|Rukmini Vijayakumar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Year of Birth||1982|
Rukmini Vijayakumar is an Indian choreographer and actress who has been involved in numerous dance productions that have been staged around the world such as Megham (2009), Shankarabharanam (2010), Raadha Rani (2011), Krishnaa (2012), Nayani (2013), Prabhavati (2014), Yama (2015), Turiya (2016), The Dark Lord (2017), and Unrequited (2018). In November 2009, she established the Raadha Kalpa dance company and has served as its artistic director ever since. She is also the founder of The Raadha Kalpa Method, a pedagogical system of training for classical Indian dances, particularly Bharatanatyam (one of the eight widely recognized Indian classical dance forms that originated in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu). Besides that, Rukmini has acted in multiple Indian films such as Ananda Thandavam (2009), Bhajarangi (2013), Kochadaiyaan (2014), Final Cut of Director (2016), Kaatru Veliyidai (2017), and Sita Ramam (2022).
Rukmini Vijayakumar was born in the year 1982.
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Rukmini had attended The East West School in Bengaluru. In 2004, she joined the Boston Conservatory at Berklee, a private performing arts conservatory in Boston, Massachusetts. She graduated from there in 2008 with a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) degree in ballet and modern dance.
She also studied acting at the Los Angeles branch of the New York Film Academy, a private for-profit film and acting school based in New York City, Los Angeles, and Miami.
Besides that, she attended courses on biomechanics and nutrition at The University of California, Los Angeles, a public land-grant research university in Los Angeles; as well as exercise physiology and gross human anatomy at Boston University, a private research university in Boston, Massachusetts.
Siblings – Shriram Vijayakumar (Brother)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rukmini has dated –
- Rohan Menon
Race / Ethnicity
- Slender frame
- Long, dense, frizzy hair
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
Rukmini Vijayakumar Facts
- A devoted practitioner of Bharatanatyam, Rukmini studied the dance form under multiple gurus and practiced the Karanas (the 108 key transitions in classical Indian dance that have been described in a chapter called Tandava Lakshana of the Natya Shastra, a Sanskrit-language treatise on the performing arts) for several years.
- She has been a recipient of the prestigious ‘Jiří Kylián Grant for Choreography’, awarded by The Kylián Foundation, an organization that was formed in honor of the renowned Czech former dancer and contemporary dance choreographer Jiří Kylián. The foundation sporadically funds projects by individual artists not just in the field of dance but also in other forms of art.
- For her portrayal of the character of Krishne in the 2013 Indian Kannada-language fantasy action film titled Bhajarangi, her debut Kannada film, she won a Filmfare Award in the category of ‘Best Supporting Actress – Kannada’.
- In January 2014, she was appointed the director of performing arts at Kala Rasa, a Bengaluru-based art studio that provides a vibrant creative space for sculptors, curators, dancers, and budding artists in multiple fields.
- A polyglot, she is fluent in English, Tamil, and Kannada. She can also read and speak a bit of Sanskrit, a classical language belonging to the Indo-Aryan branch of the Indo-European languages.
Featured Image by Rukmini Vijayakumar / Instagram