|Prithvi Shaw Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 9, 1999|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Prithvi Shaw is an Indian cricketer who is renowned for his domineering batsmanship at the top of the order. He was a child prodigy and rose to fame as a 14-year-old when he played a mammoth inning of 546 runs, which was then the highest score in school cricket history, for his school Rizvi Springfield in the Harris Shield (age-group cricket tournament). He began playing domestic first-class cricket for Mumbai in his mid-teens and then captained India to the ICC Under-19 World Cup title in 2018. Prithvi made his debut for the senior national team in October 2018 in a Test Match against the West Indies and scored a hundred in that game becoming the then-youngest Indian cricketer to achieve the feat.
Prithvi Pankaj Shaw
Prithvi Missile, Chhotu
Thane, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Prithvi has attended the Rizvi Springfield High School in Mumbai. He captained the school’s cricket team to Harris Shield titles in 2012 and 2013.
- Father – Pankaj Shaw (Garments Trader)
- Mother – She died in 2003.
- Others – Ashok Gupta (Paternal Grandfather)
He is represented by Baseline Ventures, Sports Marketing, Entertainment & Brand Licensing Company, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Right-Arm Off Break
100 – IPL, Youth ODI, ODI
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Prithvi has dated –
- Nidhhi Tapadiaa – Prithvi is dating model and actress Nidhhi Tapadiaa. The couple made their first public appearance at the IIFA Awards in May 2023.
Race / Ethnicity
- Short stature
- Sports a thin mustache
- Short-cropped hair
Prithvi has served as the ambassador for brands such as –
- ‘Youva’ Product Range (Navneet Education)
- FanMojo (Fantasy Sports Platform)
He has been featured in the TV commercials for –
He has been sponsored by brands such as –
- IOC (Indian Oil Corporation)
- SG (Sanspareils Greenlands) Cricket
Prithvi Shaw Favorite Things
- Cricketer/Role Model – Sachin Tendulkar
- Batsmen – Sachin Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Virat Kohli
- Sports – Cricket, Table Tennis
- Hobby – Watching Movies
Prithvi Shaw Facts
- Prithvi’s family used to live in Gaya, Bihar but in search of better business opportunities, his father had to shift his base to Mumbai. He later adopted the last name ‘Shaw’ in place of the traditional family name of ‘Gupta’.
- In April 2012, Prithvi received an invitation to play for 2 months for the Cheadle Hulme School in Manchester. He scored 1,446 runs at an astonishing average of 84 runs per innings and even captured 68 wickets during his stint with the school’s team.
- His first-class debut came directly in the semi-final match of the 2016–17 Ranji Trophy season. He scored a century in the 2nd innings and was named ‘man of the match’.
- Prithvi also scored a hundred in his Duleep Trophy debut match, the then-youngest to do so. He also equaled the record that was first set by Sachin Tendulkar who had scored a hundred in his debut matches of both the Ranji Trophy and the Duleep Trophy.
- In April 2018, he became the youngest player (18 years and 165 days) to open the batting in the history of the IPL (Indian Premier League). The same month, he became the joint youngest player (tied with Sanju Samson at 18 years and 169 days) to score an IPL half-century.
- When he scored a hundred in his Test Match debut in October 2018, he became the second-youngest Indian cricketer after Sachin Tendulkar to make a Test hundred. He was also named ‘Player of the Series’ at the end of that 2-match series against West Indies.
- In July 2019, he was handed a backdated 8-month ban by the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) for a doping violation. He had indirectly ingested the prohibited drug Terbutaline (commonly found in cough syrups) and was banned from all cricket till November 15, 2019.
- In October 2021, just after finishing IPL 2021, Prithvi gifted himself a BMW 630I GranTurismo car worth INR 68.50 lakh (ex-showroom).
- In October 2022, Prithvi revealed that he had lost 7-8 kg of body weight since his last IPL. He achieved weight loss by spending time in the gym, avoiding sweet food and cold drinks, and completely eliminating Chinese food.
- In October 2022, Shaw scored the highest total T20 score by any Indian in 2022. He made 134 from 61 deliveries while playing against Assam in Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. The previous record was held by Devdutt Padikkal.
- In a Ranji Trophy Test match, while playing for Mumbai against Assam, which started on January 10, 2023, Prithvi Shaw scored his maiden first-class triple hundred by scoring 379 off 383 balls. He hit 49 fours and 4 sixes. His previous personal best score was 202 (179) which he had scored in 2019 against Baroda in a Ranji Trophy match.
- In January 2023, he became the first player in Ranji Trophy to score a triple ton. Before him, no one ever scored a triple century in Ranji Trophy, but still, this is the second-highest individual score ever in Ranji Trophy. The highest was scored by B.B. Nimbalkar in the 1948-1949 season for Maharashtra against Kathiawar in Ranji Trophy when he scored an unbeaten 443.
- He is also the first player to score a double century in the Vijay Hazare Trophy.
- Prithvi Shaw is also the first player to hit a century in Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy which he did in 2022.
- In February 2023, Prithvi’s friend’s car was attacked by 8 people in Mumbai after Prithvi refused to take a selfie, even for the second time, with 2 people. Out of those 8 people was a female influencer named Sapna Gill having over 200,000 followers on Instagram at the time of the incident. After Sapna got arrested, her lawyer alleged that Prithvi was drunk and had attacked Sapna with the bat.
- In July 2023, it was revealed that Prithvi had signed a deal with Northamptonshire to play the County Cricket season in England.
- In August 2023, Prithvi hit 244 runs off 153 deliveries in a 50-over match in England while playing for Northamptonshire against Somerset in a Royal London One-Day Cup. With this, he made multiple records such as being the first batter to score 220 plus runs in a List A innings twice (another was 227*(152) for Mumbai in 2021). It is also the highest List A score by an Indian in the UK.
Featured Image by Prithvi Shaw / Instagram