|Phil Mickelson Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||June 16, 1970|
Phil Mickelson is a professional golfer from San Diego, California, U.S. Talking about the Official World Golf Ranking, he has remained in the top 10 spots for more than 700 weeks until now. In golf, he is known for his left-handed swing. He has received Haskins Award in 1990, 1991, and 1992. He won his first Masters Tournament in 2004.
Philip Alfred Mickelson
San Diego, California, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Phil Mickelson went to the University of San Diego High School and graduated from the high school in 1988.
He then secured admission at the Arizona State University on a golf scholarship and graduated in 1992 with a major in psychology.
- Father – Philip Mickelson (Former Naval Aviator and Airline Pilot)
- Mother – Mary Mickelson
- Others – William Albert Mickelson (Paternal Grandfather), Marie V. Peres (Paternal Grandmother), Alfred Gomes Santos (Maternal Grandfather), C. Jennie Navarra (Maternal Grandmother)
Phil Mickelson is represented by Gaylord Sports Management.
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
91 kg or 201 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Phil Mickelson has dated
- Amy Mickelson (1992-Present) – Phil Mickelson first met his wife Amy McBride in 1992 while they were studying at the Arizona State University. He was in the senior year, while she was still a junior. At the university, she was a member of the Phoenix Suns cheerleading squad. Phil had already won a major tournament in PGA Tour Northern Telecom Open as an amateur. But when he first told her that he was a pro golfer, she misunderstood him and thought he was working at the shop on the golf course. For their first date, they decided to play a game of tennis. Then, in early 1993, he asked her to come along for the Bob Hope Celebrity Pro-Am, which was their first tournament as a couple. In November 1996, they got married in a romantic wedding after having dated for 4 years. In June 1999, she gave birth to their first daughter, Amanda Brynn. On the same day, he managed to finish as a runner-up in the US open. They welcomed their second daughter, Sophia Isabel in October 2001. In June 2003, she gave birth to their son, Evan. However, the childbirth was complicated and Phil even featured that he might lose both of them. Evan had stopped breathing and she had ruptured an artery in her uterus. But they managed to pull through.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Swedish and Portuguese ancestry. While, on his mother’s side, he is of Sicilian and Portuguese descent.
- Bright smile
- Towering height
Phil Mickelson has done endorsement work for the following brands
- Workday, Inc.
- Callaway Golf
- Bearing Point
Best Known For
His successful career as a professional golfer during which he has won more than 40 PGA Tour events. He has also been ranked in the top-10 of the Official World Golf Ranking on several occasions.
In 1996, Phil made his theatrical film debut in the romantic comedy movie, Tin Cup.
First TV Show
In 1994, Phil Mickelson made his first TV show appearance in Witness episode of the comedy-drama series, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
Phil Mickelson regularly works with Sean Cochran, his strength and conditioning coach, to keep himself in the right shape. Mickelson was referred to Cochran by an orthopedic surgeon. They especially work hard in the offseason to ensure that he can perform at his physical best during the season.
Mickelson usually trains 4 days a week with his workout sessions lasting about 75 minutes. Cochran breaks his workout routine into 6 basic categories. They start the workout session with 5 minutes of foam rolling and follows it up with static stretching for 5 to 10 minutes.
Next in the workout is a dynamic warmup that focuses on bodyweight exercises. They follow it up with power sequence and core exercises. He finishes his workout session with total body strength exercises.
Phil Mickelson Favorite Things
- Pizza Restaurant – Joe’s Pizzeria & Sub Shop
Source – Callaway Golf
Phil Mickelson Facts
- In his collegiate golf career, he managed to win 16 tournaments. He also became the only second amateur golfer to win the first-team All-American honors for all 4 years of his collegiate stint.
- In 1990, Phil achieved the distinction of being the first player with a left-handed swing to win the US Amateur title.
- In May 2010, he was included by Time magazine in their prestigious, The 100 Most Influential People in the World. He was featured in the heroes’ category.
- In 2008, he was added to the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame.
- In 2011, Forbes magazine revealed that he was the second most earning US athlete with an earning of over $62 million. In his earnings, $53 million was earned from endorsement deals.
- In 2010, he was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which is usually found in people suffering from autoimmune disease, psoriasis.
- In May 2014, it was revealed that Mickelson and his associates were investigated by SEC and FBI for insider trading in Clorox stock.
- In 2012, he was honored with his induction into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
- When he turned professional, he didn’t have to participate in the tour’s qualifying process due to his victory at the Northern Telecom Open in Tucson, which made him exempt from the qualifying process for a period of 2 years.
- He won his first major championship in 2004 by securing a win at the PGA Tour Masters. He had scored an 18-foot birdie putt on the final hole for his victory.
- In May 2021, Phil became the oldest major winner in golf’s history by winning the PGA Championship at the age of 50 years, 11 months, and 7 days old. He received $2.1 million as the top prize money. Before this, he had only won the PGA Championship in 2005.
- Visit his official website @ philmickelson.com.
Featured Image by Tour Pro Golf Clubs / Flickr / CC BY 2.0