|Benicio del Toro Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 19, 1967|
Benicio del Toro is a talented Puerto Rican-Spanish actor and film producer. He has received numerous recognitions including Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Golden Globe Award, and Screen Actors Guild Award. In 2001, he won the Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor” for his role in Traffic (2000). His other notable films include 21 Grams, The Usual Suspects, Basquiat, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Snatch, Sin City, Che, Sicario, Escobar: Paradise Lost, The Wolfman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers: Infinity War.
Benicio Monserrate Rafael del Toro Sánchez
Beno, Skinny Benny
San Germán, Puerto Rico
Los Angeles, California, United States
Puerto Rican, Spanish
Benicio del Toro studied at the Academia del Perpetuo Socorro (The Academy of Our Lady of Perpetual Help) in Miramar, Puerto Rico. Later, he joined the Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania.
After that, he enrolled at the University of California, San Diego to study business. However, as he progressed in his elective drama course, he dropped out of college and took up acting at the Stella Adler Conservatory of Acting in Los Angeles, and also joined the Circle in the Square Theatre School in New York City.
Actor, Film Producer
- Father – Gustavo Adolfo del Toro Bermúdez (Lawyer)
- Mother – Fausta Genoveva Sánchez Rivera (Lawyer)
- Siblings – Gustavo del Toro (Older Brother) (Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer of Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York)
- Others – Joshue Del Toro (Cousin), Rebeca Pous Del Toro (Cousin) (Singer), Benicio del Carmen Sanchez Castaño (Maternal Grandfather), Lirio/Licio/Licia/Lucia Belén Rivera Bengoa (Maternal Grandmother), Monserrate de los Reyes del Toro Irizarry (Paternal Grandfather), Carmen Luisa Bermúdez Villa (Paternal Grandmother)
Benicio del Toro is managed by –
- Rick Yorn, Manager, LBI Entertainment, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Creative Artists Agency
- Hansen Jacobson
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Benicio Del Toro has dated –
- Valeria Golino – Benicio was in a relationship with Italian actress Valeria Golino. The couple got engaged in 1988. However, they called off their engagement in 1992.
- Claire Forlani (1995) – In June 1995, Benicio is said to have hooked up with British actress Claire Forlani. They have appeared in many films together.
- Alicia Silverstone (1996-1997) – In 1996, Benicio started dating actress Alicia Silverstone. The couple was paired together in Excess Baggage (1997). They separated in 1997.
- Chiara Mastroianni (1998-2001) – In 1998, Benicio began dating French actress Chiara Mastroianni. After dating for almost 3 years, they separated in 2001.
- Heather Graham (2001) – In 2001, Benicio briefly dated actress Heather Graham.
- Sophie Dahl (2002) – In September 2002, Benicio is said to have hooked up with British model Sophie Dahl.
- Scarlett Johansson (2004) – In 2004, Benicio had an encounter with actress Scarlett Johansson.
- Sara Foster (2004-2006) – In 2004, Benicio started a relationship with actress Sara Foster. Their relationship lasted only for 2 years before splitting in 2006.
- Lindsay Lohan (2006) – In February 2006, Benicio had an encounter with actress Lindsay Lohan.
- Catherine Keener (2008-2009) – In August 2008, Benicio began a relationship with actress Catherine Keener. They ended their relationship the following year.
- Kimberly Stewart (2010) – In November 2010, Benicio and actress Kimberly Stewart had an encounter. Kimberly is the daughter of singer-songwriter Rod Stewart. Their brief encounter led to the birth of their daughter Delilah Genoveva Stewart del Toro (b. August 21, 2011). Their daughter was baptized in Puerto Rico.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Hispanic)
He has Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Italian, and Indigenous American ancestry.
- Dark circles around the eyes
- Tall height
Benicio del Toro has done endorsement work for brands like –
- Hennes & Mauritz
- Calvin Klein Perfume Obsession
- Magnum Ice Cream
He was born a Roman Catholic.
Best Known For
His numerous commendable performances in films including Traffic (2000) as Javier Rodriguez, 21 Grams (2003) as Jack Jordan, Che (2008) as Che Guevara, The Usual Suspects (1995) as Fred Fenster, Basquiat (1996) as Benny Dalmau, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) as Dr. Gonzo, and Sicario (2015) as Alejandro Gillick
In 1988, he made his theatrical film debut in the adventure romantic comedy film Big Top Pee-wee as Duke, the Dog-Faced Boy.
