|Rula Jebreal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 24, 1973|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rula Jebreal is a talented Palestinian foreign policy analyst, journalist, novelist, and screenwriter of Israeli origin. She has received many accolades for her work including Media Watch award for her coverage of the Iraq war and the International Ischia Award in the “Best Journalist of the Year” category. Rula has interviewed prominent figures like Prime Minister Massimo D’Alema, Silvio Berlusconi, Bill Gates, President Mahmoud Abbas, Al Berdei, and Ingrid Betancourt, while frequently appearing on CNN and Bloomberg. Her first novel Miral was successfully made into a film. She has an MA degree in Journalism and Political Science from the University of Bologna.
New York City, New York, United States
Rula Jebreal won a scholarship to study medicine at the University of Bologna from the Italian government in 1993, and she graduated a few years later with a degree in physiotherapy.
After working as a Physiotherapist for some time, she again joined the University of Bologna and obtained her masters in Journalism and Political Science.
Palestinian Foreign Policy Analyst, Journalist, Novelist, Screenwriter
- Father – Sufi imam Othman Jebreal (An Imam and Groundskeeper at the Al-Aqsa Mosque)
- Mother – Zakia Jebreal
- Siblings – Rania Jebreal (Sister)
Rula Jebreal self manages her work.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rula Jebreal has dated –
- Davide Rivalta – Rula was in a relationship with artist Davide Rivalta for a while. They have a daughter together named Miral Rivalta.
- Julian Schnabel (2007-2011) – In 2007, Rula began dating painter and filmmaker Julian Schnabel. The same year, they first met at Julian’s paintings exhibition at the Palazzo Venezia in Rome. Julian asked to read one of Rula’s books, and she gave him her first novel Miral. Julian was so inspired by the story that he decided to turn it into a film. The film was made at the cost of Julian’s marriage, as Rula and Julian developed a romantic relationship. Rula moved to New York to live with Julian. The couple separated in 2011.
- Arthur Altschul, Jr. – Rula started dating member of the Lehman family and Co-founder of Koltan Pharmaceuticals, Arthur Altschul, Jr. The couple tied the knot in 2013. They divorced in 2016 after Arthur found out about Rula’s affair with Roger Waters.
- Roger Waters (2016) – In 2016, Rula briefly dated English musician and Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters. The couple was introduced to each other 5 years earlier by Roger’s former wife Laurie Durning, who was friends with Rula’s then-husband Arthur Altschul, Jr. After Roger’s divorce with his wife Laurie, Rula and Rogers started seeing each other. Arthur and Rula soon divorced. Sadly, Rula’s relationship with Rogers too did not last long.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Arab and Black)
She has Palestinian Arab and some Nigerian ancestry.
- Thin and lean figure
- High cheekbones
She follows the practices of “secular Muslim”.
Best Known For
- Her first novel Miral which was turned into a film and received positive review after its premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 2, 2010
- Her journalistic skills working in Italy for 12 years taking interviews of many prominent figures including Prime Minister Massimo D’Alema, Silvio Berlusconi, Bill Gates, President Mahmoud Abbas, Bernard Kushner, Al Berdei, and Ingrid Betancourt
First TV Show
In 2006, she made her first TV show appearance as ‘Herself’ on the news talk show AnnoZero.
Rula Jebreal Favorite Things
- Author – Umberto Eco
Source – Twitter
Rula Jebreal Facts
- She grew up in Jerusalem.
- Rula was only 5 years old when her mother, who never recovered from childhood abuse, committed suicide by walking into the sea.
- She has dual citizenship of Israel and Italy.
- In 1978, her father submitted her and her sister to the care of Hind Husseini in the Dar El-Tifel orphanage.
- She can speak Arabic, Hebrew, English, and Italian fluently.
- The protagonist for her first novel Miral was named after her daughter Miral.
- She is considered as one of the first foreign anchorwomen to have ever worked in the Italian television.
- She was good friends with the late fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa.
- In 2008, with her own television show at Al-Qahira Wal-Nas, in Cairo, Egypt, she uncovered Hosni Mubarak’s regime in Egypt in matters of politics, economy, and the collapse of society.
- Her first novel Miral (2003), a bestseller, has sold millions of copies worldwide and has been translated into 15 languages.
- The film Miral (2010) received 15-minute standing ovation after its premiere at Venice Film Festival on September 2, 2010.
- Miral became the first film ever to be premiered at the United Nations General Assembly Hall, in the US.
- Visit her official website @ rulajebreal.com.
- Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Fabrizioferri / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0