|Rakhee Gulzar Quick Info
|5 ft 2.5 in
|Date of Birth
|August 15, 1947
Rakhee Gulzar is an Indian actress who became one of the most popular females in the Indian film industry during the peak of her career that lasted from 1967 to 2003 where she appeared in numerous Hindi and Bengali movies. She has been the recipient of several awards including the Filmfare Award in 1973 for “Best Supporting Actress” for her performance in Daag: A Poem of Love, the BFJA Award in 1984 for “Best Actress” for her work in Paroma, the National Film Award in 2003 for “Best Supporting Actress” for the Bengali film Shubho Mahurat and she has also been conferred the Padma Shri Award in 2003.
Ranaghat, Nadia district, West Bengal, India
Farmhouse in Panvel on the outskirts of Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
She received her initial education in a girls’ school at Ranaghat in the Nadia district of West Bengal.
- Siblings – Shibranjan Majumdar (Older Brother) (Film Producer), Shankar Majumdar (Younger Brother) (Film Producer)
5 ft 2.5 in or 159 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Ajay Biswas (1963-1965) – She had an arranged marriage with the Bengali journalist and film director Ajoy Biswas in 1963. They got divorced in 1965.
- Sampoorna Singh Gulzar (1973-1974) – She married the film director, music director, poet and lyricist Gulzar in 1973. They have a daughter named Meghna Gulzar (b. December 13, 1973) alias Bosky. They got separated when their daughter was only 1 year old.
Race / Ethnicity
- Arched eyebrows
Rakhee Gulzar Favorite Things
- Co-Stars – Shashi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna
The Films That She Regards To Be Her Best Ones – Blackmail, Sharmeelee, Kabhi Kabhie, Tapasya, Trishna, Aanchal, Humkadam, Baseraa, Shradhanjali, Dil… Akhir Dil Hai, Pighalta Aasman, Paroma
Source – IMDb
Rakhee Gulzar Facts
- She was born soon after the declaration of independence of India.
- Her father had a successful shoe business in his native village in East Bengal that is known as Bangladesh today, before the partition of India, and he later on settled in West Bengal.
- She has fond childhood memories of sneaking out of her house in Ranaghat to run to the nearby forest and gaze upon the lush greenery. In her memorable roles in the films, she has often projected a figure of contemplation with emotions loitering beneath the surface of her beautiful eyes and measured smile.
- Rakhee kickstarted her acting career with the Bengali film Bodhu Boron in 1967 with Geeta Dutta in the protagonist’s role. She debuted in Hindi films with Jeevan Mrityu in 1970.
- In March 2020, she stated that she has felt greatly rewarded when people still come up to her saying they recognize her.
- Rakhee has lived in recluse in her farmhouse, spending her time looking after a huge flock of animals, growing vegetables as well as reading books.
Featured Image by Rakhee Gulzar Beauty / Instagram