|Phil McGraw Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||September 1, 1950|
Phil McGraw is a retired Psychologist who gained global fame as a daytime talk show host. His TV career started in 1998 with weekly appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show as a relationship and life strategy expert.
Phillip Calvin McGraw
Phil, Dr. Phil
Vinita, Oklahoma, United States
Beverly Hills, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Phil graduated from Shawnee Mission North High School in Overland Park, Kansas. He later earned a football scholarship to study at the University of Tulsa and played middle linebacker in the varsity team.
In November 1968, Phil’s team suffered an overwhelming defeat by the University of Houston with a final score of 100-6. Their coach retired claiming responsibility for the loss while Phil transferred to another university owing to an injury. He acquired a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Midwestern State University, Texas in 1975.
The following year, he got his Master’s degree in Experimental Psychology from the University of North Texas and continued to study there further to get his Ph.D. degree in Clinical Psychology in 1979.
TV Personality, TV Show Host, Author, Former Clinical Psychologist, Entrepreneur, Executive Producer
- Father – Dr. Joseph J. McGraw (Equipment Supplier turned Psychologist) (Expired 1993)
- Mother – Geraldine McGraw née Stevens aka Jerrie (Expired 2011)
- Siblings – Deana McGraw Prater (Older Sister) (Registered Nurse) (Expired 2018), Donna Jo McGraw Madsen (Older Sister), Brenda Watters (Younger Sister)
- Others – Erica Elizabeth McGraw née Dahm (Daugther-in-law) (Former Actress, Playboy Playmate), London Philip McGraw (Grandson), Avery Elizabeth McGraw (Granddaughter), Joseph Phillips McGraw (Paternal Grandfather), Susan Etta Strickland McGraw (Paternal Grandmother), John Calvin Stevens (Maternal Grandfather), Willie Mae Harris Stevens (Maternal Grandmother), C.J. Prater (Former Brother-in-law) (Voice Actor), Anthony Madsen (Nephew), William Madsen Jr. (Nephew), Douglas Watters (Nephew), Melissa Mullin (Niece)
Phil is represented by –
- United Talent Agency (UTA)
- Joseph Horacek III of Manatt, Phelps & Philips LLP
- Christopher Chatham, Chatham Law Group
- Bill Dawson, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Phil is represented by –
- Debbie Higgins McCall (1970–1973) – At the age of 20, Phil McGraw married his high school sweetheart who was a cheerleader and homecoming queen, Debbie Higgins McCall in 1970. Their marriage ended in 1973 owing to McGraw’s infidelity. Debbie expired in 2014 after a prolonged battle with Cancer.
- Robin Jo Jameson (1973–1976) – Robin was a friend of Phil’s sister and first met him while visiting his home. She is an actress turned entrepreneur, author, and TV personality best known for her skincare brand. The couple got married in 1976 and they have 2 sons together named Jay McGraw (b. September 1979) who is a TV producer and Jordan McGraw (b. October 1986) who is a musician.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish, Welsh, and Scottish ancestry. He also has distant English and Iberian (Greek & Roman) ancestry.
- Horseshoe pattern baldness
- Has maintained his signature mustache
- Speaks with a thick, Southern accent
- Tall and broad build
- He has been featured in the print ads for CSA Nutraceuticals‘ Shape Up! weight management and nutrition products (2003), American Dairy Farmers‘ “Got Milk?” milk mustache campaign (2004), and M&M Candies (2008).
- Phil also signed an endorsement deal with Match.com in 2006.
- He filmed a TV commercial for Acura Automobiles in 2012.
- He has been a spokesperson for AstraZeneca (2016) diabetes drug.
Dr. Phil McGraw Favorite Things
- Sport – Tennis
- Book (Fiction) – To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Book (Non-fiction) – Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
- Movies – Tommy Boy (1995), Used Cars (1980), My Cousin Vinny (1992)
- Cartoon Character / Superhero – Superman
Dr. Phil McGraw Facts
- At the age of 41, he was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and ever since he has planned his lifestyle to manage this condition.
- After running a private Psychology practice in Texas with his father for many years, Phil voluntarily gave up his license in 2006 because he was settled in California by that time. He has never held a license to practice as a Psychologist in the state of California and claimed on the Today show that his statements in daytime talk shows are mere ‘advice’.
- With $65.5 million earnings, Dr. Phil was the 22nd highest-paid celebrity of 2020 as per Forbes.
Featured Image by Angela George/ Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0