Bukkapuram Nadella Satyanarayana
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (now Telangana), India
Nadella lives in the suburb of Seattle.
Satya Nadella went to the Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet.
After completion of school education, he got enrolled at the Manipal Institute of Technology from where he graduated in 1988 with a Bachelor of Engineering degree in electrical engineering.
He then got admission at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee and graduated with a Master of Science in Computer Science in 1990. Later, he got admission at the University of Chicago and graduated with an MBA degree.
- Father – Bukkapuram Nadella Yugandher (Civil Servant with the Indian Administrative Service)
- Mother – Prabhavati Yugandhar
Satya Nadella’s representation and management work are managed by his own management team.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Satya Nadella has dated
- Anupama (1992-Present) – In 1992, Satya Nadella got married to Anupama, who is the daughter of his father’s Indian Administrative Service (IAS) batchmate and friend, K.R. Venugopal. They had reportedly met in the 80s while studying in a Hyderabad-based public school. Over the course of their marriage, Anupama had given birth to 3 children – two daughters (Divya Nadella and Tara Nadella) and a son (Zain Nadella). Zain was severely disabled and he weighed just under three pounds at his birth. He had suffered asphyxiation in utero. He was quadriplegic, visually impaired, and had very limited communication. Sadly, Zain passed away on February 28, 2022, in his mid-twenties.
Race / Ethnicity
He traces his ancestry back to Bukkapuram village in Rayalaseema (Andhra Pradesh).
Salt and pepper
- Partially bald
- Wears thick rimmed glasses
- Slight body frame
Best Known For
Being the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Microsoft. Since his appointment in 2014, he has been credited for ushering Microsoft into a new sphere of success and giving its stagnation progress a major boost. He is largely credited for leading Microsoft’s transition to computing giant.
First TV Show
In 2017, Satya Nadella made his first TV show appearance on the comedy talk show, The Daily Show.
Satya Nadella relies on his love for the game of cricket to keep himself in good shape. For him, cricket is much more than a hobby and has influenced the way he runs Microsoft.
Nadella is also a fitness enthusiast and he loves to head out for a run when he has some time on his hands.
Satya Nadella Favorite Things
- Childhood Toy – Cricket bat
- App – Microsoft Office
- Thing to Cook – Hyderabadi Biryani
- Sport – Cricket
- Prized Possession – Cricket bat signed by Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar
- NFL Team – Seattle Seahawks
- Dessert – Pastries
Satya Nadella Facts
- Unlike many other Silicon Valley executives, he doesn’t skimp on sleep and makes sure to sleep for about 8 hours and wakes up at 7 in the morning.
- He is such a cricket aficionado that in his interview with ABC News, he revealed that he would love to be Australian legend, Don Bradman, for a week because, for him, Bradman was the personification of excellence.
- While studying in school, he used to participate in junior cricket. He used to play as a right-arm-off-spin bowler.
- His first professional job was as a member of the ‘technology staff’ of Sun Microsystems.
- He joined Microsoft in 1992 and by 2014, he was appointed as the chief executive officer of the company. He is only the third CEO in the history of the company after Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.
- Some of the job positions he held in Microsoft before his appointment as CEO include Vice-President of the Business Division and Executive Vice-President of Cloud and Enterprise group.
- In October 2014, he was caught up in a controversy after he asked women to trust the system and not ask for a raise at Women in Computing event. He later apologized on Twitter as well as in an email to the Microsoft employees.
- Under his leadership, Microsoft has shown more inclination towards working with rival technologies and companies such as IBM, Apple, and Dropbox.
- In 2016, he led Microsoft’s admission to the Linux Foundation. The company had joined the foundation as a platinum member.
- His first acquisition after his appointment as CEO was of the famous freeform computer building game “Minecraft”. The game was acquired for $2.5 billion at the end of 2014.
- In his free time, he also loves to read Indian as well as American poetry.
- In 2017, he published his book Hit Refresh, which along with autobiographical accounts included his vision for Microsoft and the technology that will shape the future.
- It was announced that the profits from the sales of his book would be channeled to Microsoft Philanthropies and then distributed to various non-profit organizations.
- In 2016, he led Microsoft’s monster acquisition of the business and employee-oriented service, LinkedIn. For the acquisition, Microsoft had to dole out $26.2 billion.
- Under his guidance, Microsoft launched the sale of their first ever laptop, the “Surface Book”. The industry experts pointed out that it would battle Apple for a share in the crowded laptop market.
- Satya had received the third-highest Indian civilian award, Padma Bushan on the eve of 73rd Indian Republic Day in January 2022.
Featured Image by Johannes Marliem / Flickr / CC BY 2.0