|Ravichandran Ashwin Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||September 17, 1986|
Ravichandran Ashwin or R Ashwin is an Indian cricket player who plays international matches. He is an all-rounder (bats as well as bowls) and also plays domestic matches representing Tamil Nadu (his birthplace). He has also played 1st class cricket and has captained his IPL team Kings XI Punjab in 2018. Ashwin won the ICC Cricketer of the Year award in 2016 and thereby, became the third Indian to win such award.
Madras, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Ravichandran Ashwin went to the Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan. He has also studied at St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School.
After completion of his school education, he got enrolled at the SSN College of Engineering. He graduated from the college with a Bachelor’s of Technology in information technology. He has also earned an MBA degree.
- Father – Ravichandran Ashwin (He used to play as a fast bowler in club cricket)
- Mother – Chitra Ashwin
99 (in One Day Internationals)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
75 kg of 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ravichandran Ashwin has dated –
- Prithi Narayanan (2011-Present) – Ashwin got married to Prithi Narayanan in November 2011. They had been friends since their childhood. In July 2015, she gave birth to their first daughter Akhira. Akhira was followed by her younger sister Aadhya in December 2016.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Tamil ancestry.
- Tall height
- Squints slightly
Ravichandran Ashwin has appeared in a TV commercial / done endorsement work for
- Equitas Small Finance Bank
- Aristocrat (popular luggage brand) alongside his national teammate Rohit Sharma
- Manna Health Mix
Best Known For
Being one of the most successful spinners of his generation. He has the ability to bowl different variations of the off-spin including carrom ball and arm ball. Towards the end of 2017, he also started regularly bowling leg spin. In the 2018 IPL, he bowled almost half of his deliveries as a leg-spinner.
First Cricket Match
In June 2010, he made his ODI debut in a match against Sri Lanka in Harare. He managed to grab 2 wickets in the match.
In November 2011, he made his test debut for the Indian team against West Indies at Delhi. He managed to grab 9 wickets in the match with 6 wickets in the second match.
On June 12, 2010, Ashwin made his T20I debut in a match against Zimbabwe at Harare. He took 1 wicket in 4 overs assisting his playing side towards a win.
Ravichandran Ashwin Favorite Things
- Food – Paneer Capsicum
- Cricket Captain – Sourav Ganguly
Source – MSN.com, Inuth
Ravichandran Ashwin Facts
- Ravi Ashwin wanted to be a fast bowler like his father but his mother advised him to take up spin bowling because she wasn’t convinced with his bowling run-up.
- He has played as an opening batsman in the junior age groups. He was even selected as an opener for India Under 17 but was later dropped due to lack of form and replaced by Rohit Sharma.
- He learned how to play carrom ball while bowling in street cricket. Overall, he had to practice for 4 years before he could bowl it with the leather ball.
- After Pravin Amre and Narendra Hirwani, he became the third Indian cricketer to have won the Man of the Match accolade on his test debut.
- He has opened an academy under the name of Gen Next Cricket Academy in Chennai.
- When he completed his 500 runs in his 11th test match, he joined the illustrious company of Ian Botham and Jack Gregory to become the joint-fastest player to reach the all-round double of 500 runs and 50 wickets.
- He holds the distinction of being the first Indian bowler to take 200 wickets in the 37th test match. He failed to take over the international record by just one match as Clarrie Grimmett had reached a similar milestone in his 36th match.
- Ashwin is the first Indian cricketer to have scored a century as well as taken 5 wickets in the test match on two different occasions. He first managed to complete the feat against West Indies in 2011 and repeated it against the same team in November 2013.
- When he won his 6th Man of the Series award in August 2016, he managed to cross Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag to become the first Indian to reach the mark.
- In October 2016, he managed to win his 7th Man of the Series award in a series against New Zealand. He had taken 27 wickets in 3 test matches.
- In 2016, he managed to win his first ICC Cricketer of the Year award. He was also declared ICC Test Cricketer of the Year.
- During India’s 2016-17 home season, he managed to become the first Indian player to take 64 wickets in the season. The previous record-holder was legendary Kapil Dev who has taken 63 wickets.
- After dismissing Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim in February 2017, he became the fastest player to have taken 250 test wickets.
- During an international test match against England in February 2021, he broke the 100-year old record as he dismissed English batsman Rory Burns off the first ball of the innings.
- In February 2021, during the 2nd test match between India and England in Chennai, Ashwin completed 266 home test wickets which made him surpass Harbhajan Singh who had taken 265 home test wickets in his career.
- In February 2022, during IPL 2022 mega auction, Ashwin was purchased by Rajasthan Royals for INR 5 crore.
- In March 2022, Ashwin became the second-highest wicket-taker for India after he had taken more than 434 Test wickets (the record held by Kapil Dev). With this, only Anil Kumble was ahead of Ashwin with 619 wickets.
- In April 2022, during the IPL 2022, he became the first cricketer to be ‘retired out’ in IPL history. After scoring 28 from 23 deliveries against LSG, he left the ground in the 19th over of Rajasthan Royals.
- In June 2022, he was tested positive for COVID-19 and hence, had to miss the flight to England for playing the one-off ‘fifth Test match’.
- On December 25, 2022, Ashwin made a world record by scoring the highest score by a #9 batter in a successful Test run chase. He made 42*(62) against Bangladesh in Mirpur. The previous record was made in 1908 by England’s Sydney Barnes who scored 38* against Australia while successfully chasing the target.
Featured Image by Ravichandran Ashwin / Instagram