|Steve Ballmer Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 24, 1956|
Steve Ballmer is an American businessman and investor who is best known for serving as the chief executive officer of the American multinational technology corporation Microsoft, from 2000 to 2014. On February 4, 2014, he had retired as CEO and was replaced by Satya Nadella. He had remained on Microsoft‘s Board of Directors until August 19, 2014. In May 2014, he had acquired the American professional basketball team Los Angeles Clippers, reportedly pledging USD 2 billion to own the franchise. This was the second-highest bid for a sports franchise in North American sports history, after the USD 2.15 billion sale of the professional baseball team Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012.
Steven Anthony Ballmer
Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, United States
Hunts Point, King County, Washington, United States
Steve’s family had lived in Brussels, Belgium, from 1964 to 1967, and there, he had attended the International School of Brussels, an English-language international school. In 1973, he had attended college prep and engineering classes at the Lawrence Technological University, a private university in Southfield, Michigan.
He had then graduated as valedictorian from the Detroit Country Day School, a private college preparatory school in Beverly Hills, Michigan, with a score of 800 on the mathematical section of the SAT (a standardized test widely used for college admissions in the United States). He was also a ‘National Merit Scholar’, a scholarship administered by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC).
Thereafter, he had joined Harvard College, the undergraduate college of Harvard University, an Ivy League research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He had graduated magna cum laude from there in 1977 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in applied mathematics and economics.
After this, he had joined the Stanford Graduate School of Business, the graduate business school of Stanford University, a private research university in Stanford, California. He had dropped out in 1980 to join Microsoft.
- Father – Frederic Henry ‘Fred’ Ballmer aka Fritz Hans Ballmer (Former Manager at the Ford Motor Company)
- Mother – Beatrice Dworkin
- Siblings – Shelly Ballmer (Sister)
- Others – Schlomo ‘Sam’ Dworkin (Maternal Grandfather), Rachel ‘Rose’ Horing (Maternal Grandmother), Gilda Radner (Second Cousin) (Comedian, Actress) (d. May 20, 1989)
In February 2022, Steve Ballmer’s net worth was $97.4 billion according to Forbes.
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Steve has dated –
- Connie Snyder (1990-Present) – Steve had married Connie Snyder in 1990. They have 3 sons together named Sam Ballmer, Aaron Ballmer, and Peter Ballmer.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Swiss-German descent on his father’s side and Ashkenazi Jewish (Belarusian, Polish) descent on his mother’s side.
- Towering, burly frame
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
Steve Ballmer Facts
- When Steve was 8 years old, his father had predicted that Steve would one day attend Harvard University.
- At Harvard University, he was a manager for the Harvard Crimson football team and was also a member of the Fox Club, a private all-male final club. He had also worked on The Harvard Crimson newspaper and used to live down the hall from fellow sophomore Bill Gates. He had scored higher than Bill in the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition, an examination sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America.
- Around this time, he had also worked as an assistant product manager at the American multinational consumer goods corporation Procter & Gamble for 2 years. During this time, he used to share an office with Jeff Immelt who later went on to become the CEO of the American multinational conglomerate General Electric.
- After this, he had briefly tried to write screenplays in Hollywood before dropping out of the Stanford Graduate School of Business in 1980 to join Microsoft. He had become Microsoft‘s 30th employee and the first business manager to be hired by Bill Gates.
- When Microsoft was incorporated in 1981, Steve had owned 8% of the company. Over the next 2 decades, he had headed several divisions including operations, operating systems development, and sales and support. He was then promoted to the position of the President of Microsoft in July 1998, a title that he had held until February 2001. This had made him the de facto number two in the company. In 2003, he had reduced his ownership to 4%.
- In November 2014, he and his wife Connie had donated USD 50 million to the University of Oregon. Connie is an alumna of the university and had previously served on the institution’s board of trustees. The same month, Steve had donated USD 60 million to his alma mater Harvard University’s computer science department.
- In 2017, he had launched USAFacts.org, a non-profit organization aimed at helping people understand US government revenue, spending, and societal impact. He had contributed USD 10 million to fund teams of researchers who could correctly populate the website’s database with official figures.
Featured Image by Steve Ballmer / Instagram