|Sasha Velour Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||June 25, 1987|
Sasha Velour is an American drag queen, TV personality, producer, and artist. She is best known for winning the 9th season of the reality-TV competition RuPaul‘s Drag Race in 2017.
Alexander Hedges Steinberg
Berkeley, California, United States
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
In 2004, she graduated from University Laboratory High School in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, United States.
In 2009, Sasha Velour earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, United States. Sasha Velour was a Fulbright Scholar in Moscow, Russia in 2010.
She earned her Master of Fine Arts degree in cartooning from the Center for Cartoon Studies in White River Junction, Vermont, United States in 2013.
Drag Queen, Artist, TV Personality, Producer
- Father – Mark D. Steinberg (History professor at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Author, Editor)
- Mother – Jane T. Hedges (Managing Editor of Slavic Review, Editor) (Passed away from cancer in 2015)
- Siblings – None
Sasha Velour is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment (Talent Agent) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
- House of Velour (Manager) in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
- Witch House Public Relations (Publicist) in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sasha Velour has dated –
- John “Johnny Velour” Jacob Lee (2013-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Russian-Jewish descent on her paternal side.
- Thin lips
- Wide nose
Sasha Velour Favorite Things
- Philosophy In Art – Constructivism
- Song To Perform – Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
- Drag Art Inspirations – Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Andy Warhol
Source – Thotyssey.Tumblr.com, Fandom
Sasha Velour Facts
- Her grandmother emigrated from Ukraine via Manchuria to the United States.
- She was named after a Russian feminist leader named Alexandra Kollontai.
- She used to work as a part-time security guard at the Russian State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- She was once described as “the child of hippie academics” who not only supported but encouraged her gender non-conformity and creativity.
- Sasha Velour is genderqueer and does not have any preferred pronouns outside of drag. The drag persona is referred to as ‘she’ and ‘her’.
- She thought that she would be an actor or a director when she grows up.
- “Sasha” came from her nickname outside of the drag world. “Velour” came from the name of a versatile, cheap material that can be a substitute for velvet, which is a perfect metaphor for drag, according to her.
- Her signature bald head is a tribute to her mom, who died of cancer and lost her hair during the aggressive treatment.
- She used to work as a freelance illustrator and graphic designer before becoming a drag queen.
- In the summer of 2014, she founded a bi-yearly publication titled Velour, The Drag Magazine with her partner Johnny and served as its artistic director.
- She created a comics series titled Stonewall, which covered the story of the Stonewall riots in 1969 from multiple viewpoints.
- She described her signature eyebrows as “Kabuki meets Nosferatu.”
- Sasha Velour tried out for the 8th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race in 2016 but was not selected.
- As the winner of the 9th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race in 2017, she was preceded by Bob the Drag Queen and superseded by Aquaria.
- In September 2018, she attended the 4th annual Diamond Ball founded by Rihanna.
- She is credited for pioneering the use of projection mapping in lip-sync drag performances.
- She and her partner Johnny have an Italian Greyhound named Vanya. It’s short for Ivan The Terrible.
- Her drag sister is Olive D’Nightlife, also known as Didi Panache.
- Sasha Velour is allergic to cats and follows a pescetarian diet.
Featured Image by DVSROSS / Flickr / CC BY-2.0