|Rebecca Sugar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||July 9, 1987|
Rebecca Sugar is an American animator, director, screenwriter, producer, singer, and songwriter who is best known as the creator of the Cartoon Network animated TV series Steven Universe (2013–2019), which had made her the first female artist to have independently created a TV series for Cartoon Network. From 2010 to 2013, she had worked as a writer, storyboard artist, storyboard revisionist, and songwriter for the fantasy animated television series Adventure Time. For her work on these 2 animated TV series, she had earned a combined 6 Primetime Emmy Award nominations. She has been a vocal advocate for actively increasing the importance and representation of the LGBT community in art, particularly in children’s entertainment.
Rebecca Rea Sugar
Silver Spring, Montgomery County, Maryland, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Rebecca had simultaneously attended the Montgomery Blair High School, a public school in her hometown of Silver Spring; and the visual arts center at the Albert Einstein High School in Kensington, Maryland.
After her high school graduation, she had studied at The School of Visual Arts New York City, an art and design college in Manhattan, New York City.
Animator, Director, Screenwriter, Producer, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Rob Sugar
- Mother – Helen Rea
- Siblings – Steven Sugar (Younger Brother)
- Others – Marvin H. Sugar (Paternal Grandfather), Thelma Sugar (Paternal Grandmother), Theodosia Okoh (Grandmother-in-Law) (Stateswoman, Artist, Teacher, Designer of the National Flag of Ghana, Former Chairperson of the Ghana Hockey Association, Former President of the Ghana Hockey Federation) (d. April 19, 2015), Enoch Kwabena Okoh (Grandfather-in-Law) (Head of Civil Service in Ghana in the 1960s)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rebecca has dated –
- Ian Jones-Quartey (2008-Present) – Rebecca had started dating writer, storyboard artist, animator, and voice actor Ian Jones-Quartey in 2008 after having first met him when they were both students at The School of Visual Arts New York City. They got engaged in 2011 but had confirmed their relationship, via Twitter, only in February 2016. They eventually got married on December 4, 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Slender frame
- Neck-length, frizzy, wavy hair
- Charming smile
Rebecca Sugar Facts
- While studying at the Albert Einstein High School, she was an arts semifinalist in the ‘Presidential Scholar’ competition. During this time, she had also won Montgomery County’s (Maryland) prestigious ‘Ida F. Haimovicz Visual Arts Award’.
- While studying at the Montgomery Blair High School, she used to draw and publish several comics (collectively called ‘The Strip’) for the school’s newspaper known as ‘Silver Chips’.
- Her first graphic novel, titled Pug Davis, was published in 2010. It had featured an astronaut dog and his gay sidekick named Blouse.
- She is bisexual and non-binary (a spectrum of gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine), and uses both she/her and they/them pronouns.
- In 2012, Forbes magazine had included her in its ’30 Under 30 in Entertainment’ list. In 2016, Variety magazine had included her in its list of ‘Hollywood’s New Leaders: The Creatives’, to celebrate upcoming filmmakers in both traditional and digital media.
Featured Image by Rebecca Sugar / Instagram