|Paul Bettany Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 27, 1971|
Paul Bettany is an English actor, voice actor, director, and writer who is best known for providing vocals to the character of J.A.R.V.I.S. as well as for his role as Vision in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, and Avengers: Infinity War, as well as the miniseries WandaVision. Apart from that, he has also been cast in a variety of projects including Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, A Knight’s Tale, Gangster No. 1, A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Margin Call, The Tourist, Legend, Dogville, Wimbledon, Sharpe’s Waterloo, Manhunt: Unabomber, Every Woman Knows a Secret, The Heart of Me, The Secret Life of Bees, David Copperfield, and Kiss Kiss (Bang Bang).
Shepherd’s Bush, London, England, United Kingdom
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Bettany attended a three-year course at the Drama Center in London.
Before that, he had gone to a school but dropped out and even left home to live on his own and started street performing in London by playing his guitar.
Actor, Voice Actor, Director, Writer
- Father – Thane Bettany (Dancer, actor, and drama teacher)
- Mother – Anne Bettany (nee Kettle) (Stage singer, theater teacher, and stage manager)
- Siblings – Matthew Bettany (Younger Brother) (Died at the age of 8), Sarah Bettany (Older Sister) (Writer)
- Others – Howard John Bettany (Paternal Grandfather), Irene Edith Bryan (Paternal Grandmother), Lesley Kettle (Maternal Grandfather) (Musician and promoter), Olga Gwynne (Maternal Grandmother), Emaly (Niece)
Bettany has been signed to –
- Independent Talent Group Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
6 ft 3½ in or 192 cm
90 kg or 198½ lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Paul Bettany has dated –
- Emily Mortimer (1997–1999) – In 1997, Bettany started dating the English actress Emily Mortimer. The couple met while filming the TV movie Coming Home (1998). Paul and Emily lived together and were about to engage but because of Paul’s drug problems, Emily decided that they should split. Their relationship ended in 1999.
- Laura Fraser (2000–2002) – Paul was linked with the Scottish actress Laura Fraser in 2000 when both actors co-starred in the movie A Knight’s Tale (2001). Paul and Laura dated together for 2 years until March 2002, when they officially parted ways.
- Jennifer Connelly (2002–Present) – Bettany met American actress, Jennifer Connelly in April 2002 on the set of the movie A Beautiful Mind (2001). At the time, both Paul and Jennifer were already in relationships with different people. However after their separations, they started dating each other and after only a few months, got engaged. On January 1, 2003, Bettany and Jennifer got married in Scotland. They have 2 children, son Stellan Bettany (born, August 5, 2003) and daughter Agnes Lark Bettany (born, May 31, 2011). Jennifer already has a son Kai from her previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
Paul Bettany is of English descent.
- Blonde hair and blue eyes
- Towering height
As J.A.R.V.I.S., he has appeared in Dr. Pepper commercial.
Despite, he was raised in a Protestant family, Paul is an atheist.
Best Known For
Bettany will be remembered for his roles in the movies Gangster No. 1 (2000), Beautiful Mind (2001), The Da Vinci Code (2006), Iron Man (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), The Avengers (2012), Iron Man 3 (2013) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).
Paul first appeared in the British-Japanese drama film Bent in 1997 playing the role of a Captain.
First TV Show
Bettany had his first television debut in 1997 when he acted as Prince William of Orange in the TV series Sharpe’s Waterloo.
Paul developed a great sculpted body for the movie Legion (2010) to play the role of Michael.
To read more about how he works towards preparing his body for different roles, you can read on Men’s Fitness.
Also, you may want to check the exact workout routine, he was doing in order to prepare for the movie Legion (2010) on Men’s Fitness.
Paul Bettany Facts
- Paul and his family lived on campus because his father Thane was a teacher at the all-girls boarding school Queenswood School.
- At the age of 16, Bettany lost his brother Matthew, who was only 8 when he died. Matthew fell from a tennis pavilion roof onto a concrete floor and lost his life. After he lost his brother, Paul dropped out of school and left his home. He started living on his own in a small flat and earned money by playing guitar on the streets as a busker.
- Paul’s parents divorced shortly after the death of Matthew.
- Alongside Heath Ledger, Mark Addy, Rufus Sewell, and Alan Tudyk, he co-starred as a poet and author Geoffrey Chaucer, who is portrayed as a big-headed writer and ring announcer, in the 2001 American medieval adventure-comedy romance film, A Knight’s Tale. This role won him a London Film Critics’ Circle Award for “Supporting Actor of the Year” while he was also nominated for a Chicago Film Critics Association Award for “Most Promising Performer”.
- After two years of the death of his brother Matthew, Bettany started working in a home for the elderly. He spent 1 year working before he went to the Drama Centre in London.
- He owns an Australian shepherd named Pip.
- He is friends with Stellan Skarsgard, Charlie Condou, and Johnny Depp.
- Paul got inspiration from his father who was once an actor but left his profession to become a teacher.
- For his role in the movie Wimbledon (2004), he prepared with the tennis legend Pat Cash.
- Paul was nominated for the BAFTA award for Best Actor in Supporting Role in 2003 for the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.