William Henry Gates III
Seattle, Washington, United States
Medina, Washington, United States
Bill studied at Lakeside School. He was an exceptional student and graduated in 1973 as a National Merit Scholar.
After appearing for his SATs, he enrolled himself in Harvard College, where he opted for a pre-law major and chose mathematics and computer science courses at graduate level. In the summer of 1974, he dropped out of Harvard after consulting with his parents and decided to pursue his business venture alongside Paul Allen.
Business Magnate, Investor, Author, Philanthropist, Humanitarian, Co-founder of the Microsoft Corporation
- Father – William H. Gates Sr. (Retired Attorney, Philanthropist, Author)
- Mother – Mary Maxwell Gates (Businesswoman) (Died on June 10, 1994)
- Siblings – Kristi (Kristianne) (Older Sister), Libby (Younger Sister)
- Others – William Henry Gates I (Paternal Grandfather), Lillian Elizabeth Rice (Paternal Grandmother), James Willard Maxwell (Maternal Grandfather) (Ex-National Bank President), Adele Thompson (Maternal Grandmother)
Michael Larson manages Bill Gates.
5 ft 9.5 in or 176.5 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bill Gates has dated –
- Melinda French (1987-Present) – Melinda worked as a product manager in Microsoft. They first met at a sales meeting in New York. The couple dated for a long duration of 7 years before finally tying the knot on January 1, 1994, in Lanai, Hawaii on a golf course. The couple has 3 children Jennifer Katharine (b. 1996), Rory John (b. 1999), and Phoebe Adele (b. 2002).
Race / Ethnicity
Bill has English, German, Scottish, and Scots-Irish ancestry.
Salt and pepper
Blue with a hint of green
Bill Gates has appeared in a commercial for Microsoft.
Best Known For
- Being the co-founder of the software giant, Microsoft Corporation which he launched in 1975 along with co-founder Paul Allen.
- Being included in the Forbes list of the world’s wealthiest people since 1987.
- His philanthropic work and his generosity. He co-founded a charitable organization called Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000.
Bill hasn’t made his theatrical film debut yet.
First TV Show
Bill made his first television show appearance on the talk show Today in 1989.
Details about Bill’s diet and workout routine are unknown.
Bill Gates Favorite Things
- Hobbies – Reading
- Book – The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Microsoft Project – Windows, Office
- Fast Food Outlet – In-N-Out, Burgermaster
- Spread – Butter, Peanut Butter, Cheese Spread
- Baseball Team – Seahawks
- Chef – Nathan Myhrvold
- Cuisines – Thai, Indian
- Snack – Cheeseburger
Bill Gates Facts
- In his early days, he was a workaholic and did not believe in the concept of taking a break or going on vacations.
- As a teenager, he invented his computer program on the general electric computer when he was studying at the Lakeside School. It was a version of tic-tac-toe where you could play against the machine.
- He traveled in economy class till he bought his private jet in 1997.
- He scored a near-perfect 1590 out of 1600 on his SATs.
- Bill also has somewhat of a wild boy streak. Gates was arrested in Mexico where he was caught driving without a license and ran a red light.
- His most significant fear is a child getting hurt or falling sick.
- He had initially thought of pursuing a career in law and mathematics as his father was a lawyer. He also had a keen interest in physics.
- Bill is not well versed in video games.
- He enjoys playing a game of bridge.
- He enjoys watching his daughter ride horses.
- Bill has two dogs named Oreo and Nilla.
- Bill’s biggest regret in the past had been not knowing any foreign languages.
- He adopted vegetarianism for a year in his early 20s.
- He is fond of eating at McDonald’s and loves Big Macs.
- He is an avid reader and reads at least 50 books a year.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the most extensive private charitable organization in the world.
- He became the youngest self-made billionaire at the age of 31.
- Visit his website @ www.gatesnotes.com.
- Follow Bill on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Featured Image by DFID – UK Department for International Development / Flickr / CC BY-2.0