|PJ Morton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||March 29, 1981|
PJ Morton got his first breakthrough as a musician after he was hired by Maroon 5 as their touring member in 2010 and they eventually made him a regular member in 2012. In March of the same year, he launched his solo career with his debut solo EP, Following My First Mind. Later, he established his own record label and released his 4th studio album, Gumbo, via his own label. The album has earned critical acclaim and has also received Grammy Awards nominations.
Paul Morton Jr.
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
PJ Morton completed his high school education from St. Augustine High School. Then, he got enrolled at the Morehouse College and graduated with a major in marketing.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Bishop Paul S. Morton (Founder of the Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship and Gospel Singer)
- Mother – Dr. Debra Brown Morton (Pastor of Greater St. Stephen Full Gospel Baptist Church)
PJ Morton is represented by Tanya S James of TJ Entertainment Group.
R&B, Pop Rock
Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money, Republic, 222 Records, Interscope, Morton Recordings, A&M Octone Records
5 ft 8 in or 172.5 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
PJ Morton has dated –
- Kortni Morton (2008-Present) – PJ Morton got married to his longtime girlfriend, Kortni, on the Christmas’ Eve in 2008. They had known each other since their childhood as her mother used to work for PJ’s mother at Greater St. Stephen. But, they didn’t start dating until they had both become adults and officially started dating while he was studying at the Morehouse College. Over the course of their marriage, she has given birth to 3 children.
Race / Ethnicity
- Wears glasses
- Often wears a cap
- A mole under his left eye
Best Known For
- Being one of the keyboardists of the popular pop-rock band, Maroon 5
- The critical acclaim garnered by his studio album, Gumbo, which managed to win the nomination for Best R&B Album at the 2017 Grammy Awards
- The commercial success of his album, New Orleans, which peaked at the 23rd position on Billboard’s US Top R&B /Hip-Hop Albums music chart
In 2005, he released his debut studio album, Emotions, which didn’t achieve much commercial success.
PJ’s first studio album with Maroon 5 was Overexposed, which was released in June 2012. The album reached as high as the 22nd spot on the US Billboard 200 charts and was also certified platinum by RIAA (United States) and ARIA (Australia).
First TV Show
In 2013, PJ Morton made his first TV show appearance on the popular talk show, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
PJ Morton Favorite Things
- New Orleanian – His mother
- Best Neighborhood In New Orleans – Frenchmen Street in the Marigny
- Best Meal He Had In New Orleans – Gene’s hot sausage po-boy
- New Orleans Brunch Spot – Surrey’s on Magazine
- Neighborhood Bar – Snug Harbor or Blue Nile
- New Orleans Cocktail – Rum Punch
- New Orleans Dessert – Tastee’s glazed donuts
- New Orleans Spot For Live Music – House of Blues and Tipitina’s
- New Orleans Musician – Allen Toussaint
- New Orleans Festival – Jazz Fest
- New Orleans Local Shop – Aristocracy
Source – GoNOLA.com
PJ Morton Facts
- It was his close friend and Maroon 5‘s musical director, Adam Blackstone, who asked him to audition for the position of keyboardist and backing vocalist for Maroon 5 in 2010.
- Although he wasn’t made a member of the band, PJ made a positive impression on the band members and was invited by them to play with them at their live performances and concerts.
- In 2012, it was announced that he had joined Maroon 5 as a full-time member.
- His solo work caught rapper Mack Maine’s attention, who decided to sign Morton to his record label, Soothe Your Soul, and Young Money Entertainment, for which Maine was working as the president, in 2011.
- In 2016, PJ moved back to his hometown of New Orleans and started his record label called Morton Records.
- His first studio album, Gumbo, released by his own record label was critically acclaimed.
- In 2009, he published his non-fiction book called Why Can’t I Sing About Love?
- Visit his official website @ pjmortonmusic.com.
Featured Image by PJ Morton / Instagram