|Josh Brolin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10½ in|
|Date of Birth||February 12, 1968|
Josh Brolin is an American actor, stage artist, director, writer, and producer who has been cast in various movies including Milk, American Gangster, No Country for Old Men, Hollow Man, The Goonies, Coastlines, Men in Black 3, W., Inherent Vice, Avengers: Infinity War, Mimic, Deadpool 2, True Grit, Avengers: Endgame, Sicario, Gangster Squad, To Each His Own Cinema, Dune, Oldboy, Grindhouse, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Everest, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Melinda and Melinda, My Brother’s War, Best Laid Plans, Bed of Roses, and Hail, Caesar!. He is also known for his television roles like playing James Butler Hickok in the Western series The Young Riders, Royal Abbott in the sci-fi neo-Western series Outer Range, Johnny Betz in the NBC crime drama series Private Eye, Senator Bill Sterling in the serial drama series Mister Sterling, and Jack Passion in the drama series Winnetka Road. Brolin has also been a recipient of several accolades like a Critics’ Choice Movie Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a nomination for an Academy Award.
Josh James Brolin
Santa Monica, California, United States
Paso Robles, California, United States
Josh Brolin studied at Templeton Elementary and Templeton Middle School. He attended high school in Santa Barbara at the age of 11 or 12.
While in high school, he took up an improv acting class which ultimately led to his interest in acting.
Actor, Writer, Director, Producer, Stage Artist
- Father – James Brolin (Actor, producer, and director)
- Mother – Jane Cameron Agee (Was a budding actor and wildlife activist)
- Siblings – Jess Brolin (Younger Sister), Molly Brolin (Younger Half-Sister), Jason Gould (Older Stepbrother)
- Others – Barbara Streisand (Stepmother), Henry Hurst Bruderlin (Paternal Grandfather), Helen Sue Mansur (Paternal Grandmother), John Wesley Agee (Maternal Grandfather), Shirley Margaret Fugate (Maternal Grandmother)
Josh Brolin has been managed by –
- ID Public Relations in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Brolin Productions, Production Company, Santa Monica, California, United States
His net worth has been $45 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Josh Brolin has dated –
- Alice Adair (1988–1994) – Brolin married actor Alice Adair in 1988 and soon, the couple became parents to a son named Trevor Mansur (b. June 1988) who is an actor and producer. They also have a daughter named Eden Brolin (b. 1994) who is an actor. They were married for 6 years before getting divorced in 1994. However, Brolin maintains that the estranged couple is on friendly terms.
- Minnie Driver (1998-2001) – Josh and Minnie Driver met on the sets of the film Slow Blow in 1998 and fell for each other right away. Minnie is a talented and versatile English actor and singer-songwriter. The couple got engaged in 2001 after dating for nearly 3 years. They were engaged for 6 months before calling it quits.
- Diane Lane (2001–2013) – Brolin and Lane had crossed paths as teenagers when they were starting their careers but got reacquainted during a chance encounter at the premiere party of A Beautiful Mind in 2001. They dated for a year and a half before tying the knot in August 2004. In December 2004, Brolin was arrested on the account of spousal battery but Lane did not press charges on him. They were married for 9 years before heading for divorce in November 2013.
- Kathryn Boyd (2015–Present) – Josh got engaged to his former assistant and model Kathryn Boyd, who is almost 19 years younger than him, in March 2015. They eventually got married in September 2016. They are still smitten with each other and are a couple to watch out for in grand celebrity gatherings. The couple has 2 daughters named Westlyn Reign Brolin (b. November 4, 2018) and Chapel Grace Brolin (b. December 25, 2020).
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, Josh has German-Swiss, English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry.
Salt and pepper due to his advancing age.
- Muscular body
- Strong squared jawline
Josh has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Mercedes-Benz (2008)
- Volvo S90 (2016) (voice-over)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 ‘Travel Guide: Netflix’ (2017) (voice-over)
During his time of desperation, he received spiritual counseling in the practices of Scientology but soon realized that it was not for him.
Best Known For
- His role as Dan White in the biographical film Milk (2008), which is based on the life of gay rights activist and politician Harvey Milk. Josh was nominated for a SAG Award and an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the movie.
