Ralph Duren May
Ralphie, Sweet Dick May
Ralphie May was born on February 17, 1972.
Ralphie May passed away at the age of 45 on October 6, 2017, in Las Vegas due to a cardiac arrest.
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Ralphie May went to the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Upon completion of high school education, he decided to focus on stand-up comedy instead of going to college.
Stand up comedian and Actor
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – His mother was a florist.
- Siblings – He had three older siblings.
Ralphie May was represented by Levity Entertainment Group (Talent Management Company).
Wit, Satire, Wordplay, Race, Sexuality, Religion, Obesity, Family life, Politics, Medicine
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
204 kg or 450 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ralphie May had dated –
- Lahna Turner (2005-2015) – After having dated for some time, Ralphie May got married to comedienne Lahna Turner in August 2005 in a low-key ceremony. In September 2007, she gave birth to a baby girl, April June. They welcomed their second child, a boy whom they named August James May in June 2009. In October 2015, they filed for divorce and sought joint custody of their children. However, their divorce soon after turned ugly as she slapped serious allegations against him. By the time he passed away in October 2017, their divorce was still unresolved. In his will, he had left everything he owned including properties, automobiles, and paintings to his estranged wife.
Race / Ethnicity
He had an obese body. At one point, he used to weigh about 800 lbs.
Ralphie May hadn’t done endorsement work for any brand.
He didn’t speak about his religious beliefs while alive.
Best Known For
- Having participated in the 1st season of the talent hunt TV show, Last Comic Standing. He managed to finish in the 2nd position in the competition.
- Having appeared in a number of popular comedy shows such as The Wayne Brady Show and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- Having recorded a couple of comedy specials for Netflix (such as Imperfectly Yours) as well as Comedy Central (including Too Big to Ignore and Prime Cut).
In 2005, he released his first comedy album, Just Correct.
In 2002, he made his theatrical film debut in the comedy movie, For da Love of Money.
First TV Show
In 1997, Ralphie May made his first TV show appearance in the comedy game show, Make Me Laugh.
His workout routine and diet plan were never known.
Ralphie May Favorite Things
- Idol – Sam Kinison
- Food – Cuban food
Source – Wikipedia, Miami New Times
Ralphie May Facts
- In 2004, he underwent a gastric bypass surgery, which helped him drop about 350 pounds of weight. He intended to lose some more weight through exercise but he couldn’t achieve his goal.
- At the age of 16, he was involved in a car accident. He was a passenger in the car and had 42 of his bones broken in the accident. This early accident is often blamed for his obesity.
- At the age of 17, he managed to win a talent competition, in which the winner was granted an opportunity to open for Sam Kinison.
- Before he became a successful comedian, he used to work as a chef. He used to work at Four Seasons in Houston, NOLA’s, and Emeril Lagasse’s restaurant in New Orleans.
- Sam Kinison advised him to move to Houston to further his comedic career. However, after graduating from high school, he instead decided to move to Los Angeles.
- In November 2011, he was struck with a near-fatal bout of pulmonary embolism. He had contracted serious pneumonia on a cruise ship. Also, a blood clot had got lodged in the artery of his leg.
- Prior to his death, he had been suffering from a serious bout of pneumonia, which had forced him to cancel his shows.
- The day he died, he was scheduled to attend a meet and greet event at Harrah’s in Las Vegas.
- Visit his official website @ ralphiemay.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.
Featured Image by Alex Archambault / Flickr / CC BY-2.0