|Ruth Negga Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||January 7, 1982|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Ruth Negga is an Ethiopian-Irish actress who is best known for portraying roles such as Mildred Loving in Loving, Tulip O’Hare in Preacher, and Raina in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. She has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as World War Z, 12 Years a Slave, Breakfast on Pluto, Isolation, Angela’s Christmas, Warcraft, Doctors, Secret State, The Nativity, Misfits, and many more. Ruth has also done voiceover work in video games for characters such as Ishtar in El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron and Shanalotte in Dark Souls II. For her acting skills, she has been honored with numerous awards such as the Black Reel Award, San Diego Film Critics Society Award, and Satellite Award.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ruth has done Bachelor of Arts degree in acting from the Samuel Beckett Centre at Trinity College in Dublin.
- Father – Dr. Negga (Doctor at Black Lion Hospital in Addis Ababa)
- Mother – Norra Negga (Nurse)
- Siblings – None
Ruth Negga is represented by Markham, Froggatt & Irwin.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
52 kg or 115 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ruth Negga has dated –
- Tadhg Murphy – Ruth got engaged to actor Tadhg Murphy in 2006. The couple later broke up.
- Dominic Cooper (2009-2018) – Ruth Negga met actor Dominic Cooper while working in a stage adaptation of Phedre, in which they co-starred with Helen Mirren. They started dating within months of meeting each other and started living together in London in 2010. They separated in April 2018 after 9 years of dating.
Race / Ethnicity
Ruth Negga is of Irish descent on her mother’s side, while, has Ethiopian ancestry due to her father.
- Short curly hair
34-24-33 in or 86-61-84 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU) or 8 (UK)
8.5 (US) or 39 (EU) or 6 (UK)
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Mildred Loving in the 2016 historical drama film, Loving.
- Having starred in ABC series, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. from 2013 to 2015.
Ruth Negga made her film debut in 2004 with Capital Letters as Taiwo.
First TV Show
Negga first appeared in the 2004 medical soap opera series Doctors in the role of Wanda Harrison in just 1 episode.
Ruth Negga had to undergo training for Israeli martial arts form, Krav Maga to prepare for her role in the Preacher.
She loved her Krav Maga training so much that it became her preferred mode of workout and tries to regularly visit Krav Maga studio to hone her self-defense skills and to remain in best shape.
Ruth Negga Favorite Things
- Painter – Jean-Michel Basquiat
Source – Vogue
Ruth Negga Facts
- In 2010, she became the first black actress to portray the famous historical character, Ophelia in the National Theater of London’s production.
- She moved with her mother from Ethiopia to Ireland at the age of 4 after the break out of political violence. However, her father got stuck in his native country.
- Her father died in a car accident when she was 7. She had to undertake therapy in her early 30s to psychologically come to the terms of her father’s death.
- She got an urge to pursue an acting career after she watched one particular scene in the 1986 fantasy movie. That particular scene had David Bowie walking down the stairs.
- In 2020, she was ranked at the #10 spot in The Irish Times‘ “Ireland’s greatest film actors” list.
- Ruth Negga is not on social media.