|PJ Harvey Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||October 9, 1969|
PJ Harvey is an English musician, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and actress who has released a number of popular albums and tracks which include the likes of Rid of Me, Dry, To Bring You My Love, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, Sheela-Na-Gig, Let England Shake, Uh Huh Her, Down by the Water, A Perfect Day Elise, The Words That Maketh Murder, The Community of Hope, Guilty, 50ft Queenie, and The Wheel. She was also voted as No.1 female rock star in history while Madonna was voted at number #2 in a readers poll in British rock magazine Q in 2001.
Polly Jean Harvey
Bridport, Dorset, England, United Kingdom
Polly studied at a school in Beaminster in Dorset, England. She took guitar lessons from Steve Knightley while studying there.
She went on to graduate from Yeovil College in Yeovil, Somerset, and completed a foundation course in visual arts.
She also studied sculpture at the Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design.
Musician, singer, songwriter, composer, artist, writer, poet, actress
- Father – Ray Harvey (Stone Quarrying Business)
- Mother – Eva Harvey
- Sibling – Saul Harvey (Older Brother)
She is managed by Universal Music Operations Limited.
Alternative Rock, Punk Blues, Art Rock, Indie Rock, Folk Rock, Experimental Rock
Vocals, guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, autoharp, saxophone, violin, cello, harmonica, drums, percussion, melodica, accordion
Too Pure, Island (PolyGram), Island (UMG)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
55 kg or 121 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
PJ Harvey has dated –
- Joe Dilworth – The musician dated photographer and drummer Joe Dilworth in the 1990s.
- Vincent Gallo – She was in a relationship with American actor Vincent Gallo.
- Nick Cave (1996-1997) – PJ Harvey and Australian singer Nick Cave met through musical collaborations. They dated for some time and then broke up. Nick’s 1997 album The Boatman’s Call has songs like Into My Arms, West Country Girl, and Black Hair that were dedicated to Harvey.
- Josh Homme (2003) – PJ Harvey was RUMORed to be dating American musician Josh Homme in 2003.
- Josh Klinghoffer (2004-2005) – The British singer dated American musician Josh Klinghoffer for some time in the mid-2000s.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English descent.
- Expansive contralto vocal range
- Couture outfits
- Red lips
32-25-30 in or 81-63.5-76 cm
4 (US) or 34 (EU)
6.5 (US) or 37 (EU) or 4 (UK)
Best Known For
Her various songs such as Down by the Water, Henry Lee, When Under Ether, etc.
She released her first studio album Dry on March 30, 1992, via Too Pure. The album received 4.5/5 ratings from AllMusic.
As an actress, PJ first appeared in the 1998 film The Book of Life. for her role as Magdalena.
First TV Show
PJ Harvey was first seen in the talk show Later… With Jools Holland as herself in 1993. She has now appeared in more than 10 episodes.
PJ Harvey Favorite Things
- Bands – Pixies, Television, Slint
- Animal – Horse
- Song – Tainted Love (By Soft Cell)
PJ Harvey Facts
- PJ Harvey spent most of her childhood on her family farm in Corscombe, Dorset.
- She learned to play the saxophone during her teens.
- The musician was previously a part of Bologne, an instrumental band in Dorset.
- Harvey was a guitarist for the Polekats and even did some songwriting for the group.
- In 1992, Rolling Stone named her the Best New Artist and Best Singer-Songwriter and in 1995, she was named “Artist of the Year”.
- In 1998, she became a guitarist, vocalist, and saxophone player for the Automatic Dlamini band.
- On October 23, 2000, she released her 5th studio album, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, which included songs like Good Fortune, This Is Love, A Place Called Home, Big Exit, Horses in My Dreams, You Said Something, and We Float. The album won the 2001 Mercury Prize for “Album of the Year” and was certified ‘Platinum’ by Australia (ARIA) and United Kingdom (BPI) and ‘Gold’ by Belgium (BEA) and France (SNEP).
- She won the Outstanding Contribution to Music award at the NME Awards in 2011.
- In 2013, the musician was honored with the Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for her contributions to the music industry.
- The singer supported the Guantanamo Bay detention camp detainee Shaker Aamer. She released a song titled Shaker Aamer on August 3, 2013, that described his hunger strike.
- The visual style of every album she releases is unique and she works on it with photographer Maria Mochnacz. The two are good friends.
- Harvey is a talented sculptor and her works have been exhibited at the Bridport Arts Center and the Lamont Gallery.
- PJ Harvey joined hands with photographer Seamus Murphy and published her poetry collection titled The Hollow of The Hand in October 2015.
- VH1 ranked her at #55 on the “100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll” list.
- She shared a close friendly bond with the late American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Don Van Vliet (also known as Captain Beefheart).
- She once said, “I don’t loathe interviews, I’m just one of those people who makes music because I find it difficult to talk.”
- Visit her official website @ pjharvey.net.
- Listen to her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube VEVO, MySpace, iTunes, and Spotify.