|Rafael Furcal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||October 24, 1977|
Rafael Furcal is a Dominican former baseball shortstop who played for some of Major League Baseball‘s most prominent teams such as the Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers, St. Louis Cardinals, and Miami Marlins.
Rafael Antoni Furcal
Loma de Cabrera, Dominican Republic
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Rafael studied at the Jose Cabrera High School. After completing his high school, he wanted to enroll at an engineering school. However, he was spotted by a baseball scout during a tryout in Santo Domingo and decided not to continue his studies.
Former Professional Baseball Shortstop
- Father – Silvino Furcal (Taxi Driver)
- Mother – Aura Furcal (School Teacher)
- Siblings – José Furcal (Older Brother), Manuel Furcal (Older Brother), Lorenzo Furcal (Older Brother). He also has a sister
As a member of the St. Louis Cardinals, Rafael was represented by Mike Matheny.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
88 kg or 194 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rafael has dated –
- Glenny – He is married to a woman named Glenny and has 2 sons named Rafael Jr. (b. 2006) and Anthony (b. 2008).
Note: Furcal also has a daughter named Ashley (b. 2004) from a past relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
- Sports a boxed beard shape
- He has a beauty spot on his cheek.
Rafael Furcal Facts
- He was brought up in Loma de Cabrera near the Dajabón River alongside his 3 older brothers and sister.
- Rafael did not come from a very well-off family as his father drove a taxi and his mother taught in a school to be able to support their family.
- It was his father Silvino who brought up Rafael’s interest in the sport of baseball and soon Rafael earned himself a lot of attention as an outstanding outfielder amongst Major League scouts.
- He once stated in an interview that he credited his father for teaching him to enjoy and take pride in playing baseball.
- Rafael’s brother Manuel played as a pitcher for the Seattle Mariners organization, whereas Lorenzo played for the Oakland Athletics. However, Lorenzo’s career came to an end after he had sustained severe injuries.
- Sadly for Rafael, his brother Manuel died in an accident the same year that his brother José committed suicide.
- On November 9, 1996, he signed with to his first professional team, the Atlanta Braves for $ 5,000.
- He played his first professional game as a 2nd baseman in 1997, with the Gulf Coast Braves.
- He retired from the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2008.
- Rafael is very well-known for his humanitarian work in his hometown as he had gotten his city a fire truck from the Los Angeles Fire Department and also opted to pay the hospital bills of the residents of his town.
- In 2010, Rafael lost his father on the special occasion of Father’s Day after he got kicked by a horse on their farm.
- He was named as one of the people who were considered to get a place on the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2020.
Featured Image By John Max Mena / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0