha.
Note – Nnamdi Asomugha also fathers a son, Blake, from his previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Nigerian Igbo descent.
- Broad forehead
- Plump Lips
- Tall stature
Nnamdi Asomugha has appeared in a TV commercial for the nonprofit organization, United Way.
He has also signed an endorsement deal with Nike.
Best Known For
- His successful stint with the Oakland Raiders during which his career progressed extensively and he played in some of the best seasons of his professional career. He was also selected as the captain for the team and later, he retired from the game as a Raider.
- Having been cast in several movies such as Fire with Fire (2012) as Sherrod, Double Negative (2013) as Ahmed, Hello, My Name Is Doris (2016) as Shaka, Crown Heights (2017) as Carl King, and Sylvie (2020) as Robert
- Appearing in a number of shows like The Game (2008) as Party Guest, Friday Night Lights (2009) as Ken Shaw, Leverage (2010) as Walle, Kroll Show (2013) as Himself, and Good Morning America (2017) as Himself
Nnamdi Asomugha made his first theatrical film appearance as Sherrod in the action crime drama movie, Fire with Fire, in 2012. The movie starred Josh Duhamel, Bruce Willis, Vincent D’Onofrio, and Rosario Dawson.
First TV Show
Nnamdi Asomugha made his first TV show appearance as himself in an episode of the sports series, ESPN Sunday Night Football, in 2005.
Being a celebrated football player, Nnamdi Asomugha has always made fitness his top priority. Unlike most people, he likes working out in smaller groups and especially with his friends. That way, he feels more focused and the workouts become more productive. Moreover, indulging in various sports also helps him maintain an active lifestyle and healthy physique.
Nnamdi Asomugha Favorite Things
- Movie Genre – Sports (especially Baseball)
- Sport In High School – Basketball
Nnamdi Asomugha Facts
- He was born in Lafayette, Louisiana and brought up in Los Angeles, California.
- The pronunciation of his name goes like ‘Nahm-Dee Aso-MU-Wah’.
- Nnamdi Asomugha played both basketball and football during his school as well as college years.
- His father passed away when he was around 11 years old.
- He was influenced to play football as his older brother used to play the game and Asomugha just followed in his footsteps.
- Oakland Raiders drafted him as the second Cal player in the first round (31st overall) of the 2003 NFL draft.
- His 2006 season with Oakland Raiders was one of his career highlights as he wrapped up the season with 50 tackles (48 solos), eight interceptions, a sack, a forced fumble, and one touchdown. He also received an invite to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. However, due to the late notice, he was not able to make it to the game.
- For his 2006 season with the team, Nnamdi Asomugha was honored with the Oakland Raiders “Commitment to Excellence” Award and was also named the team’s Most Valuable Player.
- He maintained a brilliant performance in the 2008 season as well and was selected to Peter King’s Sports Illustrated 2008 All-Pro team as well as The Associated Press 2008 All-Pro Team.
- He became the highest paid defensive back in NFL history as the Raiders re-signed Asomugha on February 19, 2009. The contract was a complex 3 years deal which guaranteed $28.5 million for the first two years and an average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks or $16.875 million, whichever was higher, for the final year.
- Asomugha was named as one of the greatest Oakland Raiders of all time by the Oakland Tribune in August 2009.
- He performed exceptionally well in the 2009 season and head coach Gary Kubiak praised him saying “Asomugha is the best (corner) I’ve seen in a while throughout this league. He’s big, he’s fast, they put him out there on an island the whole game. He’s an exceptional player.”
- On July 29, 2011, Nnamdi Asomugha signed a five-year, $60 million deal, with at least $25 million guaranteed, with the Philadelphia Eagles. He finished his first season with the team with 40 total tackles, 5 passes defended, and 3 interceptions.
- After getting released from Philadelphia Eagles after the 2012 season, he signed a one year contract with San Francisco 49ers on December 26, 2013. The deal guaranteed a base salary of $1.35 million with a chance to earn up to an additional $1.65 million in incentives. Later, on November 4, 2013, he was released by the team.
- Nnamdi Asomugha signed a one day deal with Oakland Raiders on December 26, 2013, so that he can finally retire as a Raider. On December 27, 2013, he officially announced his retirement from the sport.
- He was named as the best Oakland Raiders player of the past decade by the website, Pro Football Focus, in 2016.
- As a producer, Nnamdi Asomugha has worked on a variety on projects which include Double Negative, Beasts of No Nation, Waiting for Hassana, Crown Heights, The Banker, Harriet, and Sylvie.
- He has founded the Asomugha Foundation, for which he also serves as the Chairman, which focuses on orphans, widows, and education through its two programs, namely, Orphans and Widows In Need (OWIN) and Asomugha College Tour for Scholars (ACTS).
- The OWIN program aims at providing food, shelter, medicine, vocational training, literacy efforts, and scholarships to widows and orphans victimized by poverty or abuse in Nigeria.
- At the 2009 Meeting of Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) hosted by The University of Texas at Austin, he was a member of the discussion group, alongside President Bill Clinton, actor Matthew McConaughey, and Marie Tillman, to share his views on the importance of global service and student activism.
- He has also been an active participant in the Clinton Global Initiative.
- Every year, he distributes backpacks to the incoming freshmen at Narbonne High School in Los Angeles, California.
- Nnamdi Asomugha was named a Home Depot Neighborhood MVP 2007 for his contributions to the society.
- In 2008, he was honored with The President’s Volunteer Service Award.
- He suffers from deuteranomaly, a type of color-blindness which results in a decreased ability to see colors or to distinguish between colors.
- Nnamdi Asomugha is a member of a collegiate Greek-letter fraternity called Kappa Alpha Psi.
- Visit Asomugha Foundation’s official website @ buildingtoday.org.
- Nnamdi Asomugha is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Fried Plantains / Instagram