|Rhys Ifans Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||July 22, 1967|
Rhys Ifans is a Welsh actor known for essaying prominent roles in movies like Notting Hill, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Twin Town. He is an extremely private person and detests the paparazzi culture letting his work speak for him instead. Having said that, he has cultivated somewhat of a party-boy image and has had many public relationships with some of Hollywood’s famous ladies.
Rhys Owain Evans
Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales, United Kingdom
Rhys attended the Ysgol Pentrecelyn Primary School and Ysgol Maes Garmon, a Welsh medium secondary school, in Flintshire. He also studied at the youth acting school Theatr Clwyd in Mold, Flintshire and won a scholarship at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London and graduated in 1997.
- Father – Eirwyn Evans (Primary School Teacher)
- Mother – Beti-Wyn Evans (née Davies) (Nursery School Teacher)
- Siblings – Llŷr Ifans (Younger Brother) (Actor)
Rhys is represented by the California-based Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rhys Ifans has dated –
- Iris Palmer (2007) – Rhys and British model Iris Palmer dated in 2007. However, it was a short-lived romance as they broke up in August 2007.
- Kate Moss (2007) – In 2007, Ifans was also linked with the popular English model Kate Moss.
- Sienna Miller (2007-2008) – Actress Sienna Miller and Rhys Ifans were friends for a long time before turning into lovers. Sienna and Rhys shared her apartment for some time in 2007 and it was at this time that they fell for each other. They dated for some time and got engaged in March 2008. He even sold his bachelor pad in Camden and moved in with her in her Notting Hill apartment. However, Sienna got cold feet before the nuptials and called it quits on their relationship in June 2008. Rhys was allegedly heartbroken after the breakup but she referred to their romance as being ‘never that serious’.
- Kimberly Stewart (2008) – Rhys and Kimberly Stewart, daughter of singer Rod Stewart, had a brief romance in 2008 following his public split from Sienna Miller.
- Anna Friel (2011-2014) – Actress Anna Friel met Rhys Ifans while working on the 2011 TV series Neverland. They dated for about 3 years and looked like a happy couple, making appearances at many events hand-in-hand. However, their romance soon fizzled out and they went their separate ways in 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall and lanky frame
- A swallow tattoo on his wrist
Rhys has endorsed the following brands –
- Shelter Cymru
- Mountain Dew
Best Known For
- Playing memorable characters like Spike in Notting Hill (1999), Jeremy Lewis in Twin Town (1997), and Eyeball Paul in Kevin & Perry Go Large (2000)
- His musical contributions to rock groups Super Furry Animals and Y Peth
As a member of the band Y Peth, he released his debut album titled The Golden Mile in 2008.
In 1996, he made his theatrical film debut as Griffiths in the romantic film August, starring and directed by Sir Anthony Hopkins.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as Dave in the Star Attraction episode of the comedy series Spatz in 1991.
His workout routine and diet plan are unknown.
Rhys Ifans Favorite Things
- Restaurant – Barrafina in Spain
- Photographer – Edward Curtis
- Album – The Bunkhouse Vol I: Anchor Black Tattoo by Fionn Regan
- Book – Hope: A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander
- Film – Come and See (1985)
Source – Guardian
Rhys Ifans Facts
- Rhys’ family name is Evans but he changed it as a teenager to Ifans (like the Welsh pronunciation for Evans) to make it sound more difficult.
- He was a part of the Welsh psychedelic rock band Super Furry Animals, as their lead singer during their initial days, but he quit the band before they achieved fame.
- Rhys has admitted to being a self-obsessed fan of the Spider-Man comics. Luckily, he got to be a part of the 2012 reboot The Amazing Spider-Man where he played the film’s antagonist The Lizard.
- In 2008, he formed the psychedelic rock band Y Peth along with former Super Furry Animals band member Dafydd Leuan. The band released their debut album The Golden Mile in September 2008 and performed a series of live shows.
- He achieved his breakthrough role in the 1997 British hit, Twin Town, where he acted alongside his younger brother Llŷr Ifans.
- Rhys appeared in the music video of the single The Importance of Being Idle (2005) by the rock band Oasis. He also accepted the award for Video of the Year on behalf of the band at the 2006 NME Awards for that particular video.
- Over the course of his career, he has landed himself in many controversies due to his comments and statements. In 2002, he lent his support to the Welsh nationalist group Meibion Glyndŵr, which is a militant group responsible for burning down empty second homes in Wales in the 1980s.
- In 2008, he landed himself in hot water again after making light of the date rape scenario. The same year, he was caught making a poor joke about pedophilia at a concert aimed to raise funds to tackle issues like prostitution and child slavery.
- Rhys became the patron of the Welsh-language Wikipedia in September 2012 along with the Archbishop of Wales The Most Reverend Barry Morgan.
- He was arrested on the charges of misdemeanor battery by the San Diego police during the 2011 Comic-Con. He had allegedly pushed a guard before going to speak on a guest panel. The charges were dropped in August 2011 due to lack of evidence.
- He received an honorary degree from Swansea University in 2015 and was awarded the DLitt during the annual graduation ceremony for the university’s College of Arts and Humanities.
- Rhys Ifans is not present on social media.
Featured Image by Mikhail Popov / thebestphotos.ru / CC BY-SA 3.0