|Raúl Castillo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||August 30, 1977|
Raúl Castillo is an American actor who is known for his roles in movies like Amexicano (2007) and We the Animals (2018). He gained prominence with his role as Richie Donado Ventura in the HBO series, Looking. He is also a successful playwright who has written a variety of plays like Border Stories and Between Me, You, and the Lampshade.
Raúl Castillo, Jr.
McAllen, Texas, U.S.
Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan, New York, U.S.
Castillo went to Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School. Then, he attended McAllen High School before enrolling at the Boston University College of Fine Arts (CFA).
- Father – Raúl H. Castillo, Sr.
- Mother – Adela “Adelita” Rodríguez de Castillo
- Siblings – Tony (Older Brother) (Guitarist). Raúl also has a younger sister (Accountant).
Raúl Castillo is represented by PMK*BNC.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Mexican descent.
Sports a mustache
Castillo was raised a Catholic.
But, later he stated that he is “not as religiously involved”.
Best Known For
- Playing a gay character, Richie Donado, in the HBO comedy-drama series, Looking
- Appearing in films like Cold Weather (2010), My Best Day (2012), Bless Me, Ultima (2013), Staring in the Sun (2015), Special Correspondents (2016), Permission (2017), and Unsane (2018)
Raúl made his first theatrical film appearance as Ignacio in the drama film, Amexicano, in 2007.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as Joseph in the medical comedy-drama series, Nurse Jackie, in 2009.
Castillo made his debut TV show appearance as a voice actor in the documentary series, Independent Lens, in 2008.
For his role in HBO series Looking (2014), Raúl had to follow a disciplined fitness regime. Usually, he practices intense workout which includes stationary bike riding and mild jogging. He also likes to mix his exercises and prefers to work out on the entire body. He also includes push-ups, burpees, squats, and pull-ups in his routine.
Raúl Castillo Facts
- Castillo’s parents were Mexican emigrants from Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico who later shifted to McAllen, Texas.
- He developed an interest in acting when he was in the 3rd grade and started acting at the age of 14.
- Castillo used to play music during his younger years.
- Raúl’s older brother inspired him to work hard and perform well in the plays.
- During his 6th grade, Castillo came in contact with guitarist Roy Mitchell-Cárdenas. Later, Mitchell, along with his mates Nick Trevino and Robert Vleck, got together with Castillo to form an underground punk-rock band called Influential Phecal Material.
- Castillo has some experience with bass guitar.
- He has been a member of his high school drama club and has also got the chance to perform in a high school production of I Remember Mama.
- Castillo started working as a playwright for LAByrinth Theater Company and parallel to pursuing his acting career, he has also been working with the theatre company. He is also involved with the Atlantic Theater Company.
- Follow Raúl Castillo on Instagram.
Featured Image by Raúl Castillo / Instagram