|Rakim Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||January 28, 1968|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rakim is an American rapper and record producer who is best known for his work as one-half of the iconic hip hop duo Eric B. & Rakim who had released the studio albums Paid in Full (1987), Follow the Leader (1988), Let The Rhythm Hit ‘Em (1990), and Don’t Sweat the Technique (1992). He is often considered as one of the most skilled MCs of all time and is widely acclaimed for transforming the hip hop musical genre by pioneering the use of internal rhymes and multisyllabic rhymes. The album Paid in Full (1987) was named the ‘Greatest Hip Hop Album of All Time’ by MTV in 2006 and he was placed at number 4 in their list of the ‘Greatest MCs of All Time’. The Source, an American hip hop and entertainment website, in 2012, had placed him at number 1 in their list of ‘The Top 50 Lyricists of All Time’. After his breakup with Eric B. in 1993, he had embarked on a solo career and had launched the studio albums titled The 18th Letter (1997), The Master (1999), and The Seventh Seal (2009).
William Michael Griffin Jr.
The God MC, Kid Wizard, Rakim Allah, The R
Wyandanch, Babylon, Suffolk County, New York, United States
Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States
Rakim had attended the Wyandanch High School in his hometown.
Rapper, Record Producer
- Father – William Griffin Sr.
- Mother – Cynthia Griffin
- Siblings – Steve Griffin (Older Brother), Ronnie Griffin (Older Brother)
- Others – Ruth Brown (Aunt) (Singer, Songwriter, Actress) (d. November 17, 2006)
Vocals, Saxophone, Drums
- 4th & B’way Records
- Island Records
- MCA Records
- Aftermath Entertainment
- Uptown Records
- Universal Music Group
- SMC Recordings
- Fast Life Music
- Uni Records
- Hip-O Records
6 ft or 183 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rakim has dated –
- Nicole Smith
- Karrine Steffans
He has 2 children – a son named Jabar Griffin and a daughter named Destiny Griffin – from an unnamed relationship(s).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Lanky frame
- Sports a trimmed goatee
- Has a mole under his left eye
- Always makes appearances in a baseball hat or a beanie
He had been featured in a TV commercial for the video game All-Pro Football 2K8 (2007).
- He had wanted to become a football player as a child and used to play as a quarterback in his high school team.
- His other interest in childhood was writing and he had composed his first original rhyme at the age of 7. It was about the iconic cartoon character Mickey Mouse.
- It was after getting introduced to local DJ Eric B. though, that he began to focus seriously on writing lyrics and pursuing a career in music.
- In 1986, at the age of 18, he was introduced to the ‘Nation of Islam’, an African-American political and religious movement. He had later joined ‘The Nation of Gods and Earths’, another Islam-influenced cultural movement, and had adopted the name, Rakim Allah. He had also used it as his stage name, later shortening it to simply Rakim.
- His memoir titled Sweat the Technique: A Lyrical Genius Breaks Down His Creative Life was published in 2019.
Featured Image by Rakim / Instagram