In 2015, he made his theatrical film debut as a voice actor in the animated adventure film The Little Prince as The Snake.
First TV Show
In 1987, he made his first TV show appearance on the comedy-drama series Shell Game as Pedroza.
Benicio del Toro Favorite Things
- Junk Food – Pizza
- Films – The 400 Blows (1959), Lucia (1968), The Harder They Come (1972), Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954), The Last Detail (1973)
- Food – Fried pork chops, Fried green plantains, and Rice
- Musicians – Van Morrison, U2, Mike Scott of the Waterboys
- Writers – George Bernard Shaw, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Bram Stoker
- Fictional Villain – Dracula
Source – DolceMag.com, YouTube.com, Foodpinion.wordpress.com, IrishCentral.com, GQ.com
Benicio del Toro Facts
- His last name “Del Toro” stands for “of the bull” in Spanish.
- At the age of 9, he lost his mother due to hepatitis.
- While in school, he was good at art and was a great basketball player.
- He enjoys drawing and is in love with oil painting.
- At the age of 13, he was shifted to Mercersburg, Pennsylvania so he could attend a private boarding school called the Mercersburg Academy.
- Benicio learned acting under Stella Adler and Arthur Mendoza at the Stella Adler Conservatory of Acting on a scholarship.
- His family wanted him to become a lawyer as they felt that acting has no future.
- He had to burn himself numerous times with cigarettes for a scene in the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), which, however, was deleted in the final production.
- He turned down the role of Diego Rivera in Frida (2002) because the character required him to gain weight again, which he had already done for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) by putting on 40 pounds.
- Benicio met with a terrible wrist injury during a stunt fighting scene for the film The Hunted (2003) which required 3 hours therapy daily, raising doubt to the full recovery of his wrist.
- He is the 3rd Puerto Rican actor to receive an Academy Award after Rita Moreno for West Side Story (1961) and José Ferrer for Cyrano de Bergerac (1950).
- His character’s last name in Basquiat (1996) “Dalmau” was inspired from a Puerto Rican basketball player Raymond Dalmau, who played in the 1970s and early 1980s.
- At the age of 21, he became the youngest person to play a villain in a James Bond film, Licence to Kill (1989).
- He has appeared in Madonna‘s music video La Isla Bonita (1987).
- He is good friends with Johnny Depp who was his co-star in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998).
- His father turned his property across the street into a full-size basketball court so Benicio and his brother could practice and play basketball with their friends.
- Singer Macy Gray is his huge fan.
- Like Elizabeth Hurley, Lily Allen, Pierce Brosnan, Hugh Grant, Hugh Laurie, Daniel Radcliffe, Andrew Johnston, and the late Michael Jackson, Benicio is a huge supporter of the Fulham Football Club of the English Premier League soccer club.
- In March 2012, the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico presented him with an honorary degree for his contribution to the cinema during the University’s centennial celebration.
- He has also worked with many Oscar-winning directors such as Steven Soderbergh, William Friedkin, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, and Oliver Stone.
- He has worked with actor Josh Brolin in many films including Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Inherent Vice (2014), Sicario (2015), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018).
- Several years back, Miramax Films‘ executive at that time, Meryl Poster stated that Benicio and Josh Brolin were the worst auditioners that she had ever come across.
- As a kid, he was most scared of his teachers, darkness, and being alone.
- The villain that frightened him the most was Robert Mitchum in the original Cape Fear (1991).
- He once stated that he was 47.6998 percent evil in real life, which however fluctuates from time to time.
- He has worked as an executive producer in films like Viva (2015), Escobar: Paradise Lost (2014), and Lovesickness (2007), and as a producer in The Wolfman (2010) and Che (2008).
- Benicio worked as the spokesman for the educational campaign Yo Limpio a Puerto Rico in 2003.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by GabboT / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0
Benicio Del Toro is 22 cm taller than Kevin Pollak. My guess for Benicio Del Toro’s height would be 190 cm or 6’2.85″. I can also say that Fred Fenster was 190 cm tall.
I could not find 6’2.85″ for the optional guesses for his height so i went for 6’2″ for Ben i c i o Del To r o’s height.
Here is my guess for Ben i c i o Del To r o’s height
Barefoot/without shoes: 186 cm
With shoes: 190 cm
Also my Uncle Albert told me that shoes usually increase the height of each person by 4 to 6 cm[2 inches].