|Perfume Genius Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 25, 1981|
Perfume Genius is an American singer who is best known for his distinct style of music that explores personal topics such as s*xuality, domestic abuse, his struggle with Crohn’s disease, and discrimination faced by gay men. He has published the solo studio albums Learning (2010), Put Your Back N 2 It (2012), Too Bright (2014), No Shape (2017), and Set My Heart on Fire Immediately (2020); and the EP titled Reshaped (2018). His 4th album titled No Shape (2017) and his 2014 single called Queen were both featured in Pitchfork magazine’s respective decade-end lists for the 2010s.
Michael Alden Hadreas
Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, United States
Seattle, King County, Washington, United States
Perfume Genius had dropped out of high school during his senior year.
- His mother was a special education teacher who later worked as the assistant principal at a middle school.
He is represented by –
- Bryan Ling, General Manager, New Community Management, West Hollywood, California, United States
- Trey Many, Booking Agent (North America), Paradigm Talent Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Adele Slater, Booking Agent (Rest of the World), Coda Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Meghan Helsel, PR Agent (United States), Grandstand Media, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Noam Klar, PR Agent (United Kingdom), Matador Records, London, England, United Kingdom
Indie Pop, Chamber Pop, Folk, Contemporary Folk, Indie Rock, Art Pop, Baroque Pop, Adult Alternative
- Matador Records
- Turnstile Records
- Organ Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Perfume Genius has dated –
- Alan Wyffels (2009–Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Greek descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, wavy hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
Perfume Genius Facts
- Born in Des Moines, Iowa, Perfume Genius had moved to Seattle, Washington with his family at the age of 6. His parents had got divorced when he was a teenager and he used to live with his mother after that.
- He was interested in music and arts from a very young age. He had studied painting at school and had also taken piano lessons.
- Perfume Genius was an openly gay student at his school and he would often get bullied as a result. He was even sent death threats by some of his schoolmates but unfortunately, his complaints were always ignored by the school’s administration. He eventually dropped out of high school due to the stress.
- A couple of years after this, he was attacked by a group of men in his locality. Fed up with the constant abuse, he left Seattle and moved to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. There, he worked for some time as a doorman at a local club.
- Perfume Genius decided to return to Seattle in 2005 and pursue a career in music. He began getting recognition in 2008 when he started sharing his music on the Myspace social networking site under the pseudonym Perfume Genius. He was soon signed up by Matador Records and released his first studio album titled Learning in 2010. Most of the tracks on the album were recorded in his name.
Featured Image by Perfume Genius / Instagram