|Rahsaan Patterson Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||January 11, 1974|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rahsaan Patterson is an American singer and actor who became well-known for his appearances as The Kid in Kids Incorporated, a music-oriented children’s TV show, from 1984 to 1987. He featured in that show with future music stars like Fergie, Renee Sands, Martika, and Shanice. Post the show, Rahsaan sought a record deal and there was a near bidding war over him. He eventually signed with music label MCA Records in 1995 and released his eponymous debut album in 1997 in collaboration with Les Pierce, Keith Crouch, and Jamey Jaz. The album was received positively by critics and Rahsaan began to develop a loyal fan-following around the world. After this, he started working on a follow-up album, again with Jamey Jaz and new collaborators like Van Hunt. The album was titled Love in Stereo and was released in 1999. It garnered even better reviews than his first album. The album had singles like The Moment and Treat You Like A Queen. Rahsaan and MCA Records parted ways after this but he continued working on his next album.
In 2004, he released his 3rd album internationally titled After Hours with a new label called Artistry Music. It was met with overwhelmingly positive reviews. It had singles such as So Hot, April’s Kiss, and Forever Yours. His next album, Wines & Spirits (2007) was released in collaboration with Keith Crouch and Jamey Jaz. The album had singles such as Stop Breaking My Heart and Feels Good. After the album’s release, Rahsaan started touring around the world for live performances. In August of 2008, he released a Christmas album titled The Ultimate Gift. In December 2010, he released a new song on iTunes, Easier Said Than Done. The aim was to project it as the lead single of his new album. In July 2011, the album Bleuphoria was released on Artistry Music. Bleuphoria became Rahsaan’s first album to breach the Top 40 of the R&B/hip-hop charts. After Bleuphoria, Rahsaan took an extended break before releasing his next album but continued to give active live performances and collaborate with other musicians. In 2019, he released a new single titled Sent from Heaven. His next album titled Heroes & Gods was released on Shanachie Records in 2019. It marked Rahsaan’s 35th year in the entertainment industry. The album fused traditional and modern R&B with mature pop and was in collaboration with artists like Jamey Jaz, Lalah Hathaway, Trina Broussard, Rachelle Ferrell, and Joi Gilliam.
New York City, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Actor
- Father – He was an athlete.
- Mother – She was an actress.
- Siblings – Tara Patterson (Older Sister), Rasha Patterson (Younger Sister)
He is represented by –
- David Lombard, Personal Manager
- Marilyn Batchelor, Independent Marketing for Rahsaan, TBG Entertainment Marketing
- Larry Shields, Booking Agent, The Agency Group
- Sheila Eldridge and Tamara Young, Publicist, Miles Ahead Entertainment
- Monifa Brown, Publicist, Shanachie Entertainment
- Randall Kennedy, Label Marketing, Mack Avenue Records
- Lucille Hunt, Licensing & Operations, Mack Avenue Records
R&B, Soul, Neo-Soul, Hip Hop, Funk, Jazz
Keyboard, Guitar, Vocals
- MCA Records
- Mack Avenue Records
- Artistry Music
- RCA Label Group UK
- Dome Records (Europe)
- Shanachie Records
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Dynamic and sharp tenor voice
- Salt-and-Pepper beard
- ‘Sun’ Tattoo on his right hand
- Often wears rings and bracelets on both hands
Pentecostalism (Protestant Christian)
Rahsaan grew up in a strict religious family but became disillusioned post his dark experience with the church, as a child. Later, he had reconciled with the faith.
Best Known For
- His albums such as Love in Stereo (1999), After Hours (2004) and Bleuphoria (2011)
- His 4-year stint as “The Kid” on the children’s musical TV show Kids Incorporated from 1984 to 1987
Rahsaan’s first album was the eponymous Rahsaan Patterson, released in 1997.
First TV Show
Rahsaan made his TV show debut on the children’s musical show Kids Incorporated as “The Kid” in 1984.
Rahsaan Patterson Favorite Things
- Movie – Under the Same Moon (2007)
- Fictional Character – Snoopy from Charlie Brown comic strips
- Album – Parade (1986) by Prince
- Musician – Chaka Khan, Prince, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, and Al Green
- Art Work – The Mona Lisa
- Clothing Brand – Levi’s
Source – Pop Matters
Rahsaan Patterson Facts
- He was named after a blind jazz musician, Rahsaan Roland Kirk.
- Rahsaan began singing early as a child. He used to sing in a church choir.
- His writing and singing style have often drawn a comparison with Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan.
- Rahsaan’s audition for the show Kids Incorporated was arranged by Kim Fields‘s mother, Chip Fields Hurd. He performed over the phone for the casting directors and was selected immediately.
- The cast of Kids Incorporated, including Rahsaan, won the ”Ensemble Award” at the Young Artist Awards in 1987.
- Post Kids Incorporated, Rahsaan gained experience as a writer and backup vocalist for artists like Martika, Brandy, Christopher Williams, and Tevin Campbell. His credits during that time included vocal contributions for Les Pierce’s musical group Colour Club‘s self-titled album, writing for Brandy’s chart-topping song Baby, and Tevin Campbell’s hit song Back to the World.
- After his 2nd album Love in Stereo and subsequent split with MCA Records, he worked as a session singer and contributed to soundtracks like Brown Sugar and albums like Steve Harvey‘s Sign of Things to Come.
- In 2008, he joined hands with Australian-born musician Jarrad ‘Jaz’ Rogers and Danish singer Ida Corr to form a London-based alternative soul/pop/funk trio. It was named SugaRush Beat Company and released an eponymous album via RCA Label Group UK in the summer of that year.
- In 2008, Rahsaan’s Christmas album titled The Ultimate Gift won him a BET J award for “Underground Artist of the Year”.
- In 2011, he performed a live show at B.B. King’s Blues Club. The show was sold out and received positive reviews.
- Rahsaan’s 2011 album Bleuphoria featured appearances from artists like Shanice, Jody Watley, Faith Evans, Lalah Hathaway, and long-time collaborators like Keith Crouch and Jamey Jaz.
- Rahsaan has opened up about the fact that he was molested as a 6-year-old in a church. He revealed it to his family and friends only when he was 18 years old. He has stated that he found great comfort talking about it to friends who had similar experiences.
- Rahsaan has become a partner with USA’s largest anti-s*xual violence organization, RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). They run a hotline that helps people deal with s*xual-violence trauma.
- Visit his official website @ rahsaan.com.
- Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, SoundCloud, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Rahsaan Patterson / Instagram