|Robert Carlyle Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||April 14, 1961|
Robert Carlyle is a Scottish actor renowned for his roles in Carla’s Song, Trainspotting series, The Full Monty, The World Is Not Enough, Angela’s Ashes Summer, The Legend of Barney Thomson, Cracker, Hamish Macbeth, Hitler: The Rise of Evil, The Unloved, Stargate Universe, and Once Upon a Time. He has also won numerous awards including the Evening Standard British Film Award, London Critics Circle Film Award, BAFTA Award, and Screen Actors Guild Award.
Maryhill, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Robert Carlyle studied at a regular school until the age of 16. However, for his college education, he attended night classes at Cardonald College, Glasgow in the UK, as he helped his father, as a painter and decorator, during the day. Later, he joined the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (RSAMD).
- Father – Joseph Carlyle (Painter, Decorator)
- Mother – Elizabeth Carlyle (Bus Company Employee)
- Others – Paul Shirley (Brother-in-Law)
Robert Carlyle is managed by –
- Hamilton Hodell, Talent Agency, London, United Kingdom
- Authentic Talent and Literary Management, Talent Management Company, Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Robert Carlyle has dated –
- Anastasia Shirley (1996-Present) – In 1996, Robert started dating make-up artist Anastasia Shirley. The couple had previously met on the set of the ITV series, Cracker, in 1994. After dating for over a year, Robert tied the knot with Anastasia in December 1997. The reception was held at the luxurious Skibo Castle, near Dornoch, in Sutherland. They are blessed with 3 children – Ava Carlyle (born 2002), Harvey Carlyle (born 2004), and Pearce Joseph Carlyle (born 2006).
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish ancestry.
Salt and Pepper
- Center-parting hair
- Pointed nose
Robert Carlyle has been featured in commercials for brands like –
- Johnnie Walker
- Jerwood Film Prize cinema commercial (1998)
Best Known For
- His versatile roles in films like Go Now (1995), Carla’s Song (1996), Trainspotting and T2 Trainspotting (1996 & 2017 respectively), The Full Monty (1997), The World Is Not Enough (1999), Angela’s Ashes (1999), Summer (2008), and The Legend of Barney Thomson (2015)
- Portraying remarkable characters in TV series including Cracker (1994), Hamish Macbeth (1995–1998), Looking After Jo Jo (1998), Hitler: The Rise of Evil (2003), Human Trafficking (2005), The Unloved (2009), Stargate Universe (2009–2011), and Once Upon a Time (2011–2018)
- Winning numerous awards including Evening Standard British Film Award, London Critics Circle Film Award, BAFTA Award, Sant Jordi Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, BAFTA Scotland Award, RTS Television Award, and Gemini Award
In 1990, he made his theatrical film debut in the biographical crime drama film Silent Scream as Big Woodsy.
First TV Show
In 1990, he made his first TV show appearance in the mystery crime drama series Taggart as Gordon Inglis.
Robert Carlyle does not enjoy working out in the gym or lifting weights and turning muscular. The only workout that he enjoys is yoga.
Robert Carlyle Facts
- His mother left them when he was 4 years old and he has not seen his mother since then. Therefore, he was raised, singlehandedly, by his father.
- One of his earliest jobs was working as a butcher.
- At 21, he joined the drama group at the Glasgow Arts Center.
- Robert is a huge football fan and supports Glasgow’s local club, Rangers F.C.
- He supports charity organizations like the School For Life Romania.
- In 2002, he appeared in the music video of Oasis’ Little By Little.
- He has been featured in several magazines like Radio Times (January 17, 1998, & October 1, 2005), The Times Magazine (January 17, 1998), Edinburgh Evening News (July 8, 2008), Scotland on Sunday (February 6, 2005 & February 27, 2005), The Independent Review (March 10, 2004), and Movie (Australia) (April 1999).
- In 1991, Robert and his friend, Tom Waits, formed the Raindog theater company.
- He is also one of the partners of 4 Ways film production company along with Antonia Bird, Irvine Welsh, and Mark Cousins.
- Robert was ranked the 7th greatest British actor of 2001 by a survey conducted by Orange Film.
- In 1999, the New Years Honors List awarded him with the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) rank for his contribution to drama.
- His greatest fear is the thought of losing his family.
- The one trait that he deplores in himself is his laziness.
- The trait he deplores most in others is stupidity.
- One of his most treasured possessions is the jersey of Brazil with Pele’s autograph on it.
- A person whom he would like to see playing his character in films would be his son, Pearce.
- His fancy-dress costume of choice is a pirate costume.
- If he had a superpower, it would be the ability to detect lies.
- His guilty pleasure is having chocolate in bed.
- If he could go back in time, he would go back to the 60s.
- For him, love feels like a safe zone with no stress or fear.
- He would invite Tony Benn and Paul Weller to his dream dinner party.
- If he could edit his past, he would definitely stress more on concentrating on school and attending a university rather than joining a drama school.
- He relaxes by watching football and listening to music.
- He would like the world to remember him as an honest man.
- The most important lesson that life has taught him is to stand up tall and aim for what you want.
Featured Image by Robert Carlyle Fan Page / Instagram