|Ronnie James Dio Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 10, 1942|
Ronnie James Dio was an American heavy metal singer, songwriter, and composer who is regarded as one of the greatest and most influential heavy metal artists of all time. Throughout his career, he was involved with several bands like Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio, and Heaven & Hell and also gained popularity with his “Metal Horns” hand gesture in metal culture.
Ronald James Padavona
Ronnie James Dio
He was born on July 10, 1942.
On May 16, 2010, Ronnie James Dio passed away at the age of 67 due to complications from stomach cancer in Houston, Texas, United States.
Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Hollywood Hills, California, United States
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States
Dio attended Cortland High School, from where he graduated in 1960. Then, he got enrolled at the University at Buffalo to major in pharmacology. However, he attended the university only between 1960 and 1961 and did not graduate. He also attended Cortland State College for a short time before dropping out.
In the year 2000, Dio stated in an interview that he majored in history and minored in English. Also, it was alleged that he was previously offered a scholarship to the prestigious Juilliard School of Music but did not take up the offer due to his interest in rock music.
Singer, Songwriter, Composer
- Father – Pasquale “Patrick”/”Pat” A./M. Padavona (Served in the U.S. Army during World War II)
- Mother – Anna E. (Gulini)
- Others – Antonio Padavona (Paternal Grandfather), Erminia/Ernine (Paternal Grandmother), Paul M. Gulini (Maternal Grandfather), Rena O. Burdick (Maternal Grandmother)
He was managed by his wife Wendy Gaxiola.
Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Blues Rock
Trumpet, Vocals, Bass Guitar
Atlantic, Decca, Derby, Eagle, Epic, I.R.S., Jive, Kapp, Lawn, Line, MCA, MGM, Parkway, Polydor, Purple, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Safari, Sanctuary, Spitfire, Stateside, Vertigo, Warner Bros.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ronnie James Dio had dated –
- Loretta Berardi – In 1963, he married his first wife Loretta Berardi and they adopted a son named Dan Padavona, a novelist. However, Dio and Loretta eventually got divorced.
- Wendy Gaxiola (1974-1985) – After going out for a while, he married Wendy Gaxiola in 1978. They divorced in 1985 but later reconciled and entered an unofficial marriage.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Italian and English descent.
- Long curly hair
- Popularized the “horns” hand gesture as a symbol of heavy metal music
- Short stature
- Powerful tenor singing voice and deep resonant speaking voice
In the 1980s, he was involved in the PSA TV spot for RAD (Rock Against Drugs).
Ronnie James Dio Facts
- Growing up, he used to spend much of his time listening to opera.
- He was 5 years old when he started learning to play the trumpet. This marked his first formal musical training.
- During his high school years, he formed The Vegas Kings, his first rock-n-roll group. It was later named Ronnie and the Rumblers and then Ronnie and the Red Caps.
- On August 29, 2009, Ronnie James Dio performed for the last time with Heaven & Hell in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- He got the name “Dio” from gangster Johnny Dio.
- A street, Dio Way, has been named after him in Cortland, New York.
- Tenor Mario Lanza served as his vocal influence.
- Dio was a huge sports fan and once even stated that he wanted to become a basketball player.
- He was inducted into the Hall of Heavy Metal History on January 18, 2017.
Featured Image by Photobra|Adam Bielawski / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0