- Starring as Agent K in Men in Black 3 (2012), a sci-fi action comedy film also starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.
- His stellar performance as Llewelyn Moss, a welder, and a Vietnam veteran, in the 2007 neo-Western thriller movie, No Country for Old Men, which is based on the novel written by Cormac McCarthy.
In 1985, Josh made his theatrical film debut as Brandon “Brand” Walsh in the adventure comedy film The Goonies.
First TV Show
In 1986, Josh made his first TV show appearance in the ‘Finish Line‘ episode of Highway to Heaven as Josh Bryant.
To prepare for his role of Cable in Deadpool 2, Brolin had to severely bulk up to fit into the superhero universe. He shared his physical transformation online through a series of videos on Instagram.
For his super-jacked look, he spent hours training at the Golds Gym in California. He relied on a bodybuilding technique known as ‘drop sets’ wherein he started with a higher weight and gradually dropped the weight to push for more reps. He applied this technique to his workouts including shoulder, chest, rack pulls, etc. for faster muscle gain.
Josh supplemented his newfound muscular body with a clean diet. He gave up on sugar, bread, pasta, and drugs to keep his body on track. Instead, he relied on fish, rice, eggs, and veggies to meet his daily dietary requirements.
Josh Brolin Favorite Things
- TV Show – Apprentice
- Superhero – Thor
- Supervillain – Hulk
- Game of Thrones Character – Tyrion Lannister
- Books – “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” by James Joyce, “Awareness” by Anthony DeMello, “100 Years of Solitude” by Gabriel García Márquez, and “Shantaram” by Gregory David Roberts
- Dinosaur – Tyrannosaurus Rex
- Past Time – Raising his kids and surfing
- Food – Banoffee pie
- Ice Cream Flavor – Chunky monkey
- Music Band – Pearl Jam
- Film Location – New Mexico and the Bahamas
Josh Brolin Facts
- As a teenager, Josh was a member of a surfing group called the “Cito Rats” in Santa Barbara.
- In his teenage years, he had stolen cars to pay for drugs, especially heroin. Fortunately, he never got hooked on these drugs. But, he lost several friends to drug addiction.
- His hobbies include racing and surfing.
- Josh Brolin has written numerous poems and stories based on his mother Jane who died in a car accident in 1995.
- Josh is an art enthusiast and collects art belonging to Malcolm Liepke and Ernst Niezvestny.
- His parents named him after the character Josh Randall from the series Wanted: Dead or Alive (1958).
- In 2000, Brolin won the 24th Annual Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race held in Long Beach, California.
- If Josh was not an actor, he would have been a lawyer. He also aspired to be a chef once.
- He co-founded Marketprobability.com, a now-defunct website that gave investors historical stock overviews.
- He is a huge fan of John Cassavetes.
- Josh has played the villain Thanos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- In 2010, Josh made his directorial debut with the short film X which was shown at the annual Union City International Film Festival in New Jersey.
- Alongside Joaquin Phoenix, Owen Wilson, Katherine Waterston, Reese Witherspoon, Benicio del Toro, Martin Short, Jena Malone, and Joanna Newsom, he co-starred as Lieutenant Christian F. “Bigfoot” Bjornsen in the 2014 period neo-noir mystery crime film Inherent Vice.
- Josh has had a run-in with the law several times having been arrested for altercations, public intoxication, and domestic violence.
- He has said that working with Woody Allen was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.
- Josh has admitted that being fearful of a project attracts his interest in it even more.
- In 2020, Josh sold a half-acre equestrian in Los Angeles for $6.55 million (he had paid $6.2 million for the same 6 months earlier). He then bought a property in the leafy suburbs north of downtown Atlanta for $3.55 million.
- In November 2021, Josh celebrated 8 years of sobriety.
- In 2022, he started appearing as Royal Abbott (Cecilia Abbott’s husband and father of Rhett and Perry) in the science fiction neo-Western streaming television series Outer Range. His co-stars for the show included Lili Taylor, Tamara Podemski, Tom Pelphrey, Imogen Poots, Lewis Pullman, Noah Reid, Shaun Sipos, Isabel Arraiza, and Olive Abercrombie.
Featured Image by www.GlynLowe.com / Flickr / CC BY 2.0