Madhavan Balaji Ranganathan
Jamshedpur, Bihar, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
He completed his graduation in engineering and wanted to pursue his career in the army. During his college, he was one of the leading NCC cadets and visited England to train under the British Army, the Royal Navy, and the Royal Air Force.
He was part of a scholarship student exchange programme in Stettler, Alberta, Canada for a year in 1998. He later went on to pursue his post graduation from Kishinchand Chellaram College in Mumbai.
Actor, Writer, Producer
- Father – Ranganathan (Former Management Executive in Tata Steel)
- Mother – Saroja (Former Manager in the Bank of India)
- Siblings – Devika (Younger Sister) (Software Engineer)
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
R. Madhavan has dated –
- Sarita Birje (1991-Present) – Sarita attended personality training classes where Madhavan was a teacher. She was aspiring to be an air hostess, and once she got through the interview, she asked him out for dinner. Their love blossomed, and the two began dating. The two finally tied the knot after 8 years of courtship in 1999 in a traditional Tamil wedding ceremony. The couple has a son called Vedanta (b. 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
R. Madhavan has Tamil ancestry.
Salt and Pepper (Natural)
He often tends to dye his hair ‘dark brown’ or ‘black’.
- His smile
- Madhavan’s charming looks
- His dusky complexion
R. Madhavan has endorsed the following brands –
- Hathway Broadband
- Santoor Soap
- Fair and Lovely
- Maruti Suzuki WagonR
- Arun Excello
- Joy Alukkas
Best Known For
Being one of the most versatile and well-known actors in the Indian film line who has managed to mark his presence in regional as well as national films.
R. Madhavan made his theatrical film debut in an uncredited role in the movie Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin in 1996.
His first credited role was in the 1997 movie Inferno.
First TV Show
R Madhavan made his television show debut on the romantic television series Yule Love Stories in 1993.
Madhavan practices yoga which helps him keep a balance in his body and mind. He also works out every day for an hour.
Madhavan admits to being a foodie. Hence, it becomes difficult for him to keep his weight in check. He also ensures that he is hydrated with protein shakes and energy drinks.
For his role in the movie Saala Khadoos, he was required to gain muscle for portraying the character of a boxing coach. He eventually had to lose the weight for his next film, which Madhavan did by following his diet which he keeps a secret. He abstained from eating after 6 pm and maintained a gap of at least 5 and a half hours between his meals which helped him lose 11 kgs.
R. Madhavan Favorite Things
- Food – Pani Puri, Curd rice
- Desserts – Rasgullas, Rasmalai, Gajar Halwa, Petha, Black Forest pastry
Source – Filmibeat.com
R. Madhavan Facts
- He follows vegetarianism and was voted the cutest male vegetarian by PETA.
- R. Madhavan was invited to be a guest speaker at the Harvard University for the 14th Indian Conference.
- He is very vocal about the protection of animals and was also given the title of “Person of the Year” by PETA in 2012.
- He is extremely family-oriented and enjoys spending time with his family.
- In 1992, he attended the Young Businessmen Conference held in Tokyo, Japan as an Indian representative.
- He can speak 3 different languages.
- He plays golf and has even participated in a charity event held in 2007.
- Madhavan is a philanthropist and deals in a lot of charity work such as the AIDS awareness programme started by Richard Gere in India amongst others.
- He has revealed that he is allergic to non-vegetarian food.
- He dislikes spicy food and Fenugreek.
- Follow Madhavan on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Featured Image by R. Madhavan / Instagram