|Salman Rushdie Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 19, 1947|
Salman Rushdie is a world-renowned Indian novelist and essayist. His novels include Midnight’s Children (1981), Shame (1983), The Satanic Verses (1988), The Ground Beneath Her Feet (1999), The Enchantress of Florence (2008), The Golden House (2017), and Quichotte (2019). He has many laurels to his name including the Whitbread Prize for “Best Novel”, the Writers’ Guild Award, the James Tait Black Prize, the European Union’s Aristeion Prize for Literature, the London International Writers’ Award, and a U.S. National Arts Award.
Ahmed Salman Rushdie
Union Square, Manhattan, New York, United States
Salman Rushdie studied at the Cathedral and John Connon School in Mumbai, India. After that, he joined Rugby School in Warwickshire, England. Later, he pursued History at King’s College, Cambridge.
- Father – Anis Ahmed Rushdie (Cambridge-educated Lawyer, Businessman)
- Mother – Negin Bhatt (Teacher)
- Siblings – He has 3 sisters.
Salman Rushdie is managed by The Random House Publishing Group, Book Publisher, New York City, New York, United States.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Salman Rushdie has dated –
- Clarissa Luard (1976-1987) – They got married in 1976. They have a son named Zafar Rushdie (b. 1979). The couple divorced in 1987.
- Robyn Davidson
- Marianne Wiggins (1988–1993) – They married on January 28, 1988, and divorced on March 2, 1993.
- Elizabeth West (1997-2004) – They got married on August 28, 1997. They have a son together named Milan Rushdie (b. 1997). However, they divorced in 2004.
- Padma Lakshmi (2000-2007) – The couple got married on April 17, 2004, but, later divorced in 2007.
- Rachel Eliza Griffiths (2019)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Kashmiri descent.
- Bald on the crown of the head
- Keeps French beard
- Drooping eyes
He states that he is a “hardline atheist”.
Salman Rushdie Favorite Things
- Literary Hero Or Heroine – Leopold Bloom in Ulysses
Source – The Guardian
Salman Rushdie Facts
- As a gesture of respect to Averroes Ibn Rushd, Salman’s father adopted the name, Rushdie.
- In 1999, Rushdie underwent an operation to correct ptosis.
- Salman is a supporter of the English football club, Tottenham Hotspur.
- In 1989, he was sentenced to death by Ayatollah Khomeini for his book The Satanic Verses, stating that the book was an insult to the Islamic religion.
- In 2007, he was given the British Knighthood for his services to Literature as a part of Queen Elizabeth II‘s Birthday Honors List.
- He likes video games, comic books, and rock music.
- He holds dual citizenship for the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Salman has been confirmed with the rank of Commandeur in the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres – France’s highest artistic honor.
- Being one of the founders, he served as a Chairman of the PEN World Voices International Literary Festival for almost 10 years.
- In 2008, he was included in the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- As a child, he was a hugely obsessive reader.
- The books he keeps returning to are Saul Bellow’s The Adventure of Augie March, Humboldt’s Gift, and books by Charles Dickens.
Featured Image by Secretaría de Cultura Ciudad de México / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0