|Rory McCann Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||April 24, 1969|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rory McCann is a Scottish actor who is best known for his character ‘Sandor “The Hound” Clegane’ in the fantasy adventure drama series, Game of Thrones. He has also appeared in a variety of other roles in a number of TV shows and movies like Young Adam, Beowulf & Grendel, Solomon Kane, The Crew, London’s Burning, State of Play, Rockface, and Peter in Paradise. McCann is somewhat of a private person who likes to stay away from the shackles of modern society as much as possible and spends most of his time sailing on his boat.
Rory Philip McCann
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Rory McCann went to Scottish School of Forestry near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands. His skills as an actor were developed in 1998 under the training by writer-artist Robert Parsifal Finch in The Actor’s Workshop in Glasgow.
- Siblings – Sally-Gay McCann (Younger Sister) (Born 1972) (Works on Costumes for Movies & TV Shows)
Rory McCann is represented by Emptage Hallett, Talent and Literary Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Towering stature
- Deep voice
- Receding hairline
Rory McCann has appeared in a TV commercial for Scotts’ Porridge Oats.
Best Known For
- Having been cast as Sandor “The Hound” Clegane in the fantasy fiction drama series, Game of Thrones
- Appearing in various other TV shows like Randall & Hopkirk (2000) as Bouncer, Monarch of the Glen (2000) as Roger, The Book Group (2002-2003) as Kenny McLeod, State of Play (2003) as Stuart Brown, Rockface (2003) as Adam, Shameless (2006) as Father Critchon, Heroes and Villains (2008) as Attila the Hun, The Jury (2011) as Derek Hatch, and Banished (2015) as Marston
- Playing a variety of roles in movies like Alexander (2004) as Craterus, Beowulf & Grendel (2005) as Breca, Hot Fuzz (2007) as Michael “Lurch” Armstrong, Clash of the Titans (2010) as Belo, Slow West (2015) as John Ross, and XXX: Return of Xander Cage (2017) as Tennyson “The Torch”
He made his theatrical film debut as Gordon in the drama movie, Ratcatcher, in 1999. However, his role went uncredited.
He made his feature film debut as Goon in the comedy movie, Pasty Faces, in 2000.
He made his first credited theatrical film appearance as Eric in the horror thriller drama film, The Devil’s Tattoo, in 2003.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as a bouncer in an episode of the comedy crime fantasy series, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), in 2000.
Rory McCann Facts
- Before becoming an actor, Rory did a lot of varied jobs that included working as a carpenter, landscape gardener, pub bouncer, lumberjack, tree surgeon, and painter.
- He has also worked as a painter on the Forth Bridge in Scotland.
- He was fired from his first acting job, working as an extra on the film Willow (1988), as he couldn’t control his laughter during the takes.
- He had a major near-death accident in 1990 while rock-climbing in Yorkshire and fractured several of his bones.
- He won the Scottish BAFTA for the best television performance of 2002 for his role in the television comedy-drama, The Book Group.
- He supports the Scottish Green Party.
- Rory also served as the frontman of a former band named Thundersoup.
- He can play piano, guitar, banjo, and mandolin.
- Rory McCannon is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0